Some NAS Questions

Tommyrandom

I have a small selection of CDs that would easily fit on a 1T drive. I am seeking an NAS solution that would enable me to play them by connecting to the WiiM Pro. Ideally, I would be able to use 3rd party software to create playlists or collections which I could shuffle. The solution I seek would be adequate enough to deliver signal without degraded performance. Nothing other than music would go on to the NAS. I do not want to build it myself.
1. Would an entry level Synology NAS (or something similar) do the job?
2. Could this be connected directly to the WiiM Pro ethernet port or would it need to be connected to the router?
Thank you.

I have a small selection of CDs that would easily fit on a 1T drive. I am seeking an NAS solution that would enable me to play them by connecting to the WiiM Pro. Ideally, I would be able to use 3rd party software to create playlists or collections which I could shuffle. The solution I seek would be adequate enough to deliver signal without degraded performance. Nothing other than music would go on to the NAS. I do not want to build it myself.
1. Would an entry level Synology NAS (or something similar) do the job?
2. Could this be connected directly to the WiiM Pro ethernet port or would it need to be connected to the router?
Thank you.
An entry level Synology or Qnap nas running something like minimserver and using an app like bubbleupnp on your phone/tablet ought to suffice.
Well, it does for me anyway... ;)
tbh, I've not really played with the playlist options within bubble, but I'm pretty sure you can create multiple in it.
I sometimes use the '20 random albums' or '100 random tracks' options rather than playlists.
Bubble is free to try, android only. Licence would be required for playlists though.
There's a free version of minimserver too. Satisfies all my needs.
Hifi cast and mconnect apps get mentioned here quite a bit too.
The nas would need to be on your network, connected to the router, not connected to the wiim directly.

Waiting for someone to suggest installing LMS (Logitech Media Server) on the nas and using that too / instead ;)
Also free.

Last edited:
I would hold out on buying a NAS unless you actually need one, and it sounds like you don't! I was in a similar position. I have two ancient D-Link NAS boxes which are well past their sell by date. Between them they have 6 TB of storage & I was quite horrified by the cost of a half decent replacement, particularly as my desktop PC already has 3 TB of storage.

I took a different approach. I bought a surplus/refurbished thin client PC which cost £37 with Windows 11. I installed LMS (Logitech Media Server) and a few other goodies & it works great! Single box & no DIY. Admittedly it doesn't have much disk space (128GB) but a USB memory stick is used for storing my music. No problems there.

This works great for me. My speakers are either side of my TV & the PC is there too. It's on my network via Wifi as I don't have a convenient ethernet point nearby. I have a HDMI connection to the TV (so it actually works as a REAL PC if I need it) & I also use USB audio out, directly into my Cambridge Audio amp which has it's own DAC - no WiiM necessary :unsure: oops! 😂

So my total outlay was £37 for the PC & £7 for a WiFi/bluetooth USB adapter. I already had a big memory stick. Buy one that fits.

Hope this helps

Ian

I would hold out on buying a NAS unless you actually need one, and it sounds like you don't! I was in a similar position. I have two ancient D-Link NAS boxes which are well past their sell by date. Between them they have 6 TB of storage & I was quite horrified by the cost of a half decent replacement, particularly as my desktop PC already has 3 TB of storage.

I took a different approach. I bought a surplus/refurbished thin client PC which cost £37 with Windows 11. I installed LMS (Logitech Media Server) and a few other goodies & it works great! Single box & no DIY. Admittedly it doesn't have much disk space (128GB) but a USB memory stick is used for storing my music. No problems there.

This works great for me. My speakers are either side of my TV & the PC is there too. It's on my network via Wifi as I don't have a convenient ethernet point nearby. I have a HDMI connection to the TV (so it actually works as a REAL PC if I need it) & I also use USB audio out, directly into my Cambridge Audio amp which has it's own DAC - no WiiM necessary :unsure: oops! 😂

So my total outlay was £37 for the PC & £7 for a WiFi/bluetooth USB adapter. I already had a big memory stick. Buy one that fits.

Hope this helps

Ian
You can have far better sound not relying on a crappy Windows computer as a digital bridge. WiiM pro connected to a good dac is much better sounding than your computer If using TIDAL connect having the microsoft toy turned off.

Hope this helps

Ian
I wouldn't use a USB stick for long term storage. I have a SSD drive plugged to a USB port of a router running DLNA server and the WiiM use this without problem.

