Burn In - Pro Plus

About how long does it take to burn in?
About one second or two, as any electronic pieces of gear of the kind. Burn-in of electronics is a thing, it is just almost instant.
I have asked the engineering department of roksan if the concept of burn in is true . They did not elaborate much on this but for electronics they said 50h use.
Then, you could start listening to anybody else, since this very statement is obviously BS. Or they would have to show measurements or any actual proofs showing the difference between 0h and 50... But they just can't since it is not a thing in any shape or form.

About one second or two, as any electronic pieces of gear of the kind. Burn-in of electronics is a thing, it is just almost instant.

Then, you could start listening to anybody else, since this very statement is obviously BS. Or they would have to show measurements or any actual proofs showing the difference between 0h and 50... But they just can't since it is not a thing in any shape or form.
My position is that I remain agnostic on this issue . Is there a rigorous proof for the contrary ? Don’t put the angry faces to my posts please…come on

Call me olde fashioned but... at some point didnt headphones and or speakers require some time to acclimate themselves? (Not agnostic) i support the religion of good sounds.

Is there a rigorous proof for the contrary ?
Yep. Just common sense. ;) More seriously, the fact that I measure products every week and never observe any changes whatsoever after 1, 2, 5 or 50 hours for the same DUT. Nor that I've never heard anything of the kind. I mean, this is just basic knowledge and it does not deserve any debate. Burnin of DAC/amp is not a thing at all, or more exactly, it is certainly not long term. Warm-up, however... is another topic. A badly designed product could potentially perform differently and unstable when getting warm. This I already observed.
Don’t put the angry faces to my posts please…come on
Not sure why you're taking it personally. You're quoting bullshit statements that do have obvious commercial purposes. I see no reason to not being mad at the ridiculous (and unproven) claims made by Roksan. Not by you. ;)
at some point didnt headphones and or speakers require some time to acclimate themselves?
Hardly debated in research. Could depend on many factors. But this is a whole other topic anyway, since the OP is asking about... a streamer.

Last edited:
Call me olde fashioned but... at some point didnt headphones and or speakers require some time to acclimate themselves? (Not agnostic) i support the religion of good sounds.
Headphones and speakers have moving parts and a period of “wearing in” is definitely true. Never heard the same for purely electronic equipment

Hey Vintage Flanker – while you are all warmed-up on this topic like an old amp ;) I wonder what you think about the widely discussed view on the vintage audio forums that electronic components (like capacitors) change with age, and replacing them improves sound dramatically? (I have no personal experience with that, and to be clear, I agree with you that new electronics “break-in” seems improbable.) So this comparison is probably “old apples to new oranges” but you can see where people get the idea that electronics performance can change over time.

So this comparison is probably “old apples to new oranges” but you can see where people get the idea that electronics performance can change over time.
Electronics performance changes over time. Indeed. Tho, that is not a burn-in phenomenom, it's simply longevity. We aren't talking about dozens of hours, but many many years. Components never change for the better, it's quite the opposite. Capacitors, or any output stages component in general, may not age very well and could get significantly noisier overtime. When it becomes so significant than you could hear it, it's time for a replacement.

Last edited:
I don't Imagine there to be a lot of a lot of improvement in het cheap component like the wiim, but it does contain capacitors and those need burn-in time.

I don't Imagine there to be a lot of a lot of improvement in het cheap component like the wiim, but it does contain capacitors and those need burn-in time.
Which properties are changing during burn-up and into what direction?

All kinds of capacitors or just electrolytes?

Yes, I'm asking from a sceptical engineering perspective.

Electrolitics typically.
Electrolytic capacitors require a “burn-in” time to ensure their reliability and performance. This period allows the capacitors to stabilize and operate as intended. Here’s why burn-in time is important for electrolytic capacitors:

1. Oxidation Layer Formation: When voltage is first applied to a new electrolytic capacitor, an oxidation layer forms on the cathode. This layer is crucial for the capacitor’s function, and the burn-in time allows it to form properly1.
  2. Electrolyte Stabilization: The electrolyte within the capacitor needs time to reach its full potential. During the burn-in period, the electrolyte stabilizes, which can improve the capacitor’s performance1.
  3. Thermal Stability: As the capacitor operates, it reaches a thermal equilibrium. The burn-in period helps achieve thermal stability, which can contribute to the overall stability of the device1.
  4. Dielectric Formation: For aluminum electrolytic capacitors, the dielectric is an aluminum oxide layer that forms on the aluminum foil. This process, known as “forming,” is essential for the capacitor to function correctly2.
The burn-in time can vary depending on the specific type and use of the capacitor. It’s a standard practice in the electronics industry to ensure that capacitors will perform reliably over their intended lifespan.

With all respect, this links link to a diy page. In industry all this things, if necessary, are done before the parts enter the market.

Back