Subwoofer choice item

JBRAN

Just received my Wiim amp and satisfied with it so far. A few glitches in software but probably hammared out in due time. However a wish for the subwoofer setup - as for now it limit what is sent to main speakers, like, if you set crossover to 60Hz it will not send signals under that to main speakers. It would be great to have the opportunity be able to set it w/o any limitations to main sp. but have that sorted out by the subwoofer and get full signal to speakers. In other words another toggle with or without crossover egen enabling sub.

Considering that the WiiM sub-out is mono, the result is probably the same either way. Please check it with your ears. πŸ˜‰
Yes i will. Thanks for all your help.
Now its practicing for setting it up. Will set the volume on full..then the relationship with the neighbours will be to Sub Zero πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ it all ends with a bang then πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

Allow me another question..
In wondering if you did set up the sub in a way it combines perfectly with the music and you want to watch for instance Netflix now..
Does one have to set it up again for watching movies?
I ask myself does WIIM allow to set up presets in the sub section?

I mean if you have to change the settings everytime ( movies,music) it would be great if you can choose a preset..one for music the other for movies and so on.
One could even have a preset for certain types of music i think...

Allow me another question..
In wondering if you did set up the sub in a way it combines perfectly with the music and you want to watch for instance Netflix now..
Does one have to set it up again for watching movies?
I ask myself does WIIM allow to set up presets in the sub section?

I mean if you have to change the settings everytime ( movies,music) it would be great if you can choose a preset..one for music the other for movies and so on.
One could even have a preset for certain types of music i think...
This is also my personal opinion, but you don't need to change the settings in music and movies. If you want to add more bass when watching a movie, you can also use the WiiM's EQ.
In that case, I think it's a good idea to create two custom EQs, "Movie" and "Music" and switch between them.

This is also my personal opinion, but you don't need to change the settings in music and movies. If you want to add more bass when watching a movie, you can also use the WiiM's EQ.
In that case, I think it's a good idea to create two custom EQs, "Movie" and "Music" and switch between them.
Ahh..thank you i haven't thought of that.. great idea. πŸ˜€πŸ‘
Maybe in the future we will have presets in the sub section too. I Heard a sub manufacturer brand like SVS has this in their app.
But using the EQ is a great idea.. thanks again πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

If the sub has on het low pass filter knobs 80 Hz to 160 Hz.
As pointed out before, set the sub to 160 Hz and you're done.

You don't want the sub to apply its own low pass filtering, because the WiiM Amp will do that already. Ideally, the sub had an LFE input, thus not applying a low pass filter at all. Since your sub doesn't have an LFE input, dial the knob fully clockwise, so the unavoidable low pass filter is as far away as possible from the real crossover frequency, defined by your WiiM Amp.

The knob on your sub does not define how low it can go. It's the opposite. It limits how high it will play and you don't want the sub to interfere, because the amp is already taking care of that. :)

I've been waiting for my split cable.( Y RCA connector)
On the sub there are 2 RCA line in connectors. Now I ordered a splitter so I can connect it to both the white and red connector.
As pointed bout before (and confirmed by @Wiimer), no need for a Y splitter.

One subwoofer is mono. The WiiM Amp's sub out is mono. The only reason for subwoofers featuring L and R inputs is to provide compatibility with devices that don't have a dedicated sub out, but just (L+R) stereo pre outputs. The splitter cable won't hurt, but it won't do any good, either. It's simply a waste of money. :p

Maybe in the future we will have presets in the sub section too. I Heard a sub manufacturer brand like SVS has this in their app.
It's actually much more useful to not have that in the subwoofer's app, but exactly where you have it now: Right in your WiiM Home App.

Think about it: You don't really want the subwoofer to sound differently with movies. You want the overall sound to be different. You should not care at all if that extra oomph you might be after comes from your sub, your main speakers or both (which will depend heavily on the chosen crossover frequency). Simply integrate sub and main speakers as good and as neutral as possible. Then chose the right EQ setting simply depending on your taste, mood or the type of material played. Heck, WiiM did even provide you with a predefined EQ setting called "Movie" ...

IMG_20240209_175345.jpg

... a if they knew your wishes. ;)

And please, listen to @alpha_zulu and @harkpabst and do not try to align the sub to your speakers' "lower frequency limit" of 60 Hz. This is wrong on so many levels, I can't even describe in one humble posting. Yes, people did use that approach to some (limited) success when they did not have proper high pass filtering for the main speakers. This is all different with modern devices like the WiiM Amp.

Just try to set the crossover frequency reasonably higher than your speakers' lower limit (which is given for free field response and doesn't apply to in-room placement, anyway) and also reasonably lower than the highest low pass filter setting on you sub. Something between 80 Hz and 100 Hz will most likely turn out to be ideal.

Last edited:
@harkpabst .

I am very grateful for this information.. thank you very much πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.
I will do it as you advised. Great to have such help from people who have knowledge about this.

Yes I a have spend money for nothing with the Y cable πŸ˜€ ..beginner mistakes πŸ˜€πŸ‘

I will set up the EQ and use it when watching movies.

Again very thankful for all the great helpπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Not too much money that got wasted. ;) Always better to have too many different cables in your drawer than too few.

I also sent this question in-app

Reason to send bass to speakers AND sub is I have very nice
full range speakers. I wish to *enhance* the bass with a sub
so I can get more boom at very low volume, like the loudness
setting that seems to hardly work.

My current solution is to use a Wiim pro as an external DAC
for multiple Wiim amps, one of which has the sub switch
turned on. That amp has no speakers attached of course.

What a waste: add a Wiim pro and another amp for
no good reason when this could be solved in software.

Still cheaper than Sonos!

What i can say ..
Added a sub to the system.
Could set it up very good with the Wiimamp/app

Sound improved a lot..
Not that it wasn't very good with the 2 bookshelf speakers but it gave the overall sound more depth. If I may say it in a simple way..
I never could do without a sub anymore.
And without the Wiimamp ofcourse..πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

What a waste: add a Wiim pro and another amp for
no good reason when this could be solved in software.
From my point of view the real waste is abusing a subwoofer for what EQ can do. πŸ˜…

What is your reason to not use EQ? You have a choice of graphic EQ or PEQ, predefined settings or settings you define as you like it ...

Back