WiiM Pro Plus

Yes! Several advanced DACs have conditioned USB input ports, offering higher performance.
Thanks for the clarification. Then my question is, the AKM 4493SEQ DAC Velvet Sound Technology seems to be amazing as it is, why would anyone want to spend more money buying the Plus with a good built-in DAC already but still want to connect to an external DAC?

Thanks for the clarification. Then my question is, the AKM 4493SEQ DAC Velvet Sound Technology seems to be amazing as it is, why would anyone want to spend more money buying the Plus with a good built-in DAC already but still want to connect to an external DAC?

Because there's more to the DAC than its processor chip. And in that case skip the Plus.

Last edited:
The ideal is different option for different systems. I‘m using a Ares 2 dac and will pass on the wiim pro+ when the usb output model is released then will considering upgrade.

I‘m currently using the wiim pro for headphone system but if I decided later on buying a streamer for main home speaker system the wiim pro+ would might be a better option.

I will upgrade on the next product after pro+ since usb is my preferred connection as modern dac has usb. That will be long way to go for all of us wanting usb.

I think i will pass waiting for the next one. Or ..may be as @Achim1811 says "and may be the new item performs so sensational good that I wanna have it anyway. 😇" that i will do the same.
There might be another reason I might buy the Wiim+. I've never had a DAC with AKM components, due to the fire that caused them quite a lot of problems. Always ESS components.
It might be an opportunity to try the famous Velvet Sound of AKM and see the difference with the ESS sound. ;)
Did a mistake and i corrected it ESS not ESB. Sorry

Last edited:
Think I’m ok in posting this given WiiM said I could reveal some of the info I’ve previously been given in private DMs:

The value proposition of WiiM Pro+ is -

WiiM Pro+ = WiiM Pro + Better ADC + Better DAC + OPAMP
  • Simple system – direct to your AMP or powered speaker without external DAC
  • Upgraded DAC with OP AMP, redesigned power circuits and upgraded ADC that can do up to 24-bit/192 kHz.
  • Audio quality comparable with WiiM Pro connected to the external DAC (up to $500 price?)
  • Save the external DAC and cable cost
  • Some low-end DACs don’t handle the clock, variable sample rate/bit depth properly, or don’t support up to 24-bit/192kHz digital input
  • SNR: 120 dB (A-wt)
  • THD+N (1 kHz): 0.0004% (-108 dB) for 44.1k to 192k
  • FR curve: +/- 0.1 dB
It features a new generation AKM 4493SEQ premium DAC that is able to achieve a leading level of low distortion and wide dynamic range thanks to AKM’s Velvet Sound Technology.

Retail price around €220 including the remote. Release date around Aug 5th on Amazon US, UK, DE, and CA.

Edit: this of course is subject to verification/ change by WiiM but has been collated from a few DMs I’ve had from them in recent weeks.
Hi @Brantome
A very short ask. Dimensions/Shape? Are the same of the Pro? 😊

It might be an opportunity to try the famous Velvet Sound of AKM and see the difference with the ESB sound. ;)
Me too, curious about AKM but don't want to spend US$1500 to get the Gustard A26, so Pro+ is the right price point!

Because there's more to the DAC than its processor chip. And in that case skip the Plus.
@Brantome reports there is new opamp and redesigned power circuits, plus an internal clock in the pro+ so it seems like these are better components already. What's a component that you think is lacking in the pro+?

And then I am also confused by users on AudioSciencReview.com forum saying that there is no sound difference between the Wiim devices and DACs costing thousands.

Who are actually right?

And then I am also confused by users on AudioSciencReview.com forum saying that there is no sound difference between the Wiim devices and DACs costing thousands.

Who are actually right?
I don’t think I’ve read statements like that on ASR, the closest would be that the WiiMs deliver bit perfect output so as streamers are similar to other streamers (although some would argue that too), but when it comes to DAC performance and sound, why would WiiM improve the DAC in the Pro Plus if it wasn’t to improve its sound, ergo there must be a difference between the sound produced by the Mini & Pro’s DAC and “DACs costing thousands”?

Unfortunately, I discovered that even if I wanted to, I couldn't try the new WiiM+ DAC. AKM.
My pre-amp, vintage, has no digital inputs. I should therefore use, if of good quality, the RCA output of the Pro +. By doing so, however, it would no longer be bit-perfect.
Problem without solution. :unsure:

I should therefore use, if of good quality, the RCA output of the Pro +. By doing so, however, it would no longer be bit-perfect.
Why does using RCA output make it not bit-perfect? I thought the digital to analog conversion happens inside the DAC, and in this case, pro+ will send out bit-perfect signals also via RCA, no?

@Maurizio May be I am absolutely wrong or simply do not understand...
The digital path, where bit -perfect is wanted, will end either in WiiM's internal DAC or in an external DAC. At the DAC's output is analog already....

Unfortunately, I discovered that even if I wanted to, I couldn't try the new WiiM+ DAC. AKM.
My pre-amp, vintage, has no digital inputs. I should therefore use, if of good quality, the RCA output of the Pro +. By doing so, however, it would no longer be bit-perfect.
The Pro+ DAC output is an analog of that bit perfect data stream, just as the analog output of whatever DAC you are currently using is.

I agree. "Bit perfect" means no alteration of any sort - no re-encoding, no up or down sampling, no DSP, no EQ, no volume adjustment etc before the stream hits the DAC (whether its internal or external).

I agree. "Bit perfect" means no alteration of any sort - no re-encoding, no up or down sampling, no DSP, no EQ, no volume adjustment etc before the stream hits the DAC (whether its internal or external).
It would be even more when talking about the stream when it hits the DAC - also maintaining correct timing to let the DAC receive exactly the same stream as the source decoded by the streamer to raw PCM.

Back