WiiM Pro is now Roon Ready

Fishing, or serious...?

I thought a while wether to write this or not, because I am aware there are other legitime meanings. Most of the contras are about pricing. But, welcome in real life, there are more and more people who will and can afford. Only a few ideas, quite sure I can find even more.

Maybe it reads like pure advertising, but I am absolutely convinced with the product and was with it from the very first moment. And nearly 100% of the contras come from people who never tried.

So, for me
  • Roon is the best software. One player only for all the stuff. The company concentrate only on this. But this they do near to perfect.
  • Before Roon every streaming item has to have a dedicated developed or shared software. Like HEOS or Bluesound. With Roon that changed. RR devices can change and the software remains. More and more manufactures faced that. It would be more and more difficult to advertise a hardware not RR. WiiM is an example.
  • Settings with all your connected gear can be made by Roon or by you. Mostly Roon will do better. If there exists a really "audiophile" software, Roon is. So many switches to switch and so many boxes to tick.
  • The multiroom integration is perfect.
  • Roon makes the administration of your music as easy as possible. Ripping f.e. is easy with other software too. But no tagging by hand with all the related pain in the a.. Tell the software where to archive your music and leave the remaining work with it.
  • Roon "knows" more about music than other algorithms. And quite sure the most of us. No need to grab information. The recommendations for new listening experience are outstanding. If I get recommendations from the streaming services after listening to Mozart 40 they recommend Mozart 39. Not very sophisticated.
  • Roon is stable and reliant. No more "no device found".
  • Room cares and helps with room acoustics. DSP, if wanted, made easy. Roon knows the most speakers and headphones and is able to find decent settings.
  • Roon integrates Qobuz and Tidal. AFAIK Amazon not yet.
  • If you want DSD, Roon can handle.

So, crucify me. But I will stay a diehard supporter. The Nucleus was my best purchase a few years ago.

Roon integrates Qobuz and Tidal. AFAIK Amazon not yet.

It’s unlikely to support Amazon Music or for that matter Apple Music as, from my take on it, they require daily catalogue updates from the music service and seem to put the onus (from what I’ve read in their forums) on those services to provide those, and for the Roon user base to push Amazon/Apple to accommodate Roon. Amazon and Apple are likely asking themselves who “this little upstart Roon“ is and what’s in it for them (Amazon/Apple I mean).

Tidal and Qobuz on the other hand likely wanted and needed the “audiophile” market so were happy to play along.

I thought a while wether to write this or not, because I am aware there are other legitime meanings. Most of the contras are about pricing. But, welcome in real life, there are more and more people who will and can afford. Only a few ideas, quite sure I can find even more.

Maybe it reads like pure advertising, but I am absolutely convinced with the product and was with it from the very first moment. And nearly 100% of the contras come from people who never tried.

So, for me
  • Roon is the best software. One player only for all the stuff. The company concentrate only on this. But this they do near to perfect.
  • Before Roon every streaming item has to have a dedicated developed or shared software. Like HEOS or Bluesound. With Roon that changed. RR devices can change and the software remains. More and more manufactures faced that. It would be more and more difficult to advertise a hardware not RR. WiiM is an example.
  • Settings with all your connected gear can be made by Roon or by you. Mostly Roon will do better. If there exists a really "audiophile" software, Roon is. So many switches to switch and so many boxes to tick.
  • Roon makes the administration of your music as easy as possible. Ripping f.e. is easy with other software too. But no tagging by hand with all the related pain in the a.. Tell the software where to archive your music and leave the remaining work with it.
  • Roon "knows" more about music than other algorithms. And quite sure the most of us. No need to grab information. The recommendations for new listening experience are outstanding. If I get recommendations from the streaming services after listening to Mozart 40 they recommend Mozart 39. Not very sophisticated.
  • Room cares and helps with room acoustics. DSP, if wanted, made easy. Roon knows the most speakers and headphones and is able to find decent settings.

So, crucify me. But I will stay a diehard supporter. The Nucleus was my best purchase a few years ago.
All of this is true but the same can almost be said for LMS which costs absolutely nothing.
In reality these days there isn't very much that Roon does that LMS doesn't. Yes its more difficult to set up but you can't ever get left with a broken Nucleus device that cost silly money to buy in the first place.

