Cell phone or MP3 player connection USB C to RCA

PeteS

Hey guys,

I have tried to connect my Galaxy23 Ultra to the WiiM Amp via USB C to RCA connection, and selected the RCA input. No sound.
The cable is not the issue as I tested it on my Denon amp and it's fine. I also have a HiDizs AP80 Pro-X on the way which I will need to also connect UBS C to RCA.

Has anyone had success in USB C to RCA connection? Cheers!

Sorry but just to check. Do you have the RCAs connected to the input on the wiim. Next stage would be to connect another analogue source to the Wiim input to check the device

The cable is not the issue as I tested it on my Denon amp and it's fine.
Did you test the cable using that same Galaxy S23 Ultra?

This cable is really just a cable, just copper, no further technology. It can only work if the phone does provide an analog audio signal through USB C. On its ground, USB is a digital interface. Just as a temporary solution a thing called "Audio Accessory Mode" (AAM) has been added to the standard, so an analog signal could be put out through USB C.

Trouble is: By far not all devices do support AAM. From what I found in Amazon customer feedback, Samsung phones often do not.

You would need an audio interface or external USB C soundcard if you want to avoid lossy Bluetooth from your phone to the WiiM Amp. Or just use (lossless) Chromecast!

Hey guys,

I have tried to connect my Galaxy23 Ultra to the WiiM Amp via USB C to RCA connection, and selected the RCA input. No sound.
The cable is not the issue as I tested it on my Denon amp and it's fine. I also have a HiDizs AP80 Pro-X on the way which I will need to also connect UBS C to RCA.

Has anyone had success in USB C to RCA connection? Cheers!
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you want to do. Why do you need to cable your phone to WiiM?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you want to do. Why do you need to cable your phone to WiiM?
Yes, as my wifi signal is not the best so until I resolve that connecting my phone to to the WiiM by cable from the USB C to the WiiM RCA input is what I need to do. My KEF LSX active speakers support this but the WiiM may not. I have yet to try a different source as harkpabst suggests.

にYes, as my wifi signal is not the best so until I resolve that connecting my phone to to the WiiM by cable from the USB C to the WiiM RCA input is what I need to do. My KEF LSX active speakers support this but the WiiM may not. I have yet to try a different source as harkpabst suggests.

I think you need to use USB DAC or DDC (USB to Toslink).
But in that case, you might want to connect it to the LSX.

I think you need to use USB DAC or DDC (USB to Toslink).
But in that case, you might want to connect it to the LSX.
Agree with @Wiimer I currently use a DDC to input from a usb source to a Wiim pro toslink. There are various good reasonable prices ones around without having to go to esoteric devices.

My KEF LSX active speakers support this but the WiiM may not. I have yet to try a different source as harkpabst suggests.
Yes, it's really not a question of LSX or WiiM supporting this. When using the same phone and the same cable to connect either to LSX' or WiiM's RCA inputs, then it should either work with both devices or none of them. There either is an analog signal available from the RCA plugs or there isn't.

In any case, your safe bet would be a USB C to S/PDIF converter (coaxial or optical), indeed. No need for an additional DAC and one more ADC in the input section of WiiM or LSX.

This one should do the job:
https://www.amazon.com.au/DSD-TECH-SH-AU01A-TOSLINK-Adapter/dp/B0BNMRYMCT

This one would be even better, but seems.to.be out of stock:
https://www.amazon.com.au/DSD-TECH-SH-AU02A-TOSLINK-Coaxial/dp/B0CL5XJPGC

I reckon, LSX and WiiM Amp are for different rooms?

Last edited:
I purchased the device below, problem fixed, and no degradation in sound. Excellent.
It won't play 24 bit flac through USB so I may need a fix for that but will wait until the Hidizs AP80 PRO-X arrives as that will be the main source (just a shame it doesn't have inbuilt wi-fi so will still need a cable connection)

I purchased the device below, problem fixed, and no degradation in sound. Excellent.
It won't play 24 bit flac through USB so I may need a fix for that but will wait until the Hidizs AP80 PRO-X arrives as that will be the main source (just a shame it doesn't have inbuilt wi-fi so will still need a cable connection)
So, you're connecting your phone using it's regular USB C to USB C cable and the PS100 to the WiiM Amp's analog RCA inputs? Great, you could solve your problem, all on your own, finally. ;)

I didn't look at PS100 close enough when you first posted the link and assumed the RCA sockets were inputs, too. I was wrong.

You do have a D/A conversion in the PS100, the run of analog cable between the devices and then another A/D conversion in the WiiM Amp using this setup. Not ideal in theory, but given the price and the fact this is hopefully a temporary solution it's probably the best you could come up with.

Note that you can change the sample frequency and bit depth of the WiiM's analog RCA input in the device settings. You could try if any possible combination sounds better to you than others.

This won't affect playback of 24 but FLAC through the PS100, of course.

It won't play 24 bit flac through USB ...
According to specs, the USB input is limited to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz sampling frequency, so the problem might not be those FLACs being 24 bit, but 96 kHz or 192 kHz?

Update for those that may be requiring a physical (cabled) connection. Cell phone via USB to RCA had to run through another DAC unit, so a double conversion, not ideal, but sounds okay. Well, did sound okay until my Hidizs AP80 PRO-X arrived. This is USB C direct in to the RCA inputs and it sounds incredible. Really brought our outdoor speakers (Klipsch AW-650's) to life. I need to also experiment with the balanced 2.5mm jack to RCA in WiiM. Next: subwoofer - probably SVS SB-1000 Pro

Back