Burn In - Pro Plus

Electrolitics typically.
Electrolytic capacitors require a “burn-in” time to ensure their reliability and performance. This period allows the capacitors to stabilize and operate as intended. Here’s why burn-in time is important for electrolytic capacitors:

1. Oxidation Layer Formation: When voltage is first applied to a new electrolytic capacitor, an oxidation layer forms on the cathode. This layer is crucial for the capacitor’s function, and the burn-in time allows it to form properly1.
  2. Electrolyte Stabilization: The electrolyte within the capacitor needs time to reach its full potential. During the burn-in period, the electrolyte stabilizes, which can improve the capacitor’s performance1.
  3. Thermal Stability: As the capacitor operates, it reaches a thermal equilibrium. The burn-in period helps achieve thermal stability, which can contribute to the overall stability of the device1.
  4. Dielectric Formation: For aluminum electrolytic capacitors, the dielectric is an aluminum oxide layer that forms on the aluminum foil. This process, known as “forming,” is essential for the capacitor to function correctly2.
The burn-in time can vary depending on the specific type and use of the capacitor. It’s a standard practice in the electronics industry to ensure that capacitors will perform reliably over their intended lifespan.
Which AI engine has generated it?

With all respect, this links link to a diy page. In industry all this things, if necessary, are done before the parts enter the market.
Yeah if you buy high end 10000 dollar+ gear if you are lucky.

The burn in time depends, for me it was about 30 seconds, but how quick are you at taking things out of the box?

So
"The concept of capacitor burn-in is generally considered a myth. Capacitors are manufactured to precise specifications and their performance is stable over time. Modern capacitors are designed for long lifespans and shouldn't require a break-in period to achieve optimal performance."

Another AI model.
One that hasn't exclude ASR yet I guess.

Burn in is another form of snake oil nonsense.

If it were snake oil it would cost you a lot of money

So let's look on this:

"The concept of "burn-in" for capacitors, or any electronic component, refers to the process of operating the component for a certain period of time before it is used in its intended application. This is done with the belief that it will improve the component's performance or reliability.

However, the idea of burn-in for capacitors is largely considered a myth for several reasons.

1. No Scientific Basis: There is no scientific evidence or theoretical basis to suggest that burn-in improves the performance or reliability of capacitors. The performance of a capacitor is determined by its physical properties and design, which do not change with use.
  2. No Observable Changes: Unlike some electronic components, such as vacuum tubes or speakers, capacitors do not undergo any physical changes during operation that could potentially improve their performance.
  3. Potential for Damage: In fact, operating a capacitor for an extended period of time without a load can actually cause damage. This is because capacitors can build up heat when they are operated, which can lead to degradation of the component.
  4. Manufacturer Testing: Most manufacturers already perform extensive testing on their capacitors before they are sold. This includes operating the capacitors under a variety of conditions to ensure their reliability.

In conclusion, the idea of burn-in for capacitors is largely a myth. While it is true that some electronic components can benefit from a burn-in period, capacitors are not among them. Instead, the best way to ensure the performance and reliability of a capacitor is to purchase from a reputable manufacturer and use the component within its specified operating conditions."

If it were snake oil it would cost you a lot of money
I’m not going to mention a brand but this brand sells cable that cost arm and leg and people who buy them swear hear night and day difference. Measurements between hanger and exotic cable show fraction of difference.

The only thing that is getting burn in is your wallet and your brain while the brand who sold it to you made large profit.

While streamers are not the same as other parts in the chain, I will say that the WiiM streamer box consists of a processor, some ram, some I/O and a DAC, it is in effect a computer motherboard.

My computer has the same performance score in benchmark tests after 3 years of near 24/7 use as it did on the day it was built. If 3 years isn't enough "burn in" time, nothing is.

Last edited:
To me, burn in test if equipment is reliable and dependable on long term and not to improve performance. I’m sure many of you would argue but that’s just me. I agree with @onlyoneme with his explanation 100 percent.

Found a quote from Woody Allen, which fits my opinion to 100%. Sadly I wasn't smart enough to say that. Let people do what they like. Written by a snake oil skeptic but highly endangered person who still throws out money for obvious nonsense. But I love to do so and it doesn't hurt others.

"If you can delude yourself by believing that there is some kind of Santa Claus out there who is going to bail you out in the end, then it will help you get through. Even if you are proven wrong in the end, you would have had a better life than a non-believer."
(Woody Allen)

Capacitor burn-in is a myth, capacitors degrade over time, capacitors do not improve overtime because of heat. Its the 2nd law of thermodynamics, the concept of entropy. Over time capacitors degrade and you need to replace them before it explodes

The true myth is that measurements can measure what my auditory system can perceive. Measurements are very superficial tools that are useful when tuning a system, but no way to determine what gear to buy. The sound a system produces needs to connect with you auditory system and that is a much more advanced device for measuring true sound quality than an electronics device that can only look at aspects, not the entire sound image.

Back