Can I stream my songs directly from phone storage using Wiim app?

When you use an server on a computer the pc has to be contant on isn,t it?
Are there any advantages using a tablet playing music to the WIIM amp over a smartphone? If Yes.. which..or anen,t there any?
Yes, the PC needs to always be on.

For me, the advantage of using my tablet is that, unlike my smartphone, I can add a SD card of up to 1TB or so while also using the Wiim home app on that tablet to control the Pro.

When you use an server on a computer the pc has to be contant on isn,t it?

yes

Are there any advantages using a tablet playing music to the WIIM amp over a smartphone? If Yes.. which..or anen,t there any?

Some might argue the tablet would be better as it won’t have all the circuitry for making calls and the related signal interference (if indeed there is any) a phone might have, but I’d doubt you’d notice.

Yes, the PC needs to always be on.

For me, the advantage of using my tablet is that, unlike my smartphone, I can add a SD card of up to 1TB or so while also using the Wiim home app on that tablet to control the Pro.
Thanks for you,re reply.
I was thinking to set up a server for playing my files from my pc to the WIIM amp.
But im glas i did read this thread finding out its possiblle directly play files from tablet of smartphone.
I don,t want to have the pc to be constantly on. When using a NAS( i dont have) it also has to be constantly powered on.

My phone has 265 Gb storage. Its enough for me i think. I can use the streamingservices and playing files from my smartphone. Best of both worlds i totaly agree. Havent tried to play files directly from my phone but i will do this later...very glad to have this function too.
When the storage is close to full on my smartphone i can always transfer some files back to my pc to make more storage available for new music.

yes

Some might argue the tablet would be better as it won’t have all the circuitry for making calls and the related signal interference (if indeed there is any) a phone might have, but I’d doubt you’d notice.
Thank you also for you,re reply. Havent thought of that.
But on my phone i have almost all apps disabled for the messages they can send.. :D (y)
Very glad i can play files in this way..best of both worlds i think( streaming,directly playing from phone,tablet).
I will consider buying a tablet in the future..

Yes best of both worlds. One can choose their own qualtiy..for instance cd quality playback.
Advantages with streaming services are convinience also with the AI advantages i think. The suggestions one gets exporing new music,podcasts..
Spotify does a very good job here and its important i think.

May i ask if someone has a good tip which software i can use ripping my cd,s to a pc?
Now i have the WIIM amp its time for this ..so i can play some cd,s from my phone to the AMP.

May i ask if someone has a good tip which software i can use ripping my cd,s to a pc?
Now i have the WIIM amp its time for this ..so i can play some cd,s from my phone to the AMP.
dBpoweramp ($) or EAC and Mp3tag/foobar2000/MusicBrainz Picard.

EDIT: If you're just using the WiiM Home app for indexing then EAC may be enough.

Thank you very much!
I have foobar on my pc wasn,t aware i could rip cd,s with it.
Thanks for all info!
I believe you can and I think it has AccurateRip support too, but I meant EAC for ripping and one of the other tagging programs for any additional requirements - which you may not need if only using the tags supported by the WiiM app.

I believe you can and I think it has AccurateRip support too, but I meant EAC for ripping and one of the other tagging programs for any additional requirements - which you may not need if only using the tags supported by the WiiM app.
Thanks again. Im gonna try foobar for ripping my cd,s. Very glad i can use this in combination of playing files directly from my phone with all the other option WIIM offers.

Thanks again. Im gonna try foobar for ripping my cd,s. Very glad i can use this in combination of playing files directly from my phone with all the other option WIIM offers.
I've never used foobar for ripping so I gave it a quick try and it looks like AccurateRip verification was removed in 1.5.5, so I really can't recommend it. If you really want to use it I'd recommend verifying with CUETools afterwards.

I've never used foobar for ripping so I gave it a quick try and it looks like AccurateRip verification was removed in 1.5.5, so I really can't recommend it. If you really want to use it I'd recommend verifying with CUETools afterwards.
Thanks for you,re help.. what do you recommend using in stead of Foobar?

I always ask myself.._hope i can say this here because it isn,t really related to the topic_ is the hard drive not the downfall of playing files on devices who depend on physical media? (CD ,DVD, Blu ray players)

A while ago i saw someone talking about the importance of blu ray players comparing it to the streaming services. I can understand what he was saying..a blu ray disk can deliver an VBR up to 100 Mbps and even more.

But didn,t he forget the fact that what stored on a physical disk can easely stored on a HDD too... with all the convenience that comes with it storing all you,re files on one Big HDD playing it for instance with an Mibox or a Nvidea shield? This has to do with video files..

One could say the same for CD,s( audio files)..is there such a big difference when having a expensive blu ray player of CD player playing it there or from a HDD,USB stick, Phone direclty to a very good AMP,DAC?
That would be to me the most important question of all.
Because..then one could always consider _with all the convience of the HDD_ investinga also in i high end CD,Blu ray player connecting it digitally to the WIIM amp.

Another thing in this subject is when one buyes an expensive CD player and connecting it the a very good AMP,DAC the DAC in the amp takes over the DAC in the CD player when connecting it via a digital connection. And when only investing in a CD player one cannot play DVD,s, Blu ray,s.meaning if you are willing to buy it one could better invest in a Blu ray player..

But still there is the option of ripping al physical media to an HDD..with a the convience..

And think about when the laser causes problems..or scratches on a disk..
Yes a HDD can give problems too but one could easily back up the files..
Bringing me to the beginning of my reply..isn,t the HDD the downfall_next to the importance of streaming services.._ of playing files on physical media( DISKS)..? The files from all the streaming services are stored in HDD,s(servers)...

Last edited:
Question..
When you play files directly with you're phone the data is transferred how?
Wifi or Bluetooth?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Wi-Fi from the WiiM app
Great.. tested it. Works excellent.
This Amp surprises me again and again.
What a sound..so great 😮😮👍
Such a tiny device with a grandiose Sound.

As I said before..I always thought such experiences with music one could only have with excellent headphone..
WIIM proved me otherwise.
Sometimes I can't believe what I am experiencing with this amp 😮

Last edited:
Also use EAC to rip CDs. Hasn't let me down yet and there are many output quality options and other settings to tweak/edit file names.

Thanks for you,re reply.
I was thinking to set up a server for playing my files from my pc to the WIIM amp.
But im glas i did read this thread finding out its possiblle directly play files from tablet of smartphone.
I don,t want to have the pc to be constantly on. When using a NAS( i dont have) it also has to be constantly powered on.

My phone has 265 Gb storage. Its enough for me i think. I can use the streamingservices and playing files from my smartphone. Best of both worlds i totaly agree. Havent tried to play files directly from my phone but i will do this later...very glad to have this function too.
When the storage is close to full on my smartphone i can always transfer some files back to my pc to make more storage available for new music.
If you have an unused or even daily-use tablet, you can install a SD card and the Wiim Home amp. If Android, I think it needs to be at least Android 7, which my Tab S2 is stuck at. Works great and you get a much bigger display.
And, in the US, my cost for a 256GB card was under $20.

Back