@d6jg
We had that already. For me all this is worth the money. And the only part of a Nucleus I can imagine to break is the harddisc, what means a few Euro.

@d6jg
To bring this to a hopefully peaceful end. For me this "almost", "nearly" and "more difficult" makes the difference I am willing to pay for. No need for applause, my point of view only.

@d6jg
We had that already. For me all this is worth the money. And the only part of a Nucleus I can imagine to break is the harddisc, what means a few Euro.
Agreed.
I'm simply giving notice that there is an alternative (cheaper) option that does much the same if people are interested AND have the time inclination and skills to do it.

So, for me

I’ve only just started using Roon and love it. In onl a couple of weeks I have discovered a lot of new music because of the easy interface. I also love how it interfaces with my second system Roon ready Devialet speaker. Can’t wait to use it with Wiim on main system.
Best wishes.

All of this is true but the same can almost be said for LMS which costs absolutely nothing.
In reality these days there isn't very much that Roon does that LMS doesn't. Yes its more difficult to set up but you can't ever get left with a broken Nucleus device that cost silly money to buy in the first place.
You just need a reasonable computer to run Roon. You do not need a Nucleus. I use a desktop.

You just need a reasonable computer to run Roon. You do not need a Nucleus. I use a desktop.
I think that’s a significant barrier to running Roon - I don’t want to have to have a PC or NUC running just because I want to listen to some music. I do have LMS on a Raspberry Pi, but that’s a low cost, low power device, almost like a small appliance.

It was my reason to buy a Nucleus. It is also only a computer, but build for one purpose only, I can hide it and the maintenance is done remotely. No need to check for updates. And I do everything I want via the app. First I was using it with a laptop. That was already fine, but much more inconvenient and the WAF was around zero. But of course I have to mention that the purchase was pure luxury and the last step. All the other stuff was done before. It is a nice to have, not more. But this can be said for so many other things. And again: I love it 😉

Signed up for the whitelist for early access to firmware with Roon enabled. Now just waiting for the firmware to get pushed to my device. Is there a client (Iphone app) update that will be required, or is that functionality already in the App (ie options for Roon, ie what the Wiim is identified as etc).

Signed up for the whitelist for early access to firmware with Roon enabled. Now just waiting for the firmware to get pushed to my device. Is there a client (Iphone app) update that will be required, or is that functionality already in the App (ie options for Roon, ie what the Wiim is identified as etc).
It might already be in the app as some briefly noticed a Roon entry under music services a few weeks back - that might reappear when it detects Roon readiness in the firmware

It was my reason to buy a Nucleus. It is also only a computer, but build for one purpose only, I can hide it and the maintenance is done remotely. No need to check for updates. And I do everything I want via the app. First I was using it with a laptop. That was already fine, but much more inconvenient and the WAF was around zero. But of course I have to mention that the purchase was pure luxury and the last step. All the other stuff was done before. It is a nice to have, not more. But this can be said for so many other things. And again: I love it 😉
Roon user for several years. Arc is a major upgrade and really adds value. I am upgrading it but my Roon server is currently on a BeeLink mini with an N95 Celeron, 8Gb Ram Win 11 pro. It cost me $135.00 on Amazon. It runs Roon okay, several endpoints simultaneously. It does strain to do so but my point is you can set up a Roon server fairly inexpensively.
Just wanted to add that. I also use RPis for end points, that is until I discovered this device.

@Billyk
Agreed nearly every word. But I am a reckless ready-to-use customer with a lack of knowledge in this part of audio. I do not even know what f.e. a BeeLink mini is and tbh I am not interested in getting this knowledge. Blame me for that. I also declare my remaining life time as to valuable to get such knowledge. I accept paying for things I can not do myself. Nevertheless people who can have my full respect.

@Billyk
Agreed nearly every word. But I am a reckless ready-to-use customer with a lack of knowledge in this part of audio. I do not even know what f.e. a BeeLink mini is and tbh I am not interested in getting this knowledge. Blame me for that. I also declare my remaining life time as to valuable to get such knowledge. I accept paying for things I can not do myself. Nevertheless people who can have my full respect.
I hear that. I’m in IT so think nothing of it!
Here is what I was talking about. I got it on sale but still it’s under $150.00.

Download Roon, associate with your account, tell it where you store your tunes and login to your services, Bingo!

Back