WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
As the WiiMs does not offer any balanced connection yet of course I did not mean them. I like the WiiM for what it offers for cheap. What I mean is this absolute statement that balanced is better in every case. And with all my possible respect that is nonsense! It is always the whole picture of a device but that is not to get with sinus and square waves only. And really middle or high end is quite rare in your ASR world and to be honest most of the participants simply can not afford. That is of course not to blame, but then there must be accepted limits. I guess minimum 80% of the tested gear is what I call chinois garbage. Therefore I will repeat always that for the audio industry The Cult will ever remain irrelevant.
But my wishes for a good 2024 are true.

Upon reading what’s the connection included, it seems to me a wiim amp without amp but with display. I have just about every wiim product including mini, pro and amp.

I think users here want to see a similar eversolo dmp a6 at the third of the cost. That would be nice as we are cheap bustard.

Reactions: RKM
Wow, a lot of (unnecessary) hate for balanced outs :rolleyes: … I actually agree with what has been stated, but do note not all DACs have USB capability. And not just about the actual electrical benefits (which again I agree are negligible to none in many cases), some also like the physical connectors XLR offer, just another connection option, that is all. Assuming no major issue for WiiM to implement , there is no reason not to do this, and their competition is doing so. Also, on the AES, many folks are moving to active speakers with dig in, so my feeling this is a must for future proofing.

Absolutely no hate at all from me. If the Ultra comes with balanced outs, that’ll be great as far as I’m concerned.

I wasn’t hating balanced outs. I was pointing out the hyperbole of comments saying balanced outs are a necessity.

Last edited:
Absolutely no hate at all from me. If the Ultra comes with balanced outs, that’ll be great as far as I’m concerned.

I wasn’t hating balanced outs. I was pointing out the hyperbole of comments saying if it didn’t have balanced outs are a necessity.
Not saying a necessity, but if WiiM going to all the trouble to develop a new product with the name “Ultra”, it should better reflect the name in its features and design ;)

Wiim can you please have the same similar eversolo dmp a6 connection even it cost identical to competition? With that said, it will be end game for just about everyone.

I think some people misunderstand the whole world of balanced connections.

This should be a big help.

For interconnects, if you don’t get ground loops, balanced connections offer no improvement.

Importantly, in the world of desktop DACs, amps, streamers, PCs, etc., ground loops are a real possibility with so many different components plugged separately into your power supply (especially a PC or laptop).

But with the Ultra being an all-in-one front end, they’re unlikely. Well, as likely as from plugging a CD player into an amp in ye olde dayes.

As it is, unless I’ve missed something, no one has yet reported ground loop hum from any WiiM streamer into an amp, which tells you all you need to know.

For the record, if the Ultra comes with balanced outs, and does everything I think it will, I’ll be using balanced connectors between it and my amp - no hate here.

Last edited:
Not saying a necessity, but if WiiM going to all the trouble to develop a new product with the name “Ultra”, it should better reflect the name in its features and design ;)

Yeah, I take your point. I suppose one man’s definition of ‘ultra’ might be different to the next.

But any and all ‘goodies’ on this device will be welcome, of course.

Reactions: RKM
You know what, wiim has no problem giving us every known imaginable connectivity but there are users would not pay for the features that they don’t need that added to the cost. On the other hand, there’s users want everything on it. It’s not easy to satisfy human being as there always something that either want and don’t want.

You know what, wiim has no problem giving us every known imaginable connectivity but there are users would not pay for the features that they don’t need that added to the cost. On the other hand, there’s users want everything on it. It’s not easy to satisfy human being as there always something that either want and don’t want.
Yup. Already people complaining that there’ll be a turntable input, presumably as they don’t have use for it, so will be paying for something they don’t use.

I suspect very few of us own any AV product on which we use every feature.

Yup. Already people complaining that there’ll be a turntable input, presumably as they don’t have use for it, so will be paying for something they don’t use.

