WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I'd recommend something like Kanto's speakers.
Depending on your budget and size constraints.
Triangle also has a few nice ones now.
Edifier perhaps.

There's a myriad of studio monitors as well, though they're not really that good looking, perhaps the tannoy gold's?
I have been looking at Argon's Forte A5 active speakers for the Ultra. Seems to do the job. Have stumbled upon a good deal on the first version (MK1) of these without USB-Arc (which I guess I will not need, since I will be sending everything through the Ultra). What are your thoughts on the Argon Forte A5? Even goes as low as 40hz, which is as low as my current sub (Argon S850).

IF it is a headphone socket there must be an amplification stage in the Ultra. Did I again miss something?

So just like the Pro & Pro Plus then. Does anyone actually connect these directly to power amp (with no volume control) ?
I do. I have my Wiim Pro connected directly to a pair of Linn LK100s and it works brilliantly. I also connect a Meridian CD transport and Project Debut Carbon via a Project phono box. The 12v trigger connects to a Panamax 4310 which switches the amps on.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the WiiM Ultra, but the deciding factor for me to buy will be support for DSD playback (.dsf and .dff ...) including ISO image. I welcome USB that can be used via a USB hub as an ext. connection. HDD with music and at the same time USB audio output to ext. DAC. I have an ext. HDD a lot of Hi-Res music in a quality that is not available in this quality on streaming services and almost half of it is in DSD. So far I have to play this music through PC and Audirvana player, but I don't want to turn on PC just to listen. I really hope that the developers directed their efforts in this direction as well...!
Otherwise, I already have a Pro (transport to RME ADI2-DAC) and a Pro Plus on a NAD C320 amplifier at home, and I am extremely satisfied with both!
The ability for the Ultra to be able to play DSD files (SACD rips) from an attached USB hard drive would be important to me as well.

An interesting new product from Volumio with 8” touchscreen, AI search, balanced outputs, headphone jack, with a flat profile.

Imagine paying £1,500 and not getting a subwoofer out with bass management.
Imagine paying GBP 1.500 / EUR 1.800 for a Volumio-based product...

As a former Volumio subscriber/user, I can say that I would never substitute any of my WiiM products for any of Volumio-driven products.

There maybe is a very small sound quality advantage on Volumio side, but it is absolutely negated by Volumio's lack of features and especially it's lack of reliability, which drove me crazy and made me switch to the WiiM-based products.

I think there are much better and much more stable streaming solutions, especially for this kind of money.

Last edited:
Back