WiiM Pro Preview

Here's a rendering of what WiiM Pro will look like. We're expecting WiiM Pro to launch by early December and will be sold through Amazon.com. More info will be on our website www.wiimhome.com. Please stay tuned! In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think of WiiM Pro 🤔

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.53.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.52.29 PM.png

Tech Specs
Software
  • Chromecast Audio
  • AirPlay 2
  • DLNA
  • (Roon Ready expected late Dec or early Q1 2023) - updated
  • MICless Amazon Alexa Voice Service
    (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
  • BT A2DP Source and Sink
  • Linkplay streaming services and multiroom
  • Spotify Connect/TIDAL Connect/Amazon Music cast
  • HD Output 24-bit/192kHz
  • Bit perfect output
  • True gapless playback
  • 10-band EQ or 24 Preset EQs
  • TI Audiophile DAC
  • Frequent FW/App updates
  • Mobile and PC App
Button and LED
  • Capacitive touch control: Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume -, 1 x Presets
  • LED: BT/WiFi/Line-in modes
Hardware
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, BT5.1, Ethernet (100M)
  • Line In RCA
  • Optical In
  • Line out RCA
  • Digital Coaxial Out
  • Optical SPDIF Out
  • USB Type-C power
  • 12v Trigger for AMP
  • Mic for Multiroom audio auto-sync
  • SBC and AAC codec

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJDY6D1W

Attachments

• WiiM Pro (front).png
    WiiM Pro (front).png
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,179
  • WiiM Pro (back).png
    WiiM Pro (back).png
    24 KB · Views: 1,543
Last edited:
I lolled at this review 😅

Seems very obvious to me, but at the same time, it could be important info for some people...
1000007953.png

Looks like it's out of stock once again at Amazon USA. Popular item!

For years, I’ve been streaming Amazon UHD from my iPhone to a Node 2i via AirPlay. I believe I’ve NEVER been getting the full audio experience that Amazon UHD offers, as Airplay caps out at 24bit/48kHz CD quality only.

My understanding is that with a Wimm Pro, I’ll finally be able get Amazon’s music wirelessly from my phone up to UHD 24-bit/192kHz via Alexacast. I’ll just need to ditch my Node 2i. At the same time, I’ll hook up a new external DAC via coax or optical to improve upon the Wiim internal DAC. Assuming I’m correct so far… this is all fantastic news!

My question: As I don’t have a computer in my listening room, a wired USB source isn’t an option. So absent USB, is the Wiim route described above actually a groundbreaking new method to wirelessly stream music at 24-bit/192kHz? Or are there other products out there doing the same thing, perhaps even better, never mind the cost?

Sorry if I’m rehashing, but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger!

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any other product that enables you to use the native amazon app to cast at full resolution.
Other products do allow you to stream amazon at full resolution from within their own apps (e.g. heos), but they then rely on the amazon apis.
I'm assuming you've tried amazon via your node / bluos to see how different that can be.

As for missing out at 'only' 24/ 48... (although I have no experience of how good, or not, airplay is)

I'm not aware of any other product that enables you to use the native amazon app to cast at full resolution.
Other products do allow you to stream amazon at full resolution from within their own apps (e.g. heos), but they then rely on the amazon apis.
I'm assuming you've tried amazon via your node / bluos to see how different that can be.

As for missing out at 'only' 24/ 48... (although I have no experience of how good, or not, airplay is)
Thé WiiM Mini was a world first to support bit perfect AlexaCast from the amazon music app up to 24/192 - you might say the Pro is the only other device that does :)

Hmmm... Well, if it's so easy to hear the difference in streaming bitrates and codecs, what's the point of showing the metadata? It should just be obvious, right?

