Popping/clicking when switching tracks

AdieH

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian

Does it happen when songs sample rates are different? The same? Doesn't matter?
I am currently not listening to music, but I will make that observation next time I am listening. But, if I had to take a guess I would say yes seeing as not all tracks are the same bit rate in the playlist.

I am currently not listening to music, but I will make that observation next time I am listening. But, if I had to take a guess I would say yes seeing as not all tracks are the same bit rate in the playlist.
If it happens exclusively when sample rate changes, you could try to add a delay to sample rate switching in the Home app settings to see if it helps.

If it happens exclusively when sample rate changes, you could try to add a delay to sample rate switching in the Home app settings to see if it helps.
Thanks Onlyoneme, I’d heard about this ”fix” in one of the firmware updates but hadn’t remembered to try it. Just looked and it’s in the audio output settings. Any suggestions as to what amount to set it at to start, or is this a trial an error sort of thing? Also silly question, will it affect any gapless playback? I suppose not seeing as a recording/album with gapless play would be all the same but rate.

Does it happen when songs sample rates are different? The same? Doesn't matter?
Im happy to report with the latest update that there are no more pops, clicks or static noise when changing tracks or sample rates using my Pro into a Theta Dac.

Thanks Wiim, glad you got it sorted out.

So Happy!
hi ryan. can you confirm a few things for me please.

what model theta dac are using ?

is your theta dac locked by the pro once booted and whilst not receiving any airplay content ?

if you use your phone to alter the volume of wiim, if on setting the volume to zero on the phone does this state unlock
the dac

finally, when switching phone apps (if you can) say bbc sounds to spotify does that momentarily unlock your dac.

thanks

hi ryan. can you confirm a few things for me please.

what model theta dac are using ?

is your theta dac locked by the pro once booted and whilst not receiving any airplay content ?

if you use your phone to alter the volume of wiim, if on setting the volume to zero on the phone does this state unlock
the dac

finally, when switching phone apps (if you can) say bbc sounds to spotify does that momentarily unlock your dac.

thanks
Hi

I'm using a Theta DS Pro Prime 2.

1. Yes it is locked, as long as the app is open before you turn on the Wiim it locks as soon as it connects.

2. I turned the volume to zero and it stays locked.

3. If i change to different streaming services within the Wiim App it stays connected all the time.

Hope this helps.

Don't know if recent updates have resolved people's problems with popping on a single unit but it still happens playing multioom music.

This and has been for a widely known issue for a long time and as it's advertised as for multiroom use shouldn't happen.

I'm very much in the @Mistabowjangles camp with it should work .... especially if they're using it as an advertising feature to sell products.

This pop and click has the most comments thus far. Firmware and apps updates hasn’t fixed others issue. Maybe their external dac has the issue not wiim.

I'm having the same issue with the clicking (using wiim mini on Amazon music). Only solution is to not use spdif out. Switching to aux out, no clicking between songs

I pulled WiiM out of the closet to check how things were going. No changes.
There's a lot of talk about external DACs, but it doesn't matter. The problem is in the WiiM itself. I use AUX output. the internal audio processor is constantly turned on and off when the source/state/track changes.

At the beginning of the year, I made a mistake when I spoke about the absence of these events on the wave chart. There was a low sensitivity at the line-in input. Now I turned on the spotify and recorded again (using a large input gain and a low volume on the streamer). Pops are clearly visible.

If this was done to save money, then this is madness. In idle the streamer consumes 5v and 0.18A, in operation 5v and 0.2~0.21A. The difference of 0.15W was not worth the existence of such a fundamental problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 161412.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 161412.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 7
  • click.ogg
    180.9 KB
Last edited:
it's a massive shame tbh. all we need is a high output all the time.

i've said before , if folk want to an option to turn that off to save a few watts, fine. but historically audiophiles would want their kit to remain warm.

disappointing to see this has still to be resolved.

it's a massive shame tbh. all we need is a high output all the time.

i've said before , if folk want to an option to turn that off to save a few watts, fine. but historically audiophiles would want their kit to remain warm.

disappointing to see this has still to be resolved.
Hi there,

To turn off standby mode, head to the WiiM Home App. Go to 'Device' > tap the gear icon > choose 'Standby Mode' > set to 'Never.' Give it a try and let us know how it goes! Thank you!

