How to stop the music!

Each services has compromised, qoboz lack the connect features. Tidal may have been great if not for mqa fiasco but also the most expensive for hifi plus to get higher than CD, apple decent apps and great selection but crippled by airplay. Spotify the most user friendly just lack the quality sound.

So of the top-tier streaming services, so far:
  • Spotify doesn't want to invest in providing lossless audio (much less high-res);
  • Apple doesn't want to invest in a broadly-available Connect-type functionality;
  • Amazon doesn't want to invest in the user experience.
I think Amazon will have the greatest challenges addressing its problem. Good user experience is just not in their DNA. It's *really* difficult to change culture (and business models, frankly).

Spotify's problem is that it's just not a profitable business, and so far they see no current need to channel cash flow to pull in and retain customers, given their other significant advantages, since lossless appears not to be an important priority for their customer base.

Apple has the cash and culture of competitive innovation that could set up Connect functionality and make the service broadly available to consumers heretofore not Apple customers. I'd be astonished if they haven't been thinking about this, given their recent emphasis on subscriptions and services, though wouldn't be surprised if they don't follow through. But they do have the best and most achievable opportunity of the three, IMHO.
Very good note. The one item I question is whether Amazon has customer service in their DNA. I find their app to be an anomaly for them. Their Amazon.com website is a poster child for smooth operations and solid service. Their AWS offering which we use extensively in five countries is brilliant - both ease of use and support. Their app - well maybe it could be worse - just not sure how.

I think that for Spotify it's just a simple decision they can make anytime, but they just don't feel like they have to do that yet. It's very similar to Apple's position.
I'm pretty confident in thinking that Spotify's original plan was to charge a premium for lossless music, which would have enabled them to at least break even on the move. Apple and Amazon short-circuited that idea. Streaming higher-quality audio would require investments in infrastructure and quite possibly increased licensing costs, and having never made a profit, Spotify sinking any money at all into lossless music without any hope of being able to pay for it would be a show-stopper. Evidently, they see more opportunity in building out podcasting, etc, and IMHO they know more about running their own business than I would.

I'm pretty confident in thinking that Spotify's original plan was to charge a premium for lossless music, which would have enabled them to at least break even on the move. Apple and Amazon short-circuited that idea. Streaming higher-quality audio would require investments in infrastructure and quite possibly increased licensing costs, and having never made a profit, Spotify sinking any money at all into lossless music without any hope of being able to pay for it would be a show-stopper. Evidently, they see more opportunity in building out podcasting, etc, and IMHO they know more about running their own business than I would.
Perhaps we will see a Spotify/Qobuz or Spotify/Deezer merger one day.

Very good note. The one item I question is whether Amazon has customer service in their DNA. I find their app to be an anomaly for them. Their Amazon.com website is a poster child for smooth operations and solid service. Their AWS offering which we use extensively in five countries is brilliant - both ease of use and support. Their app - well maybe it could be worse - just not sure how.
Prime Video has its own warts, too, in terms of UX. Ironically, Amazon's zealous mission to just sell as much stuff as possible to people minimizing expenses and maximizing margins explains a lot of how they've become the company they are today, for good and for ill.

Prime Video has its own warts, too, in terms of UX. Ironically, Amazon's zealous mission to just sell as much stuff as possible to people minimizing expenses and maximizing margins explains a lot of how they've become the company they are today, for good and for ill.

Ah, you are so right there. I'm convinced the FREE FOR ME toggle button isn't connected to anything.

Perhaps we will see a Spotify/Qobuz or Spotify/Deezer merger one day.
Qobuz and Deezer would be unable to acquire Spotify. And beyond the probably impossible regulatory hurdles, Spotify simply can't afford to buy either of those companies, unless one of them falls into bankruptcy and the brand could be had for a song. I could see Google maybe doing an acquisition, since before Google Play Music came into being from Songza's ashes, there were persistent rumors they seriously explored acquiring Spotify. Although I'm more inclined to think they will just keep developing YTM organically rather than through bolt-ons.

Ah, you are so right there. I'm convinced the FREE FOR ME toggle button isn't connected to anything.
I think they might have removed that, I couldn’t see it today when I was browsing. Prime Video still has its good share of free quality films and series, even leaving aside the ad supported FreeVee service.

Interesting debate but remember as I said before in the case of Amazon and Apple it’s also about shifting their own hardware.

I can’t ever see a reason that I would consider Apple Music - despite owning 3 iOS things - and I still maintain that Amazon do some server side DSP but I suppose that could be because hitherto my only experience of Amazon music has been via single speaker Echo things.

I prefer Qobuz overall but not using their app or the WiiM app.

Interesting debate but remember as I said before in the case of Amazon and Apple it’s also about shifting their own hardware.

I can’t ever see a reason that I would consider Apple Music - despite owning 3 iOS things - and I still maintain that Amazon do some server side DSP but I suppose that could be because hitherto my only experience of Amazon music has been via single speaker Echo things.

I prefer Qobuz overall but not using their app or the WiiM app.
Sorry - what do you mean (I prefer Qobuz overall but not using their app or the WiiM app)? How do yo use it? Web?

Sorry - what do you mean (I prefer Qobuz overall but not using their app or the WiiM app)? How do yo use it? Web?
I use it via LMS which has a plugin.

Two modes.
1. Once a week I look at the New Releases via web and favourite a few. They are then immediately available to play via LMS
2. LMS has a Don’t Stop The Music facility and a plugin that uses LastFM database to curate a dynamic playlist based on what you were playing. This pulls tracks from both my local library and Qobuz. It’s not random but instead like a Spotify focused “radio”

Qobuz’s weekly releases newsletter and their suggestions make me feel like pouring a Cognac and clipping the end off a fresh Churchill while wearing my black turtleneck and sitting in an Ekornes chair. Apple Music makes me want to yell at Gen Zers in Yeezy sneakers that the music they listen to is all crap.

Your analogy is well made except for the Cognac - I’d replace with a nice red from Bordeaux - and the Churchill as I’ve given up even cigars in favour of more vinyl!

Sorry, I forgot to translate “sneakers” into “trainers” for my friends across the pond. Now, if I can just find my soccer cleats I was going to trade them for some football boots.😁

Qobuz’s weekly releases newsletter and their suggestions make me feel like pouring a Cognac and clipping the end off a fresh Churchill while wearing my black turtleneck and sitting in an Ekornes chair. Apple Music makes me want to yell at Gen Zers in Yeezy sneakers that the music they listen to is all crap.
Nicely put observation, but depending when and how Apple rolls out its Primephonic successor service, that might just tip the balance for me. I like Qobuz, but have to admit there are some grave doubts how long they can continue as a going concern. And the availability of a really strong offering from Apple in the classical music arena won't make it any easier for them.

I'm concerned about the fundamental viability of Tidal as well, but ongoing patronage from Mad King Ludwig (aka Jack Dorsey) could keep them from going extinct for quite a long time.

Where do you sign up for the newsletter or does it just come if you allow communications from Qobuz? Thanks very much.

Back