WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
the compact disc spec covered everything a human needs to hear already in 1982. there is nothing of value whatsoever in digital connections, even cheap but properly designed modern dac`s are very immune to what comes in.
just because something feels better to you does not mean the signal is better at all. also apply your expectation bias in the mix.

the compact disc spec covered everything a human needs to hear already in 1982.

I think that’s perhaps over simplifying it.

I found this podcast quite a good listen, particularly from around six or seven minutes in where the impact of digital filters was discussed. Given that they’re the informed opinions of an engineer/designer with decades of experience rather than just those of a YouTube pundit, I found it quite informative and entertaining.

I know this is a bit late in the day, but…

Instead of ‘Sub Out’, can we have ‘Sub Outs’ (plural)?

Please and thank you.

Okay, so the Ultra’s finished spec will be with us soon enough. But there a few things I’d love to know which probably wouldn’t be on the final published spec sheet.

So we know (or strongly suspect) this will have a sub out (we know that) and digital outs (for your own DAC) and possibly balanced outs (who knows).

What I’d love to know is how flexible the bass managed output will be. Let’s say out is 3 x RCAs, red and white for left and right and yellow for sub. Will you be able to use your own DAC in place of the L&R outs on the ultra, post-bass management?

If there are balanced outs as well as RCAs - again, let’s say 3 - will you be able to use balanced L&R outs but unbalanced RCA for the sub (many subs don’t have a balanced input).

Any idea, @WiiM Support ?

Many thanks.

If there are balanced outs as well as RCAs - again, let’s say 3 - will you be able to use balanced L&R outs but unbalanced RCA for the sub (many subs don’t have a balanced input).
I am pretty sure that you could use RCA sub out together with the balanced main speaker connection. Otherwise it would not make sense to have a sub out.

I found this podcast quite a good listen, particularly from around six or seven minutes in where the impact of digital filters was discussed. Given that they’re the informed opinions of an engineer/designer with decades of experience rather than just those of a YouTube pundit, I found it quite informative and entertaining.

to me he speaks the same nonsense as most audiophiles online.
ask them to provide any evidence to support what they claim. measurements and also blindtest studies (if for some reason they dont believe in measurements).
im pretty sure the result will be zero.

ask them to provide any evidence to support what they claim. measurements and also blindtest studies (if for some reason they dont believe in measurements).
If you can't hear the difference then good for you, save your money.

Okay, so the Ultra’s finished spec will be with us soon enough. But there a few things I’d love to know which probably wouldn’t be on the final published spec sheet.

So we know (or strongly suspect) this will have a sub out (we know that) and digital outs (for your own DAC) and possibly balanced outs (who knows).

What I’d love to know is how flexible the bass managed output will be. Let’s say out is 3 x RCAs, red and white for left and right and yellow for sub. Will you be able to use your own DAC in place of the L&R outs on the ultra, post-bass management?

Any idea, @WiiM Support ?

Many thanks.
Wiim never announced balanced connections for the Wiim Ultra in their preliminary announcement.

Who are you talking about, Darko or his guest Peter Comeau? I certainly wouldn't describe his guest as anything other than very informed - he comes across as knowing what he talks about, backed with years of actual design and listening experience

Who are you talking about, Darko or his guest Peter Comeau? I certainly wouldn't describe his guest as anything other than very informed - he comes across as knowing what he talks about, backed with years of actual design and listening experience
i havent seen evidence of what he says about lower samplingrates causing distortion in the high-freq, brickwall filters causing unnatural sound etc. i guess the closest measurement would be a bad impulse respons causing ringing, which in some cases may be true.

If you can't hear the difference then good for you, save your money.

And if you think you can, you owe it to everyone to check if you really can or are suffering a bias (no shame in that), then provide your methodology and results for others to see if it can be replicated.

That’s the scientific method.

Anyone who doesn’t like it or agree with it, should probably stop taking medicines or flying in planes.

They certainly shouldn’t be telling anyone in a public forum that they can hear a difference, if they’re not even prepared to check that fact themselves.

IMVHO.

Listen buddy, I can hear the difference in DACs, cables, and bit rates. If you can't that's fine. Please don't tell me what I can and can't hear because you can't hear any difference. Don't forget that in order to hear differences in audio you need to have a good resolving system. If you're listening through Sonos bluetooth or the like then yes lots of equipment sounds the same.

Yes, that’s why I said “…possibly balanced outs, who knows?
You have stated your balanced connection wish list at least a handful of times in this thread. I don’t understand why you’re asking questions on something that doesn’t exist. The approach of wishing it over and over to make it true is childish and tiring. We get it, Steve Woodhouse wants balanced connections.

Listen buddy, I can hear the difference in DACs, cables, and bit rates. If you can't that's fine. Please don't tell me what I can and can't hear because you can't hear any difference. Don't forget that in order to hear differences in audio you need to have a good resolving system. If you're listening through Sonos bluetooth or the like then yes lots of equipment sounds the same.

Where did I say you couldn’t hear it?

Read my comments again.

You may well be able to hear it. To prove to yourself this isn’t confirmation bias, do a controlled test.

You appear to be desperate to avoid checking for yourself.

Suggesting you check for confirmation bias isn’t rude or insulting, as 100% of human beings are susceptible to it, me included.

You have stated your balanced connection wish list at least a handful of times in this thread. I don’t understand why you’re asking questions on something that doesn’t exist. The approach of wishing it over and over to make it true is childish and tiring. We get it, Steve Woodhouse wants balanced connections.

I believe I’ve said in this thread that I’m not too bothered if there are balanced outs or not.

That doesn’t change the fact that you claimed my post said WiiM said there were going to be balanced outs, when I clearly didn’t.

Please stop trying to cover up your error. By making another.

I believe I’ve said in this thread that I’m not too bothered if there are balanced outs or not.

That doesn’t change the fact that you claimed my post said WiiM said there were going to be balanced outs, when I clearly didn’t.

Please stop trying to cover up your error. By making another.
Everyone here sees what you’re doing and saying. How old are you? 14? I’m done.

So here’s what I’ve said:

“The only advantage for balanced outs is either (a) if you’re running extremely long cables, or (b) to eliminate ground loops.

If you don’t need long cable runs and don’t experience ground loops, balanced outs make no difference.”

Post in thread 'WiiM Ultra'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-33952

And:

“There is another factor.

If someone is already so ‘high end’ that they insist on balanced outs, then they almost certainly have a great DAC with balanced outs already, and they can (and almost certainly will be doing, anyway) use the USB port to feed that DAC, rather than using the WiiM Ultra’s analogue outs.

Which makes having balanced outs on the Ultra itself completely superfluous.”

Post in thread 'WiiM Ultra'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-33964

Back