Multiroom using Optical Input

onelivewire

I have a handful of Wiim(s?) set up in my house, with 3 pros and 3 minis. The main feature I use then for is Multiroom audio

Typically I use Tidal connect with these and other than dropping off the network on occasion, they work exceedingly well.

Recently I tried to link additional rooms while receiving an optical input on one of my wiim pros. Rather than sync, both went silent. Attempting the same with a Chromecast feed I had the same experience.

Is this by design? I'd love to be able to stream music via my TV and have it synced across the house.

Hmm interesting. What is to set a wiim as 'prime'?
I don’t know, just thinking out loud - maybe the one that is highlighted on the device page before you click on the link icon on another device is taken to be the one whose input is used. Try it both ways I.e. select device A on the Devices screen, then link device B, or vice versa and see which device’s audio input works.

Gotcha - thus far I've been playing on only one device and then linking into that with the secondary. I'll have to try playing around with it when I get back in town.

Works for me.
Tv into optical in on Pro A.
Devices screen of wiim app, press the paperclip icon on Pro A, being the 'master', and add Pro B.
Tv sound played from both wiims.

However, the audio delay introduced going through pro A makes tv unwatchable.
Tv optical straight into dac, sound and lips totally in sync.
Via pro, optical in, then optical out, I estimate at least a half second delay.

It's a shame, as I was hoping to leave my pro on optical out and use it for tv / music without having to open the wiim app to have to change input / output.
If only it did optical and coax output simultaneously, but I guess being able to specify different output sample rates / bit depths per output prevents that.

Last edited:
Ok, I need to bactrack slightly!
When Pro A is on its own again, the sound and lips are in sync again.

The 0.5+ sec delay is only when the wiims are grouped, which might be fine if just casting music via a tv as there's nothing to 'see' the delay against.

So, I'm happy after all ;)

Hmm... I had a chance to test today and still, the moment I link the kitchen wiim in the app shows this and my office goes silent. Would using Optical out on both have anything to do with it? Screenshot_20230910-193449.png

On a separate note, what does the rectangle icon next to the wiim name with the play button inside mean? It's next to a few of my wiims but doesn't seem to correspond to mini v pro or anything else I can discern...

From the screenshot it looks like you are playing something on the Office that you also want to play on the Kitchen.
i.e. you pressed the paperclip on the Office device and chose to add Kitchen.

When I add one device to another there is a short pause, then the music resumes on both.

I don't believe optical out has anything to do with it.
Just yesterday we had spotify chromecasting to a (video) chromecast attached to a tv.
Tv optical out to Pro 3 optical in.
Pro 2 and Pro 1 added to Pro 3's group.
All played the spotify stream perfectly.
(Pro numbers relate to signature)

Last edited:
You've obviously been fiddling... why else would you set the office to "R", rather than "LR" like the kitchen :)

Haha, good eye - I was indeed trying to jog the system somehow.

I'm used to the pause and then resume as I experience the same with Tidal Connect when synchronizing other rooms, but for some reason the Optical input just doesn't want to play nice with this feature for me.

p.s. I'm copying your signature format!

Haha, good eye - I was indeed trying to jog the system somehow.

I'm used to the pause and then resume as I experience the same with Tidal Connect when synchronizing other rooms, but for some reason the Optical input just doesn't want to play nice with this feature for me.

p.s. I'm copying your signature format!
And I thought I had a hi fi purchasing problem....

Haha, decade in the making. Ready to chill out now that I finally have a multi-room solution, buggy as this one bit may be.

I may try playing with the resolution of the optical, as this input is coming from the pc

Aha! Hopefully this helps someone else who runs into this issue. While the Pro had no issues playing back a 24/192 source via the optical input, I got only silence on my other Wiim Zones after linking/syncing. I had to drop down the source to 24/48. Once I did this, the system effectively syncs for multiroom use.

Aha! Hopefully this helps someone else who runs into this issue. While the Pro had no issues playing back a 24/192 source via the optical input, I got only silence on my other Wiim Zones after linking/syncing. I had to drop down the source to 24/48. Once I did this, the system effectively syncs for multiroom use.
You wouldn't have these issues using spotify :ROFLMAO:
Hi rez... more trouble than it's worth...

Hah, probably true! I've had no issues with Spotify or Tidal, but always left the PC itself on a high resolution because 'why not?'

Welp, I guess this is why!

I have a handful of Wiim(s?) set up in my house, with 3 pros and 3 minis. The main feature I use then for is Multiroom audio

Typically I use Tidal connect with these and other than dropping off the network on occasion, they work exceedingly well.

Recently I tried to link additional rooms while receiving an optical input on one of my wiim pros. Rather than sync, both went silent. Attempting the same with a Chromecast feed I had the same experience.

Is this by design? I'd love to be able to stream music via my TV and have it synced across the house.
This is a bug with the mutiroom aduio, we will check this issue ASAP.

Also, please help to go to the Settings tab -> Feedback to send us feedback; it's very useful for us to debug this issue.

Also, please help to go to the Settings tab -> Feedback to send us feedback; it's very useful for us to debug this issue.
I would have thought you could replicate this yourselves very easily!
Group two wiims, and play 192khz signal into optical in on the master.

Back