By the way, you can't plug a NAS directly to the ethernet port of the WiiM: you'll need a switch in between if you want to use ethernet.

You can have far better sound not relying on a crappy Windows computer as a digital bridge. WiiM pro connected to a good dac is much better sounding than your computer If using TIDAL connect having the microsoft toy turned off.
I don't rely on my crappy Windoze pc for anything other than hosting LMS. The fact that it has a direct USB audio connection to my amp is just an added bonus.
I'm not quite sure what your point is?

I wouldn't use a USB stick for long term storage. I have a SSD drive plugged to a USB port of a router running DLNA server and the WiiM use this without problem.

By the way, you can't plug a NAS directly to the ethernet port of the WiiM: you'll need a switch in between if you want to use ethernet.
Please explain your reservation regarding USB memory sticks. I'm not at all sure why a SSD over USB would be better?

Please explain your reservation regarding USB memory sticks. I'm not at all sure why a SSD over USB would be better?
For LMS particularly a small SSD to house the OS and database will pay dividends due to its speed but absolutely nothing wrong with USB stick for storing music files as long as you keep backups (plural).

Entry level Synology over QNAP/Windows any day of the week.
An entry level Synology box comes in at £100 in the UK. That's without a drive. Please explain how it might be better than my £37 thin client PC. Particularly as my PC has HDMI out, USB audio etc etc.
You can do this on a Synolgy box?

An entry level Synology box comes in at £100 in the UK. That's without a drive. Please explain how it might be better than my £37 thin client PC. Particularly as my PC has HDMI out, USB audio etc etc.
Actually you probably can but I don't know what @simbun thinks is wrong with Qnap and as your Windows PC is solely for LMS there is nothing wrong with that either

For LMS particularly a small SSD to house the OS and database will pay dividends due to its speed but absolutely nothing wrong with USB stick for storing music files as long as you keep backups (plural).
Serving audio is no challenge for a USB stick? House the OS? My thin client PC houses Windoze11 from it's internal SSD. Where is the problem?

Serving audio is no challenge for a USB stick? House the OS? My thin client PC houses Windoze11 from it's internal SSD. Where is the problem?
Yes. That is exactly what I said.

The OP didn't ask for the cheapest solution that has HDMI out, USB audio etc etc, they asked for a NAS based solution.
If they were prepared to spend some time building one then yes, a PC with something like XigmaNAS would be an option, but I'm not a fan of Windows for a server OS. QNAP has a poor security track record so Synology is a much better option.

Last edited:
QNAP has a poor security track record so Synology is a much better option.
I have never seen any serious issue witha QNAP if you run it correctly. I'd say Synology and QNAP are interchangeable quality wise.

I have never seen any serious issue witha QNAP if you run it correctly. I'd say Synology and QNAP are interchangeable quality wise.
I don't have any personal experience of either, but I hear about QNAP a lot more than I do Synology in the security press.
I don't pay attention to the type of vulnerabilities but they'll be detailed on the cve database.
If I had one I certainly wouldn't have it internet facing (i wouldn't have anything internet facing), so if it's going to be used in that context then it doesn't really matter.

QNAP have a much wider business product range whereas Synology concentrate on the SOHO market which may explain what you say about the security profile. At the bottom end of the ranges they are interchangeable. Both are far better than say Buffalo or similar.
If anyone is looking for a NAS I would say either but ensure it has an Intel processor so that it can run docker etc

The OP didn't ask for the cheapest solution that has HDMI out, USB audio etc etc, they asked for a NAS based solution.
If they were prepared to spend some time building one then yes, a PC with something like XigmaNAS would be an option, but I'm not a fan of Windows for a server OS. QNAP has a poor security track record so Synology is a much better option.
But the OP DID explain that the NAS would be dedicated to serving his media?
Buying a NAS to achieve this is ridiculous?
You would seriously recommend a NAS costing hundreds against a thin client costing pennies?

But the OP DID explain that the NAS would be dedicated to serving his media?
That's right.

Buying a NAS to achieve this is ridiculous?
If someone asks for a NAS it's most likely because they're looking for an appliance that needs little maintenance, the opposite of a Windows desktop.

You would seriously recommend a NAS costing hundreds against a thin client costing pennies?
It was £100 vs £37 earlier in the thread! Would I pay an extra £63 for the right tool for the job, absolutely.

If requirements evolve then the recommendations likely would too.

Back