I suspect very few of us own any AV product on which we use every feature.
I saw one user comment as soon read that there’s phono input automatically said not interested. I don’t use phono input so that feature has no use to me. I have AV receiver from Yamaha which there current product. Prior to wiim amp. I was using Yamaha as pre amp because it has pre out to drive mono block amp which drive power hungry Polk legend. The problem on Yamaha pre out is low out and I’m not able to get the power I get from mono block which rated 450 at 8 ohms. Even when volume at near zero it’s barely loud. Wiim amp despite its only 60 watt it able to drive these speakers to its full glory. Reviewer from cheap audio man and darko stating its sound lean and clean. To my set up its sound full bodied and clean. There’s nothing lean on sound maybe their speakers are the sounds that was lean unable to produce deep bass. I think this wiim amp is my end game till something new that comes out that will get itch to upgrade.

Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra.

- USB media server
Just confirming that "USB media server" means the Ultra will have a music server onboard and not need a separate computer running to support playback of local files? Just need to plug a portable USB drive into the rear panel of the Ultra. The server will support streaming to other WiiM players? Is it using DLNA/UPnP? Please make sure it is capable of "gapless" playback. Thanks.

I have a pretty good understanding of how balanced interconnects work. And I've worked in pro sound for many years. I also agree with Amir's opinion to pay the extra cost to use balanced connections wherever possible. Wouldn't be that costly to include it in an "Ultra" version. I am glad to see the "Ultra" will have a USB output so an external DAC with balanced out can be used. I haven't used a Wiim product but I've had ground loop issues with audio at home. I have a set of tube monoblocks that seem to have ground loop hum with everything that I've paired with them. Unfortunately, they don't have balanced inputs. Thus, In the future, I wouldn't buy an amplifer that doesn't have properly implemented balanced connections. Just makes life easier. IMO, balanced is just a better way to interface audio components.

Bill Whitlock, former President of Jensen transformers, wrote a white paper about balanced audio interfaces almost thirty years ago.

My Musician Draco DAC apparently sounds best through the I2s connection. I guess I could use a DSD from USB to i2s. I was hoping for an I2S output, oh well.

Hi Steve, Team

Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra.

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Integrated power supply
- Phono input
Not essential, but would be useful if there was a bypass switch for the phono input (assuming analogue RIIA EQ/preamp,) to convert it to an additional line input, for those who'd prefer an extra line input, and those who use their own phono stage, or whose turntables have an integrated preamp.

Apologies @WiiM Support , I think I may have 101 questions.

You’ve said the USB port can be used for an external DAC. I like that, but can you clarify a couple of things.

Firstly, can I use the upcoming room correction software, and/or PEQ within the WiiM Ultra, then send this ‘corrected’ digital signal to the external DAC, or will the USB port only output the original digital signal?
The room correction EQ also applies to the USB output.
Secondly, will I be able to split the sub off from the main digital feed, and output the sub over the subwoofer out, and the high-passed remaining digital signal out over the USB port to the external DAC?

Many thanks.
Yes, exactly.

I have a pretty good understanding of how balanced interconnects work. And I've worked in pro sound for many years. I also agree with Amir's opinion to pay the extra cost to use balanced connections wherever possible. Wouldn't be that costly to include it in an "Ultra" version. I am glad to see the "Ultra" will have a USB output so an external DAC with balanced out can be used. I haven't used a Wiim product but I've had ground loop issues with audio at home. I have a set of tube monoblocks that seem to have ground loop hum with everything that I've paired with them. Unfortunately, they don't have balanced inputs. Thus, In the future, I wouldn't buy an amplifer that doesn't have properly implemented balanced connections. Just makes life easier. IMO, balanced is just a better way to interface audio components.

Bill Whitlock, former President of Jensen transformers, wrote a white paper about balanced audio interfaces almost thirty years ago.

I have same issue on my mono block amp that has toroidal transformer but with after googling there was a device you can purchase. Google it emotiva cmx 2. I purchase it and if did not work I would return it. Guess what? Their secret sauce does in fact work. My mono block are dead silent. So if your amp is buzzing and humming try them out. According to them that buzz cause by dc on ac line.

Back