Burn In - Pro Plus

Found a quote from Woody Allen, which fits my opinion to 100%. Sadly I wasn't smart enough to say that. Let people do what they like. Written by a snake oil skeptic but highly endangered person who still throws out money for obvious nonsense. But I love to do so and it doesn't hurt others.

"If you can delude yourself by believing that there is some kind of Santa Claus out there who is going to bail you out in the end, then it will help you get through. Even if you are proven wrong in the end, you would have had a better life than a non-believer."
(Woody Allen)
I’m sure you will post that you and I can agree on but not this one. Our path will cross someday that I will agree with you.

I’m sure you will post that you and I can agree on but not this one. Our path will cross someday that I will agree with you.
File it under "weird thoughts from a stubborn old man" and hopefully you will pardon me one day ;-)

Last edited:
The true myth is that measurements can measure what my auditory system can perceive. Measurements are very superficial tools that are useful when tuning a system, but no way to determine what gear to buy. The sound a system produces needs to connect with you auditory system and that is a much more advanced device for measuring true sound quality than an electronics device that can only look at aspects, not the entire sound image.
The very common form of measurement in audio is the quantization process and the AD conversion in general.

I wouldn't trust the life of any component that changes after just 100 hours of use, most components are rated for 100,000 hours or more at lower temps.

I don't want them to change every 100 hours of that!

Why they do not exist? It shouldn't be difficult, for example capture twice the output when device is new, and again after few days/weeks/months, then the comparison and looking for differences which can prove something.

Last edited:
Why they do not exist? It shouldn't be difficult, for example captured twice the output when device is new, and again after few days/weeks/months, then the comparison and looking for differences which can prove something.

My guess is that is subtle and nobody cares. On top of that it will happen with use so there is no choice on that

I think it works in electronics . Almost all when new sound more bright
I have auditions countless sound system ranging from 100 to 100,000. The sounds from the first time I heard them till the time it stop functioning was same. As for the price range from decent price to exotic was not mind blowing performance uplift. Exotic price will just get you that remaining 10 percent. I have yet to see or hear a device that will take my soul in heaven. For instance, speaker cone using exotic material sound a little better or not at all in contrast with paper cone. It’s the implementation that matters the most.

It's the same as sanding a freshly bought Levi's. I don't.
I like to enjoy the natural deterioration over time. 🙂

It's the same as sanding a freshly bought Levi's. I don't.
I like to enjoy the natural deterioration over time. 🙂
My first read was "defloration", sorry ;-)
Speakers normally need a few hours, but thats obvious. My cartridges, or more special the styluses getting better after a lot of spins and then the best time of the window starts and I begin watching the hours of usage. Normally after 500 hrs MCs were re-tipped and MMs get a new needle. From the silly old times obsessed by tube/valves amps they too change the sound, in which direction is not always clear. No benefit noticed here when it comes to any solid state devices. They start its life at the top of their performances and from that point the direction is downwards. Good ones work long, bad ones refuse quicker.

@Wiimer It was only my poor attempt of joking ;-)
You are definitively not among the people I suspect to be endangered by nonsense. At least not too much ;-)

My position is that I remain agnostic on this issue . Is there a rigorous proof for the contrary ? Don’t put the angry faces to my posts please…come on

There are actually good reasons to believe in this burn-in theory. I recommend burning in for *at least* 5000 hours before coming to any conclusions or making any other changes which might alter your system and destabilise the burn-in patterns. That should ensure you don't waste money purchasing mythical products or upgrades that make no sonic difference for a good long time :)

Back