Popping/clicking when switching tracks

AdieH

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian

I can’t see that either even though my ipad and Android apps have just updated - do we need a recent firmware update as well?
Hi Brantome, Team

The feature you're inquiring about requires the latest firmware update for the WiiM Pro, which is currently being evaluated by Beta users. If you're eager to access this update sooner, please provide us with your device's UUID. We'll gladly add you to our whitelist, giving you early access to the new firmware.

If you prefer to wait, rest assured that we're planning to roll out this firmware update to all users early next week.

Hi Brantome, Team

The feature you're inquiring about requires the latest firmware update for the WiiM Pro, which is currently being evaluated by Beta users. If you're eager to access this update sooner, please provide us with your device's UUID. We'll gladly add you to our whitelist, giving you early access to the new firmware.

If you prefer to wait, rest assured that we're planning to roll out this firmware update to all users early next week.
Thanks, I don’t have a particular need for it, it’s just that the dependency on new firmware isn’t mentioned in the app release as it has been in the past. Cheers

Thanks, I don’t have a particular need for it, it’s just that the dependency on new firmware isn’t mentioned in the app release as it has been in the past. Cheers
Understood, Brantome! Your point is well taken. I'll bring this to the attention of our team to ensure that future release notes clearly outline any dependencies on the firmware. Transparency and clarity are key, and we appreciate your input in helping us improve our communication. Thank you for highlighting this!

Hi Navdak1,

Based on the issue you're experiencing, I recommend checking out the attached screenshot for guidance. Please enable the 'Fixed Resolution' setting in your device's options. This adjustment will ensure audio is output at a consistent resolution, which should greatly assist your downstream device that may struggle with variable-resolution audio. This setting aims to provide a more stable and compatible audio experience.

View attachment 4833
Brantome, this is what I was talking about on iOS app update since my pro and app were updated and did not see this feature.

Hi Navdak1,

Based on the issue you're experiencing, I recommend checking out the attached screenshot for guidance. Please enable the 'Fixed Resolution' setting in your device's options. This adjustment will ensure audio is output at a consistent resolution, which should greatly assist your downstream device that may struggle with variable-resolution audio. This setting aims to provide a more stable and compatible audio experience.

View attachment 4833
If this feature is enable and set on 24/192khz the music you listening on 16/44 will be upsampled?

Really have been looking forward to using this feature. both the fixing at 16/44.1 and upscaling to 24/192. I wonder what the impact will be on multiroom audio.

Really have been looking forward to using this feature. both the fixing at 16/44.1 and upscaling to 24/192. I wonder what the impact will be on multiroom audio.
Guess it depends what you mean - I don’t expect that multiroom audio will start sending a 124/192 stream around your devices. I’d still expect that to be 24/48 max but what the receiving devices then do is up to them I.e. maybe they could then individually upscale if desired.

Guess it depends what you mean - I don’t expect that multiroom audio will start sending a 124/192 stream around your devices. I’d still expect that to be 24/48 max but what the receiving devices then do is up to them I.e. maybe they could then individually upscale if desired.
For multiroom I was wondering if setting it to 16/44.1 would cap the multiroom at that rate as well. Most stuff I listen to casually wandering around the house tends to be CD quality. It would be nice to have it sent along unchanged rather than upscaled to 48khz

For multiroom I was wondering if setting it to 16/44.1 would cap the multiroom at that rate as well. Most stuff I listen to casually wandering around the house tends to be CD quality. It would be nice to have it sent along unchanged rather than upscaled to 48khz
It doesn't upscale it to 16/48, as I said that's the max. If it's a 16/44.1 stream, that's what will be sent to the others in the group

I'm one of the beta users for a fix. So far it appears to be addressing the pops and clicks issue when switching sample rates. Works both for toslink and spdif.
I can't detect any perceptible sound quality difference. I'm glad to just enjoy music once again without the pops/click distractions. :)

It doesn't upscale it to 16/48, as I said that's the max. If it's a 16/44.1 stream, that's what will be sent to the others in the group
Yeah sorry was not clear, whatever you send in to the toslink input is sent around multiroom at 48khz. Agreed, Streaming 44.1khz will be sent around unaltered as you say

I'm one of the beta users for a fix. So far it appears to be addressing the pops and clicks issue when switching sample rates. Works both for toslink and spdif.
I can't detect any perceptible sound quality difference. I'm glad to just enjoy music once again without the pops/click distractions. :)
I got around the sample rate switching issue by choosing the 'normal' Tidal plan. Everything at one sample rate and, similarly, no perceptible sound quality difference. ;)
Sort of related to your 'enjoy music once again' experience, this popped upon my daily discovery yesterday.
Used to have this as a 12" single.
Screenshot_20240201-083538_TIDAL.jpg

I could force Amazon UHD to run 16/44 but since I paid for it dammit I want hi rez! It's all in my head. My ears claim to not tell an iota of difference past that. :ROFLMAO:

I'm back to tapping my feet again which is why I got into all these in the first place.

Recap: Issue "Popping" when changing tracks.

Point: I have a WiiM Pro Plus with Qobuz service . WiiM allows you to select the sample rate. Qobuz "can" deliver up to Up to 24-bit/192khz. With that being stated... It is going to pop when it changes sample rates. Try it on any audio player (while audio is playing) out there. It is more emphasized over SPDIF. Now if you set it to 24/96 on the WiiM the popping stopped for me. If you can (as WiiM suggests) set it to "Fixed Resolution" and use a separate preamp to change the volume for you that will work as well.

Counterpoint: No one needs a WiiM or separate streaming device. Stream to your computer or phone with the streaming services app. You want the WiiM to have options, and the WiiM gives you a several options. Unfortunately the ability to manually change sample rates is not well thought out. It should sense the incoming rate and set output rate to the highest available from what it is sent with No Popping . :)

This is a great product. I have no affiliation with anyone I just wanted to feed my DAC and not have to buy a pre-amp (that I don't need or want) to control the volume. Mission Accomplished..!

1710022783093.png

Did you see the WiiM Pro has a "Lan" ethernet port..? WIFI is great but (if possible) , I don't want any interruptions to my music and if you only have (1) ethernet cable to your location for the WiiM, a Gigabit Ethernet Splitter is only $17.

1710024965945.jpeg

Recap: Issue "Popping" when changing tracks.

Point: I have a WiiM Pro Plus with Qobuz service . WiiM allows you to select the sample rate. Qobuz "can" deliver up to Up to 24-bit/192khz. With that being stated... It is going to pop when it changes sample rates.

Depends entirely on your DAC. Many don’t “pop” when changing sample rate, mine doesn’t.

Try it on any audio player (while audio is playing) out there. It is more emphasized over SPDIF. Now if you set it to 24/96 on the WiiM the popping stopped for me. If you can (as WiiM suggests) set it to "Fixed Resolution" and use a separate preamp to change the volume for you that will work as well.

Counterpoint: No one needs a WiiM or separate streaming device. Stream to your computer or phone with the streaming services app.

Can’t do that for the desktop Amazon Music app, for example. Plus until Qobuz release Qobuz Connect , Qobuz will only support up to 24/96 over ChromeCast casting from any platform.

You want the WiiM to have options, and the WiiM gives you a several options. Unfortunately the ability to manually change sample rates is not well thought out. It should sense the incoming rate and set output rate to the highest available from what it is sent with No Popping . :)

Setting output to fixed resolution is coming to WiiM devices (I guess the screen below is from a restricted beta release) to use with those external DACs that can’t handle sample rate changes without popping. It must be said though that upsampling to a fixed resolution (unless done very well) is not something that many favour.

Back