Hi there,

To turn off standby mode, head to the WiiM Home App. Go to 'Device' > tap the gear icon > choose 'Standby Mode' > set to 'Never.' Give it a try and let us know how it goes! Thank you!
What will this solve? What will the transition to this mode give? The crackling noise when changing the track sampling still happens again!

What will this solve? What will the transition to this mode give? The crackling noise when changing the track sampling still happens again!
All I could do was change to 16/44.1 in the app. There are no clicks after that. In any other variants, there are clicks when switching bitrate and sampling.
Sometimes playback freezes when switching tracks, tracks start switching themselves until playback starts.

Late to this thread, as I just now experienced the issue. I have been running a setup with a Pro, coax connection to an SMSL SU-1 DAC, RCA to a Schiit Saga S preamp and RCA to an old Hafler amp. No issues with that setup. As an experiment, I removed the preamp from the chain and controlled volume from the Pro. The double clicks between tracks appeared whether manually selecting tracks or tracks changing automatically in a playlist. Adding the preamp removes the clicks.

I too have experienced it with Wiim Pro to my Cambridge Audio DAC via optical and coax. Used the latency switch delay without success. This only occurs when changing tracks from HD to UHD (Amazon Music-speak). Downgrade and same bit/sampling tracks are ok.

I too have an SMSL SU1 currently hooked to my PC in my office room use that I could try.

I don't recall having this clicking/popping problem using my old Chromecast Audio via optical out.

A ticket was created last week.

Last edited:
I've sent them so many messages / posts in forums saying test their software before releasing it, if they don't they make themselves look stupid in the West / Europe and time and time again they've said they will in the future .... and when they don't you realise you're just being fobbed off.

The company do so much that is right but they very seriously need to take this onboard as it could be what kills them as they'll very quickly be regarded as a toy if they constantly have the same recurring software issues.

I've previously reported this, they set me up with a beta firmware to try and resolve it ... and it seemed like they did ... briefly ..... but as others are reporting it's happening again.

I've also reported on so many occasions that the Amazon App loses control of what's playing and if you've cast from it to one device, you can't then stop / change it to casting to another WiiM .... the fact we've been here before with both issues is totally Mickey Mouse.

These issues have been so widely reported before and yet they keep being re-introduced every time they do an upgrade. I don't know who's looking after their source / quality control but it's totally 3rd rate and stinks of a company that's only interested in profit rather than keeping their customers happy.

As usual, if you’re experiencing an issue, please submit a ticket thru the feedback section in the WiiM app so your device logs can be inspected for evidence.

I know you're doing a lot but I'm sorry I'm fed up raising F**7&g tickets ... I have better things to do with my life as most that'll buy their products do and the directors need to realise that.

I've sent them so many messages / posts in forums saying test their software before releasing it, if they don't they make themselves look stupid in the West / Europe and time and time again they've said they will in the future .... and when they don't you realise you're just being fobbed off.

The company do so much that is right but they very seriously need to take this onboard as it could be what kills them as they'll very quickly be regarded as a toy if they constantly have the same recurring software issues.

I've previously reported this, they set me up with a beta firmware to try and resolve it ... and it seemed like they did ... briefly ..... but as others are reporting it's happening again.

I've also reported on so many occasions that the Amazon App loses control of what's playing and if you've cast from it to one device, you can't then stop / change it to casting to another WiiM .... the fact we've been here before with both issues is totally Mickey Mouse.

These issues have been so widely reported before and yet they keep being re-introduced every time they do an upgrade. I don't know who's looking after their source / quality control but it's totally 3rd rate and stinks of a company that's only interested in profit rather than keeping their customers happy.

I know you're doing a lot but I'm sorry I'm fed up raising F**7&g tickets ... I have better things to do with my life as most that'll buy their products do and the directors need to realise that.
Hi Witterings,

Could you clarify the specific recurring issues you're encountering? Your comments appear to be off-topic for this thread, and I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Thank you!

Hi Team,

Update on the Track Switching Noise Issue:

The popping or clicking noise when switching tracks is often due to changing sample rates. Some DACs, speakers, or amplifiers struggle with varying sample rates, especially at their optical/coaxial inputs, resulting in noise as they try to synchronize.

If your device is affected, try setting the output resolution to 16-bit/44.1k to see if it resolves the issue. We're releasing new firmware for such devices soon, allowing fixed sample rate settings up to 192k/24-bit. Stay tuned for more details!

Back