Hmmm... Well, if it's so easy to hear the difference in streaming bitrates and codecs, what's the point of showing the metadata? It should just be obvious, right?
Hmmm…. Bitrate, codec, and samplerate visibility is pretty standard stuff that I find extremely useful. I own numerous streamers that provide this basic information… that info is even available on antiquated 10+ year old streaming apps running on Android 2.3 (JPGs attached). My understanding of this forum is that it exists as a means to exchange ideas with other Wiimers, and provide a highly responsive Wiim management team with suggestions for further improvement to an already outstanding product. And that is what I am intending to do. OK, so we disagree on what metadata info is useful, but we can do so respectfully and minus the smarminess? Deriding posters that you may disagree with as audiophools, armchair experts, product development lackies, etc, etc, adds nothing to the value of this forum. . Everyone is entitled to their opinions and suggestions.

Attachments

• Bitrate, Codec, Samplerate OD.jpg
    Bitrate, Codec, Samplerate OD.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Bitrate, Codec, Samplerate.jpg
    Bitrate, Codec, Samplerate.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Stream Options and Codec Info.jpg
    Stream Options and Codec Info.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 7
  • StreamOptions - Android 2.3.jpg
    StreamOptions - Android 2.3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I am so looking forward to Roon integration on the Wiim Pro.

In the meantime, I have a couple of questions:

1. Can Wiim Pro handle DSD files internally? If not, can it pass DSD files to my DAC which is DSD512 capable?

2. I don't see "Dolby or "multi-channel" on the road map. How does Wiim Pro handle Atmos or surround tracks on popular streaming sites?

Last edited:
I am so looking forward to Roon integration on the Wiim Pro. In the meantime, I have a question.

Can Wiim Pro handle DSD files internally? If not, can it pass DSD files to my DAC which is DSD512 capable?
Don't think so re the first part, and you'd be better and quicker getting a definitive response from WiiM by using the feedback section in the WiiM app

100% agreed... an important omission that would be very useful if included in a future update. The current Wiim app fails to show COMPLETE information for most internet stations. I rarely see the bitrate (speed) displayed. Listening to a 16/44 stream encoded as mp3 at a 128k bitrate is vastly inferior than listening to that same 16/44 stream encoded as aac over the same 128k bitrate. And, even if codec remains the same, listening to that 16/44 mp3 stream at a 128k bitrate will sound inferior to the same 16/44 mp3 stream delivered at 192k, 256k, or 320k. Is the stream mp3 or aac?... is the bitrate 32, 48, 64, 96, 128. 192, 256, or 320?.. . all important information that is currently unavailable most of the time in the current app version.
If you're looking for robust metadata you need to use Roon as your music controller app.

Using Alexacast for Amazon UHD 24/192, has anyone compared the Wimm Pro internal DAC vs. streaming via Airplay from the Node2i (therefore lower 24/48 bitrate) using the Node2i’s presumably better internal DAC?

I’m curious if it’s worth ditching the Node2i for the Wiim Pro without getting an external DAC.

Using Alexacast for Amazon UHD 24/192, has anyone compared the Wimm Pro internal DAC vs. streaming via Airplay from the Node2i (therefore lower 24/48 bitrate) using the Node2i’s presumably better internal DAC?

I’m curious if it’s worth ditching the Node2i for the Wiim Pro without getting an external DAC.
Or feed the Pro into the Node’s better DAC?

Not so sure the Node 2i has a better DAC, actually.

Fair enough, I’ve just always assumed that given the large price difference and the very vocal “nodophiles” that its DAC was better than the WiiM Mini’s…

Either way, it seems like there’s a consensus that a new Topping or Schiit DAC Will better both the internal Wiim or Node2i DACs. So I’ll probably just try the Wiim alone, then add an external DAC later on.

I don’t think you can stream into the Node2i DAC.

Either way, it seems like there’s a consensus that a new Topping or Schiit DAC Will better both the internal Wiim or Node2i DACs. So I’ll probably just try the Wiim alone, then add an external DAC later on.

I understood it had a toslink input that you could potentially feed the WiiM into

The onboard DAC in the Mini is only OK but using Optical out at 100% to a better DAC is much better.
Airplay will never give you anything beyond 24/48 btw

no just... 3.5mm analogique... with the mini..
the pro have a input toslink

no just... 3.5mm analogique... with the mini..
the pro have a input toslink
… sorry, my comment was in reference to the Node2i DAC having a 3.5mm mini toslink input. So you can use the Node2i as a standalone DAC.

Back