Burn In - Pro Plus

There are actually good reasons to believe in this burn-in theory. I recommend burning in for *at least* 5000 hours before coming to any conclusions or making any other changes which might alter your system and destabilise the burn-in patterns. That should ensure you don't waste money purchasing mythical products or upgrades that make no sonic difference for a good long time :)
Is your name Russel or Teapot? :D

There are actually good reasons to believe in this burn-in theory. I recommend burning in for *at least* 5000 hours before coming to any conclusions or making any other changes which might alter your system and destabilise the burn-in patterns. That should ensure you don't waste money purchasing mythical products or upgrades that make no sonic difference for a good long time :)

Is that method effective for me?
I can't stop shopping a new WiiM every time it's released.

Screenshot_2024-05-02-23-15-40-656_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Why they do not exist? It shouldn't be difficult, for example capture twice the output when device is new, and again after few days/weeks/months, then the comparison and looking for differences which can prove something.
If I remember correctly some work has been done in measuring the subatomic changes in conductors/dielectrics after currents have been flowing through them. If I find it again I'll post it here. But it makes sense that these physical changes can cause conductors to change in behaviour over time (albeit in a subtle manner) even using traditional cable metrics - inductance, capacitance, impedance...

In the mean time, here's a snake oil salesman to explain the concept as it applies to power cables. 😉 Full video is worth a watch!!

Similarly crystal oscillators also can have an adjustment period because the crystals physically change shape during their normal functioning, and so it's similar to a break-in of your speaker drivers...

I'm not sure why but people seem to forget that there are still physical and chemical processes underlying all of our electronics. 🤔

Last edited:
If I remember correctly some work has been done in measuring the subatomic changes in conductors/dielectrics after currents have been flowing through them. If I find it again I'll post it here. But it makes sense that these physical changes can cause conductors to change in behaviour over time (albeit in a subtle manner) even using traditional cable metrics - inductance, capacitance, impedance...
Yes, there can be measurable changes in capacitors with burn in. But fortunately that burn in just takes fractions of, or a small number of, seconds so it happens straight away at first use without anything special being done :)

No need burn is needed since I only use Chromecast in and TOSLINK out. I already played more than 100 hours so it doesn't matter.

The true myth is that measurements can measure what my auditory system can perceive. Measurements are very superficial tools that are useful when tuning a system, but no way to determine what gear to buy. The sound a system produces needs to connect with you auditory system and that is a much more advanced device for measuring true sound quality than an electronics device that can only look at aspects, not the entire sound image.
I’m trebly sorry for asking. Would you be able to point me to the source of the information?

Back