Popping/clicking when switching tracks

AdieH

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian

We're releasing new firmware for such devices soon, allowing fixed sample rate settings up to 192k/24-bit.

Do you plan to have a single fixed setting, or will we be able to choose a minimum setting in the same way we can currently choose a maximum?
i.e. you either upsample to the minimum or downsample to the maximum if the source is outside the range, else leave unaltered.

I appreciate that the simple, single option fix would work best in all scenarios (i.e. to eliminate rate change noises), but I also think that many would prefer, for example, an album at 96khz to not be upsampled by the wiim to 192 while still being able to play a subsequent album at its native 192.

Edit: and it ought to be obvious, but setting the min and max to the same results in a fixed output.

@Brantome
One more for the list!

Last edited:
Hi Mr Ee,

Our device is designed for bit-perfect output by default, without any resampling. For affected devices, we plan to introduce an option to set a fixed sample rate.

Regarding your suggestion of setting a minimal sample rate, this approach unfortunately won't resolve the issue for these devices. The variance in sample rates between tracks can still lead to problems.

Hi Mr Ee,

Our device is designed for bit-perfect output by default, without any resampling. For affected devices, we plan to introduce an option to set a fixed sample rate.

Regarding your suggestion of setting a minimal sample rate, this approach unfortunately won't resolve the issue for these devices. The variance in sample rates between tracks can still lead to problems.
I totally agree that a min/max approach could still lead to some noises, but by forcing a fixed output you remove bit perfect output for anything but a source at that output, and who isn't going to choose the max possible?!

What I suggested still allowed for a single, fixed output if desired, would likely decrease (but not eliminate) such noises, and increase the ability to retain bit perfect output for a wider range of sources without having to delve back into menu options to disable (what is almost certainly going to be mainly) upsampling.
I'm waiting for the requests for you to provide details on the resampling method used!!

Either way, I'm really glad to see that you are trying to provide a solution for users with this issue.
To a large degree, this is not your problem to solve.

I totally agree that a min/max approach could still lead to some noises, but by forcing a fixed output you remove bit perfect output for anything but a source at that output, and who isn't going to choose the max possible?!

What I suggested still allowed for a single, fixed output if desired, would likely decrease (but not eliminate) such noises, and increase the ability to retain bit perfect output for a wider range of sources without having to delve back into menu options to disable (what is almost certainly going to be mainly) upsampling.
I'm waiting for the requests for you to provide details on the resampling method used!!

Either way, I'm really glad to see that you are trying to provide a solution for users with this issue.
To a large degree, this is not your problem to solve.
Hi Mr Ee,

Our testing indicates that devices experiencing this issue require a fixed sample rate. Any variation in sample rate can cause noise issues, making a single, fixed sample rate necessary.

To have optimal performance, the downstream devices need to support variable sample input.

Hi Witterings,

Could you clarify the specific recurring issues you're encountering? Your comments appear to be off-topic for this thread, and I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Thank you!

The popping in between tracks has been reported several times by both me and many others so to say my comment are off-topic is 100% wrong ... it was a worse issue with multiroom music casting from the Amazon App.

My other comment relates to ticket number 494194 which apart from an automated response has been totally ignored.

I've reported both of these issues previously ... on more than a couple of occasions ... I'll happily spend time gong back through all my e-mails and posts in this forum to find all of them if you're happy to pay for my time to do so.

Will you also improve the quality of internal resampling? Actually when downsample must be performed, the bit depth is also reduced to 16 bit.
Hi onlyoneme,

Could you provide details on the specific scenario where downsampling to 16 bits occurs? My knowledge is limited to multi-room audio situations.

Hi onlyoneme,

Could you provide details on the specific scenario where downsampling to 16 bits occurs? My knowledge is limited to multi-room audio situations.
Sure. A plot below, test tone at 96/24 vs the same tone but with toslink output resolution limited to 48/24. Signal is delivered via WHA.

1704054513151.png

Moreover my DAC reports here only 16 bit depth.

Sure. A plot below, test tone at 96/24 vs the same tone but with toslink output resolution limited to 48/24. Signal is delivered via WHA.

View attachment 4391

Moreover my DAC reports here only 16 bit depth.
Thanks, onlyoneme. I'll have our team re-examine this. Just to clarify, you're saying that with a maximum output resolution set at 48k/24b and a test resolution of 96k/24b, the actual output is dropping to 48k/16b, correct?

Floating this one up to see if there are any updates to address this issue some of us are experiencing. Yes I (and many others) have ticket with Wiim.

Floating this one up to see if there are any updates to address this issue some of us are experiencing. Yes I (and many others) have ticket with Wiim.
Hi wunderkind, Team

We're excited to announce that a firmware fix for Line out on WiiM Mini/Pro is currently undergoing thorough internal testing. For those who have the DAC that can't handle changing sample rate well from their optical or coax input, we provide the fixed frame rate option with a good ASRC.

If you're interested in being an early adopter as one of our Beta users, we'd love to have your involvement. Please provide your ticket number, and I will coordinate with our team to authorize a Beta version specifically for your device.

Participating as a Beta user offers you the opportunity to experience improvements firsthand and provide valuable feedback that can shape the final release. If you prefer to wait for the official update, rest assured, we are on track to release this fix in our public firmware by the end of January. Your choice and support in this process are greatly appreciated.

Hi wunderkind, Team

We're excited to announce that a firmware fix for Line out on WiiM Mini/Pro is currently undergoing thorough internal testing. For those who have the DAC that can't handle changing sample rate well from their optical or coax input, we provide the fixed frame rate option with a good ASRC.

If you're interested in being an early adopter as one of our Beta users, we'd love to have your involvement. Please provide your ticket number, and I will coordinate with our team to authorize a Beta version specifically for your device.

Participating as a Beta user offers you the opportunity to experience improvements firsthand and provide valuable feedback that can shape the final release. If you prefer to wait for the official update, rest assured, we are on track to release this fix in our public firmware by the end of January. Your choice and support in this process are greatly appreciated.

The fixed frame rate option should wake up one of the DACs sleeping in our warehouse again. Thank you.😉

Hi wunderkind, Team

I would like to take part in the testing

#6445​

Hi
I don't see any changes in the settings after the last update, everything is the same as it was in audio setting -> SPDFI output resolution. The popping nois remained the same.

Hi
I don't see any changes in the settings after the last update, everything is the same as it was in audio setting -> SPDFI output resolution. The popping nois remained the same.
Hi Navdak1,

Based on the issue you're experiencing, I recommend checking out the attached screenshot for guidance. Please enable the 'Fixed Resolution' setting in your device's options. This adjustment will ensure audio is output at a consistent resolution, which should greatly assist your downstream device that may struggle with variable-resolution audio. This setting aims to provide a more stable and compatible audio experience.

1706607735961.png

Hi Navdak1,

Based on the issue you're experiencing, I recommend checking out the attached screenshot for guidance. Please enable the 'Fixed Resolution' setting in your device's options. This adjustment will ensure audio is output at a consistent resolution, which should greatly assist your downstream device that may struggle with variable-resolution audio. This setting aims to provide a more stable and compatible audio experience.

Hello. There is no such function yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7046.png
    IMG_7046.png
    741.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi Navdak1,

View attachment 4833
I can’t see that either even though my ipad and Android apps have just updated - do we need a recent firmware update as well?

Back