How to stop the music!

I'm glad - that's what it should be for students - even if its the corporate world's version of free crack to build a customer base - I'm fine with that.

I'm glad - that's what it should be for students - even if its the corporate world's version of free crack to build a customer base - I'm fine with that.
Agree! Quboz does not offer any discount. Tidal you get 50% off. Spotify is same 50% off. I’m surprised that Spotify doesn’t loose customers despite offering lossy quality at same cost as competitions.

Agree! Quboz does not offer any discount. Tidal you get 50% off. Spotify is same 50% off. I’m surprised that Spotify doesn’t loose customers despite offering lossy quality at same cost as competitions.
The average bottle of wine sold in the United States costs $6.25. (80–90 percent is well under $10)
Spotify is the $6.25 wine.

Whilst Spotify is lower quality it had the advantage of being the first serious player to market and it does still have the largest library and it has to be said the best control apps but it’s now getting on the 2 years since they promised a high res service but haven’t delivered. I imagine they are losing share to the hi res competition.

You have a lot of players to choose from in the hi res field and Amazon’s pricing is aggressive. They want to take customers from all their competitors but particularly those that are currently with Spotify and looking for HiFi streaming. That said Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer are far more open when it comes to api’s and have been around for a lot longer in the hi res area.

Whilst Spotify is lower quality it had the advantage of being the first serious player to market and it does still have the largest library and it has to be said the best control apps but it’s now getting on the 2 years since they promised a high res service but haven’t delivered. I imagine they are losing share to the hi res competition.

You have a lot of players to choose from in the hi res field and Amazon’s pricing is aggressive. They want to take customers from all their competitors but particularly those that are currently with Spotify and looking for HiFi streaming. That said Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer are far more open when it comes to api’s and have been around for a lot longer in the hi res area.
Spotify inferior audio quality is debatable, I know plenty of people with expensive audio equipment who listen to Spotify. The advantage of Spotify Connect over other implementations is clear.

Spotify inferior audio quality is debatable, I know plenty of people with expensive audio equipment who listen to Spotify. The advantage of Spotify Connect over other implementations is clear.
I lot of people prefer the Spotify app - esp. for finding new music. I have yet to hear any that loves the subjectively ridiculously bad amazon app 😡

Spotify is convenient in many aspect except the lossy quality. Since most people using their phone to listen quality don’t matter. Their recent release data shows the number subscriber went up instead down.

I lot of people prefer the Spotify app - esp. for finding new music. I have yet to hear any that loves the subjectively ridiculously bad amazon app 😡
Indeed. There are a few such issues that I just can't get over with Amazon, so I've just cancelled my subscription.

I agree it’s convenient and the app is very good. I don’t use Spotify Connect but there is a specific reason for that which I won’t bore you with. I don’t have golden ears but I can hear the difference. I agree that lots of people can’t tell the difference at all.
I have a Spotify family plan which others use but if I’m not playing my own Vinyl or CD rips I tend to play Qobuz but all through my LMS server.
The WiiM is acting as an LMS player and apart from one area is performing very well. The one area is Replay Gain or lack of.

Spotify with its connect will work on virtually any streamer, on the other hand amazon doesn’t have connect and can only work on air play and chromecast but chromecast sound was poor.

On rasbery pi? Spotify connect work and free software.
There isn’t currently any Raspberry Pi implementation that I know of. Apple & Amazon are the two sources that haven’t provided any API to outside systems without serious $ involved. Both want to sell you hardware but Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer & Spotify have no hardware to sell so their focus is on working with manufacturers and getting subscribers.

There isn’t currently any Raspberry Pi implementation that I know of. Apple & Amazon are the two sources that haven’t provided any API to outside systems without serious $ involved. Both want to sell you hardware but Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer & Spotify have no hardware to sell so their focus is on working with manufacturers and getting subscribers.
I don’t know what apple thinking, they release their high definition loseless only to crippled by airplay 16/48. I don’t see any airplay update that will support 192khz on the horizon.

I don’t know what apple thinking, they release their high definition loseless only to crippled by airplay 16/48. I don’t see any airplay update that will support 192khz on the horizon.
So of the top-tier streaming services, so far:
  • Spotify doesn't want to invest in providing lossless audio (much less high-res);
  • Apple doesn't want to invest in a broadly-available Connect-type functionality;
  • Amazon doesn't want to invest in the user experience.
I think Amazon will have the greatest challenges addressing its problem. Good user experience is just not in their DNA. It's *really* difficult to change culture (and business models, frankly).

Spotify's problem is that it's just not a profitable business, and so far they see no current need to channel cash flow to pull in and retain customers, given their other significant advantages, since lossless appears not to be an important priority for their customer base.

Apple has the cash and culture of competitive innovation that could set up Connect functionality and make the service broadly available to consumers heretofore not Apple customers. I'd be astonished if they haven't been thinking about this, given their recent emphasis on subscriptions and services, though wouldn't be surprised if they don't follow through. But they do have the best and most achievable opportunity of the three, IMHO.

So of the top-tier streaming services, so far:
  • Spotify doesn't want to invest in providing lossless audio (much less high-res);
  • Apple doesn't want to invest in a broadly-available Connect-type functionality;
  • Amazon doesn't want to invest in the user experience.
I think Amazon will have the greatest challenges addressing its problem. Good user experience is just not in their DNA. It's *really* difficult to change culture (and business models, frankly).

Spotify's problem is that it's just not a profitable business, and so far they see no current need to channel cash flow to pull in and retain customers, given their other significant advantages, since lossless appears not to be an important priority for their customer base.

Apple has the cash and culture of competitive innovation that could set up Connect functionality and make the service broadly available to consumers heretofore not Apple customers. I'd be astonished if they haven't been thinking about this, given their recent emphasis on subscriptions and services, though wouldn't be surprised if they don't follow through. But they do have the best and most achievable opportunity of the three, IMHO.
I think that for Spotify it's just a simple decision they can make anytime, but they just don't feel like they have to do that yet. It's very similar to Apple's position.

Back