SPDIF passthrough pausing randomly

mjgoins

(sorry, meant to post this in support forum)

I think this issue has only been happening for a few days, so it's possibly firmware update related, but my setup is:
Computer --(toslink)--> Wiim Pro --(toslink)--> external DAC

And I've noticed lately that audio will pause randomly for maybe 300ms at a time, usually once every 5 to 10 minutes.

Right now I've switched to Computer toslink straight into the DAC to test, and so far I've had no pauses.

I also tested straight from Wiim Pro to DAC, listening via wifi, and again no pauses. So this seems to only happen when passing spdif through the Wiim Pro.

The problem eventually came back after reseating my optical cables so I switched out the cable, but to no avail. Took the Wiim out of the signal path and the issue totally went away. I opened a ticket.

Apparenently this is still an issue:
I also opened a ticket.
I guess the last post here
was yours, so you follow the discussion there.
Explanation for those who didn't read ASR thread - Pro probably uses its own internal clock on spdif out and does not resample the content taken from spdif in. Data is buffered instead to maintain the audio integrity but buffer underrun / overrun must happen eventually resulting in a behavior similar to the one on the movie. Frequency depends on the clocks deviation as buffer cannot be too big because its size introduces also latency to the audio path.

@WiiM Team @WiiM Support
Could you please comment the above?

Last edited:
I guess the last post here
was yours, so you follow the discussion there.
Explanation for those who didn't read ASR thread ...
Thanks. :)

You may have to forget this entry except for very occasional use.
No idea what you want to tell me? Accept the issue because the device works most of the time?

if some design efforts have not been made ... a firmware will not do everything ...
we'll see.. hope that wiim finds the solution if there is one...
but hey remains a secondary function, which wiim may have had to avoid because it is not so easy to integrate seriously...
;-)

The problem eventually came back after reseating my optical cables so I switched out the cable, but to no avail. Took the Wiim out of the signal path and the issue totally went away. I opened a ticket.
Okay… fingers crossed 🤞I think I fixed my audio issue. I replaced EVERY cable to no avail. I changed EVERY setting to no avail. But when I lowered the line level output (which I don’t use, so I never thought it could be the issue) from 2vrms to 500mvrms in the Wiim settings… my issue vanished! Perhaps there’s an internal electrical issue or maybe the stock USB power supply is bad. In any event, that change seems to have resolved the occasional pauses in audio from my Wiim Pro. Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone else!

Good to know setting the Vrms to 500 can help. Good practice if you don't use the rca's. I use a chromecast to hdmi audiosplitter to toslink WIIM pro. No dropouts so far. Maybe it only happens at high bitrates? Sound from streaming video usually is very low bitrate.

The 500mvrms setting didn’t help the audio drop outs I’m experiencing on TV -> toslink -> Wiim Pro -> toslink -> Powered speaker.

Back