Above 96kHz there will be silence.

Wiimer

Major Contributor
Today, suddenly it happened.

When I'm playing Amazon music on WiiM, certain songs are silenced. Apparently, only 24bit/96KHz and 192kHz tracks cannot be played. But WHA is playing and there is no sound.

I did an audio test for COAX. Yes, there is no sound at 96KHz and 192kHz.

I disconnected the coaxial cable from the Wiim and reinserted it. I tested it again and it sounded fine.

I don't know the cause of this issue, but if you encounter the same symptoms, try the test audio.

@Wiimer
When I used AMHD a while ago one of the issues I had were the mixed-resolution-albums. If there is only one track of an album in HiRes they labeled it as Ultra HD. And the WiiM sometimes stuttered. May be that can cause kind of a hiccup. But is is only an idea, no further knowledge.
Another check I would try is (if at hand) another cable, just to see if the problem remains.

Today, suddenly it happened.

When I'm playing Amazon music on WiiM, certain songs are silenced. Apparently, only 24bit/96KHz and 192kHz tracks cannot be played. But WHA is playing and there is no sound.

I did an audio test for COAX. Yes, there is no sound at 96KHz and 192kHz.

I disconnected the coaxial cable from the Wiim and reinserted it. I tested it again and it sounded fine.

I don't know the cause of this issue, but if you encounter the same symptoms, try the test audio.
May be that before the Coaxial was not properly inserted?

User Onlyoneme, did some waveform tests for coax signal issued by wiim pro. The waves shape was not at state of art above 96KHz, maybe caused by some capacitive losses due to circuitry design. A reset to coax cable connectors, could lead to a cleaner connection that can make the little difference from "no go" to "go".

@Achim1811
@Maurizio
@merifon

Hi, thank you everyone😉

My problem has been solved, but I still don't know the cause.

The coaxial is inserted deep and I haven't touched it. There was no trouble until yesterday.

There is only one thing that comes to mind. I played Mini and Pro in a multiroom last night. At this time, I pressed the auto-sync button. which may have triggered the problem. (But I couldn't reproduce it)

I've seen @onlyoneme's tests, but they were difficult for me😅

By the way, After switching the WHA output to coaxial, "SPDIF Output Resolution" plays back the test audio and there is sound.
Why?🤔

A few questions and I am aware that I could be on a wrong trace.
- Are different resolutions in your playlists/albums?
- Is it possible that the switch HD/UHD in the WHA under Alexa settings can play a role?
- There is also a chose in the AMHD app which "quality" you want...maybe this can cause that?

The coaxial is inserted deep and I haven't touched it. There was no trouble until yesterday.
faults comes suddenly...
If the contact point of any connection, suffers by oxidation, grease or any kind of dirt and is used with a signal at the weakest limit of safe operation, any kind of variation in temperature , humidity, mechanical stress could lead to a failure, even if nobody touched anything. Moving connectors out and in is often the simplest way to restablish minumum contact requirements

- Are different resolutions in your playlists/albums?

Thank you for your continued kindness.

Yes, the playlist contains different resolutions. Only the 96KHz and 192kHz tracks in it were played in silence.

- Is it possible that the switch HD/UHD in the WHA under Alexa settings can play a role?
The UHD was switched on.

- There is also a chose in the AMHD app which "quality" you want...maybe this can cause that?
No. Native app quality settings don't matter. That setting only applies to playback devices (e.g. Android phones).🙂

faults comes suddenly...
If the contact point of any connection, suffers by oxidation, grease or any kind of dirt and is used with a signal at the weakest limit of safe operation, any kind of variation in temperature , humidity, mechanical stress could lead to a failure, even if nobody touched anything. Moving connectors out and in is often the simplest way to restablish minumum contact requirements

Yes, I agree with you.

However, it feels strange that only 96KHz and 192kHz are completely silent. I didn't even hear any noise.

Yes, I agree with you.

However, it feels strange that only 96KHz and 192kHz are completely silent. I didn't even hear any noise.
of course, it could have been anything but for sure and generally speaking, 96 and 192 are the most difficult to handle. 48KHz are easier to transfer, even a so so connection can handle them without pop's or other noises. Once highest freq signals gone under the threshold, nothing can helps

of course, it could have been anything but for sure and generally speaking, 96 and 192 are the most difficult to handle. 48KHz are easier to transfer, even a so so connection can handle them without pop's or other noises. Once highest freq signals gone under the threshold, nothing can helps

I understand. Thanks for letting me know.😉
I don't know much about audio.

If the same problem occurs again, I try changing the coaxial cable.

[unrelated issue]
For me, this issue starts at > 48 kHz w/ S/PDIF input. I have been troubleshooting it for a week now (yes, I added feedback via the app), but no matter what S/PDIF source I use (Topping D10s or RME Fireface UFX), I just can't get 96 kHz to work. I've tried both cables included with the Pro and the Mini, and a few others, and they can do 192 kHz between my other devices.

Last edited:
For me, this issue starts at > 48 kHz w/ S/PDIF input. I have been troubleshooting it for a week now (yes, I added feedback via the app), but no matter what S/PDIF source I use (Topping D10s or RME Fireface UFX), I just can't get 96 kHz to work. I've tried both cables included with the Pro and the Mini, and a few others, and they can do 192 kHz between my other devices.

Don't see 192kHz on the screen for "SPDIF Output Resolution"?
Screenshot_2023-06-25-00-08-10-261_com.linkplay.wiimhome-edit.jpg

Don't see 192kHz on the screen for "SPDIF Output Resolution"?
I removed that part of my post because it was incorrect. I was blind and missed the 2nd row. :)
The other issue is still a thing though, but when doing more testing, it's probably unrelated to the original issue here, since my entire device seems soft-locked into 48 kHz (the output signal is 48 kHz even when playing 44.1 kHz content).

Sorry, I made a mistake in input and output. I've never used the WiiM's SPDIF input, so I don't know.

(?) > D10s > (SPDIF) > Wiim > (?)

What kind of route is output?

You may get appropriate advice from others.

That's all what you did and it helped?
Maybe some static charges or something similar which was distorting the output signal above the acceptable threshold and preventing the higher frequencies ( = higher bandwidth required, more strict timing etc.) to work properly. WiiM's output is not isolated.

Back