Some NAS Questions

Hello all.
I am grateful to all of you who took the time to reply. Your replies have been most informative.
I now feel confident that I will end up with a satisfactory solution.
I hope this discussion will also be in aid others with similar questions.

That's right.

If someone asks for a NAS it's most likely because they're looking for an appliance that needs little maintenance, the opposite of a Windows desktop.

It was £100 vs £37 earlier in the thread! Would I pay an extra £63 for the right tool for the job, absolutely.

If requirements evolve then the recommendations likely would too.
£100 for a NAS? Where? Are you saying that a W11 PC can't host LMS? Or is a NAS somehow better?

£100 for a NAS? Where? Are you saying that a W11 PC can't host LMS? Or is a NAS somehow better?
Unless you have other specific uses for a NAS, then I think it's an expensive and overcomplicated way to store music files. Modern SD cards are cheaper and an easier way to store music files.

• Love
Reactions: Ian
Out of preference I would not host LMS or any server software on any Windows PC. Why? Because no matter what you do Windows has a habit of updating itself at the most inconvenient time with often unwanted results. As an example I have seen network adapters moved from private to public by a Windows update for no apparent reason - plays havoc with any firewall settings and not obvious to see it has been done.

I use a NAS (actually lots of NAS's) for their original intended purpose - file storage - and have a couple of LMS servers - a Pi and a Linux PC both using the same NAS as their file storage. A NAS is better for file storage for a couple of reasons 1) a 2 disk NAS with RAID1 gives you some redundancy from disk failure and 2) modern NAS devices have a multitude of backup options built in. In my case I sync my main NAS to another one at a remote location via VPN.

EDIT
File storage is perfectly OK on moving HDs as the serving of them is not speed critical. SSD for OS and any Server software/database yes but no need for files.

Out of preference I would not host LMS or any server software on any Windows PC. Why? Because no matter what you do Windows has a habit of updating itself at the most inconvenient time with often unwanted results. As an example I have seen network adapters moved from private to public by a Windows update for no apparent reason - plays havoc with any firewall settings and not obvious to see it has been done.

I use a NAS (actually lots of NAS's) for their original intended purpose - file storage - and have a couple of LMS servers - a Pi and a Linux PC both using the same NAS as their file storage. A NAS is better for file storage for a couple of reasons 1) a 2 disk NAS with RAID1 gives you some redundancy from disk failure and 2) modern NAS devices have a multitude of backup options built in. In my case I sync my main NAS to another one at a remote location via VPN.

EDIT
File storage is perfectly OK on moving HDs as the serving of them is not speed critical. SSD for OS and any Server software/database yes but no need for files.
Sure. I have two NAS boxes. One RAID1 another RAID0. 6TB in total.
Getting REALLY off topic now!
I'm no MS fanboy! Buy a thin client & install your preferred OS?
Much cheaper than a rPi tangle?
Ix

I still think, unless you have 1000s of tracks (and the time you'd spend actually trying to listen to 20 days listening time!), then a NAS for track storage is overkill for most users. I suppose an SD card just won't have the technolooks and doesn't offer the opportunity to spend time and effort in 'management' activities.

@Ian
You're getting blinded by LMS (it's a common problem on this forum).

The OP can get all the benefits of a NAS and have their media served without any compromise.
Obviously you can get cheaper, but at what effort to implement all the basics of a NAS.

@simbun You're getting blinded by LMS (it's a common problem on this forum)

Can you explain what you mean?
No matter what the question is, the answer proposed is always to install LMS.

I find it quite rude to disregard a users requirements.

@Ian
You're getting blinded by LMS (it's a common problem on this forum).

The OP can get all the benefits of a NAS and have their media served without any compromise.
Obviously you can get cheaper, but at what effort to implement all the basics of a NAS.
LMS isn’t THE answer but it is usually an alternative answer. I’m not clear what your gripe is with it.
You recommend Minimserver and I recommend LMS. I’m never going to invest loads of time into Minimserver because LMS does exactly what I want but I am aware that Minimserver is probably one of the two leading UPnP servers. They are alternative approaches.

LMS isn’t THE answer but it is usually an alternative answer. I’m not clear what your gripe is with it.
You recommend Minimserver and I recommend LMS. I’m never going to invest loads of time into Minimserver because LMS does exactly what I want but I am aware that Minimserver is probably one of the two leading UPnP servers. They are alternative approaches.
I don't know if you've read the thread, but I haven't said a bad word about LMS.

My issue - which I've stated a number of times on this thread - is about ignoring a users requests/requirements in order to advance your own agenda, which in this case appears to be to install LMS on the hardware.
Are you saying that a W11 PC can't host LMS? Or is a NAS somehow better?
There was no mention of LMS (other than from LMSers) so how did that become part of the debate?

I have absolutely no problem with anyone recommending anything, what I do have a problem with is @Ian bleating on stating that the right solution for the OP is a Windows desktop when the OP specifically stated:
I have a small selection of CDs that would easily fit on a 1T drive. I am seeking an NAS solution that would enable me to play them by connecting to the WiiM Pro.

Or Minimserver ;)
That's a great example of a free server that can be managed by anyone (from a technical perspective), is robust and can be installed on pretty much any hardware (as long as Java can be installed) so is an appropriate solution for ANY scenario ;)

I used to suggest multiple options, but very few people seem to need the flexibility of the paid solutions so unless someone has a specific requirement (Artist bios/images, streaming integration e.t.c.) the free version of MinimServer is probably the best option out there.

Again, context is my point here.

I don't know if you've read the thread, but I haven't said a bad word about LMS.

My issue - which I've stated a number of times on this thread - is about ignoring a users requests/requirements in order to advance your own agenda, which in this case appears to be to install LMS on the hardware.

There was no mention of LMS (other than from LMSers) so how did that become part of the debate?

I have absolutely no problem with anyone recommending anything, what I do have a problem with is @Ian bleating on stating that the right solution for the OP is a Windows desktop when the OP specifically stated:
Ok I see your point.
The answer to the specific question must then be Synology or Qnap NAS with some media server or other. Both have basic ones as part of the firmware.

Back