Popping/clicking when switching tracks

AdieH

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian

i fully agree with your first paragraph. its more than an obvious this approach would alleviate a shed load of issues.

as for the second, i have zero concern with people wanting to configure the conditions under which their dac goes to standby. i'm more than happy to give the low power circuitry to remain high and charged for the duration i'm actively listening to music.

what i cant tolerate is a £2,500 krell amp blasting 100 watts of white noise thru my £1,400 dynaudio speakers every time i change an album or set the volume to zero when i want a small passing conversation with the wife.

its beyond ridiculous.
I have verified the Mini's behavior when volume is being reduced to 0 and the port switches off indeed. It doesn't happen on the Pro so I consider it as a Mini bug.

Hi Team,

The pop noise issue is due to sample rate change between tracks. During the shift, the WiiM device will first turn off the optical signal and then turn it on to adapt to the new sample rate. Some optical receivers have difficulty handling this change and output the pop noise.

In the latest WiiM Home App, you can adjust the interval between the off and on for the optical signal, which helps improve this issue. Please go to your device setting > Audio Output > Sample rate switch latency and give something like 100ms or 200ms to see if it works for your DAC or amplifier. Thank you!

No work for me,i have loud white noise more than a pop sound,also when move search in track i have white noise sometime half a second noise.
Can you adjust this latency to maximum 1s and see if it works? If not, please submit a ticket from the App so we can look at this issue again. Thank you!

Hi Team,

The pop noise issue is due to sample rate change between tracks. During the shift, the WiiM device will first turn off the optical signal and then turn it on to adapt to the new sample rate. Some optical receivers have difficulty handling this change and output the pop noise.

In the latest WiiM Home App, you can adjust the interval between the off and on for the optical signal, which helps improve this issue. Please go to your device setting > Audio Output > Sample rate switch latency and give something like 100ms or 200ms to see if it works for your DAC or amplifier. Thank you!
Is this just an optical issue?
Wondering, as your post specifically says 'optical signal', but the app allows the latency to be set for coax too.
Not that I've experienced this issue on any of my setups so far, no matter how I connect them.

Does not work for me either, see tickets 10493 and 10190. White noise/crackling/static when switching tracks, even if the sampling rate does not change, even when moving within a track.
While a pop might be related to the changing sampling rate, the white noise we and others report seems to be related to the signal loss, reclocking, signal cycles the wiim is causing.

Last edited:
Hi Team,

The problem is that WiiM turns off/on the signal even when sample rate doesn't change.

The problem is that WiiM turns off/on the signal even when sample rate doesn't change.
Does not work for me either, see tickets 10493 and 10190. White noise/crackling/static when switching tracks, even if the sampling rate does not change, even when moving within a track.
While a pop might be related to the changing sampling rate, the white noise we and others report seems to be related to the signal loss, reclocking, signal cycles the wiim is causing.
tried it yesterday and was not convinced it was working. so today i've tried it again.

i've stayed within the wiim app. i've used only one app: bbc radio.

i've started on one station. radio 6. then swapped to radio 4. my dac unlocks, i get white noise then pops. i've set my set to 1000ms. so for me this has not worked. not least i tend to use other dlna apps. also i've noted on rebooted thvwiim mini it resets the delay back to 0. so thats not right.

**until the wiim stops unlocking my dac when the volume goes to zero i'm really struggling to be honest. my wiim mini doesn't even lock my dac after booting up. i fail to see as a minimim that it cant behave like a cd transport and lock my dac even when nothing is playing**

just very odd behaviour.

tried it yesterday and was not convinced it was working. so today i've tried it again.

i've stayed within the wiim app. i've used only one app: bbc radio.

i've started on one station. radio 6. then swapped to radio 4. my dac unlocks, i get white noise then pops. i've set my set to 1000ms. so for me this has not worked. not least i tend to use other dlna apps. also i've noted on rebooted thvwiim mini it resets the delay back to 0. so thats not right.

**until the wiim stops unlocking my dac when the volume goes to zero i'm really struggling to be honest. my wiim mini doesn't even lock my dac after booting up. i fail to see as a minimim that it cant behave like a cd transport and lock my dac even when nothing is playing**

just very odd behaviour.
Can you try with slightly lower value? I was struggling with 1000 ms.
BTW I'm not sure if Mini is supported yet, only Pro's FW had it mentioned.

Can you try with slightly lower value? I was struggling with 1000 ms.
BTW I'm not sure if Mini is supported yet, only Pro's FW had it mentioned.
i'll give it a go.

if i close my app and re open, it remembers my last setting 1000ms. if i then reboot the mini. it goes back to 0. so something is very wrong.

i'll give it a go.

if i close my app and re open, it remembers my last setting 1000ms. if i then reboot the mini. it goes back to 0. so something is very wrong.
no good. tried different flavours 300,500 and 1000 all the same results.

also switched between bbc radio and amazon all appear to be hosted (unlike spotify) inside the app.

horrific. swapping between tracks on amazon drops the dac for 5secs. at least bbc was about a sec.

untill wiim can default to a stable lock on switching between sources, this is never going to fly for many of its users.

no good. tried different flavours 300,500 and 1000 all the same results.

also switched between bbc radio and amazon all appear to be hosted (unlike spotify) inside the app.

horrific. swapping between tracks on amazon drops the dac for 5secs. at least bbc was about a sec.

untill wiim can default to a stable lock on switching between sources, this is never going to fly for many of its users.
Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian
disheartingly this user 👆 has had this issue from back in september last year and at somepoint raised it before december also last year.

so now 6 months in and no fix. its quite obvious there is little honesty moving inbetween the manufactures and its customers here, and even less actual testing.

poor show.

The delay seems to be applied to both Pro and Mini, but the setting cannot survive a reboot indeed as already reported.
i'd say at this point its rather academic as it doesn't work , but probably goes to support my lack of manufacture testing theory.

if it worked i'd cope with the reboot. however, it probably points to much wider issues. ie;

do the wiim guys accept there are series of problems that drive this.

do the wiim guys understand each problem

can the wiim guys replicate.

do the wiim guys have a robust plan to address the issues they can solve, and when.

will the wiim guy. be honest enough to confirm those issues they can't and won't fix.

Back