Can I stream my songs directly from phone storage using Wiim app?

FerengiROA

Major Contributor
Ordering a Pixel 8 and I am thinking of getting 256GB storage to add a bunch of WAV/FLAC files instead of using Plex or another server.

Will the Wiim Home app stream these files directly from my phones' storage card?

I'm assuming you have a wiim already, having been here for quite some time!
Do you have any music on your current phone?
Should be visible in the 'My Music' section in the browse screen.

I'm assuming you have a wiim already, having been here for quite some time!
Do you have any music on your current phone?
Should be visible in the 'My Music' section in the browse screen.
Yes, I have the Wiim Pro. I am gonna load up a few tracks to try out but was wondering if there were any caveats.

Yes, I have the Wiim Pro. I am gonna load up a few tracks to try out but was wondering if there were any caveats.
None that I know of...
I only have a few hundred on my tablet's external sd card, and they are seen / play with no issues.
Edit - I have mp3 and flac files, no wav ...

Tried to upgrade my phone order but it's in shipping now status.

Good thing is I have a Samsung Tab S2 that I can add up to a 128GB microSD card to. So, I'll save over $40 vs changing my phone to the bigger storage option.

And the Tab S2 is just a big, beautiful display. My 57 year old eyeballs prefer it.

The biggest caveat really is that you're limited to just Artist (Album + Track), Album and Folder view, but if that's not a problem then you should be fine.

Just loaded some tracks on my current phone. Wiim plays them perfectly from internal storage and at full resolution. WAV, FLAC, all formats. Up to 24/192.

Wish I thought to do this sooner. I'm gonna order a 256 or 512GB card for my Tab S2. Confirmed already that a 512 card is supported by the tablet.

Thanks, everyone.

Just loaded some tracks on my current phone. Wiim plays them perfectly from internal storage and at full resolution. WAV, FLAC, all formats. Up to 24/192.

Wish I thought to do this sooner. I'm gonna order a 256 or 512GB card for my Tab S2. Confirmed already that a 512 card is supported by the tablet.

Thanks, everyone.
You can use your laptop or desktop as a media server too.

You can use your laptop or desktop as a media server too.
That's what I'm trying to avoid. It's just more convenient to have all my music on my control device (Wiim Home app on tablet).
I've used Plex for years and, for the most part, it works OK.

It's just less steps overall to cast from my tablets' storage.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. It's just more convenient to have all my music on my control device (Wiim Home app on tablet).
I've used Plex for years and, for the most part, it works OK.

It's just less steps overall to cast from my tablets' storage.
Maybe look into the bubbleupnp app too.
You might find it to be a better experience than the wiim app, but it really needs the paid version.
Only a few bucks though, and free to try.

Landscape mode too ;)

Maybe look into the bubbleupnp app too.
You might find it to be a better experience than the wiim app, but it really needs the paid version.
Only a few bucks though, and free to try.
I use Plex mostly for streaming my Blu-Rays that I backed up to an external HDD.
For music to the Wiim Pro, between the tablet and AMZ Unlimited, I have the best of both worlds, now.
But, I've read good things about bubbleupnp; on here and AVS forums.

I use Plex mostly for streaming my Blu-Rays that I backed up to an external HDD.
For music to the Wiim Pro, between the tablet and AMZ Unlimited, I have the best of both worlds, now.
But, I've read good things about bubbleupnp; on here and AVS forums.
I meant the bubble upnp android app to browse and play the local files on your phone (or galaxy tab) to your wiim.
imo, better than the wiim app.

Last edited:
Happy to report that Wiim app plays nice with an SD card on my Tab S2.

There is no doubt that files do sound better than streaming services in many cases. Comparing WAV and FLAC to hi-res streams from Amazon and I notice less noise/hiss in more than a few tracks. Music just sounds more "alive".

Fleetwood Mac "Dreams" and ELP "From The Beginning" are 2 I could hear right away.

All music going through the Wiim Pro, out to my SMSL DAC/HP amp.

Later, will listen w/o phones to see the comparison.

Happy to report that Wiim app plays nice with an SD card on my Tab S2.

There is no doubt that files do sound better than streaming services in many cases. Comparing WAV and FLAC to hi-res streams from Amazon and I notice less noise/hiss in more than a few tracks. Music just sounds more "alive".

Fleetwood Mac "Dreams" and ELP "From The Beginning" are 2 I could hear right away.

All music going through the Wiim Pro, out to my SMSL DAC/HP amp.

Later, will listen w/o phones to see the comparison.
There are so many different versions/remasters of Dreams on Amazon Music it means you may not be comparing apples with apples. In my AM setup the default Rumours album also inexplicably plays a live version instead of any album studio version forcing a hunt for another album remaster.

There are so many different versions/remasters of Dreams on Amazon Music it means you may not be comparing apples with apples. In my AM setup the default Rumours album also inexplicably plays a live version instead of any album studio version forcing a hunt for another album remaster.
I noticed that, as well. Probably at least 3 or 4 remasters from various years. Many albums/artists seem to do this. The Doors, Pink Floyd, etc.

When you use an server on a computer the pc has to be contant on isn,t it?
Are there any advantages using a tablet playing music to the WIIM amp over a smartphone? If Yes.. which..or anen,t there any?

Back