WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Just to show abum art without needing a phone, and additionally to it. I like my SB Touch screen, if I don't have my phone app loaded, I can just glance over the SB touch screen and see what's playing (if I have it on random etc)

Plus there is a group that want old skool VU meter or display

Exactly. Matter of fact, I wouldn't even need touch control, just passive display of album cover art, artist/song/album meta data and option for some VU meters ...Squeezebox really had this nailed down.

I'm guessing that today's desktop WiiM'ers are using a phone (a 6" to 7" high resolution, dedicated display) or a tablet (9" or larger dedicated display) and perhaps not the desktop app. I'm wondering why an attached display seems desirable for desktop use as it would be more difficult to position for optimal viewing than a detached, portable device. It also wouldn't likely provide better specs than a current tablet or phone screen while increasing the cost of the Ultra. Not to mention that the phone is still just as likely to be nearby. If WiiM could finesse an HDMI out into the Ultra, it would make larger, dedicated displays possible like the one you're showing above. Or allow for integration into a secondary input on your desktop monitor, or into a TV above an entertainment center. That would be a real differentiator and provide greater utility.
Well, you'd be incorrect in my case. I rarely use the WiiM app at all, greatly prefer using my Chrome extensions on the big 27" screen in front of me. Also, I've had a screen sitting on my DAC (within arm's length so I can easily use its volume control) for years, starting with LMS; it's the perfect position for optimal viewing, and displays the date/time when no music is playing. Any streamer with a screen and volume control would also be optimally placed. I've yet to find a phone or tablet app that can do what this does - they always need to be fiddled with, as they time out the screen, whether music is playing or not.

BTW, I'm currently using an HDMI screen - the 8" display I've chosen is the perfect size for this purpose.

Just to show abum art without needing a phone, and additionally to it. I like my SB Touch screen, if I don't have my phone app loaded, I can just glance over the SB touch screen and see what's playing (if I have it on random etc).

Plus there is a group that want old skool VU meter or display
EVOR04-slim with an Arylic Up2Stream Mini board to sync with your WiiM to drive it. No coding required, tons of display options (spectrum, VU, etc). The Arylic board could just as easily drive one of those Douk VU displays.

IMG_1430.jpeg
IMG_1431.jpeg

Last edited:
In Europe it would be nice to have a hdmi input , like the bluesound node x . Maybe more important than a display ? ….And maybe a beefy metal remote control, like the new Apple tv:s .

I can’t help thinking that there are going to be a lot of disappointed people when the Ultra is released!

I can’t help thinking that there are going to be a lot of disappointed people when the Ultra is released!
I wish for the Ultra expecting people to see that your prophecy goes FALSE !! :)

None of "us" will have a crucial impact on WiiM's policy and decision.
WiiM's polite answering to many suggestions, questions and a few developments makes me feel once again some people losing grip on reality. WiiM found their mostly satisfied customers because they offer extremely affordable price-worthy builds and they are playing the social media card quite well. They jumped on the train of this "audiophile" and hi-res nonsense at the right moment.
I wonder (and I doubt) if they will succeed once they chose to compete in higher price ranges with the longer established and well regarded competition. The market for the people with money for the bigger toys is competitive and not known for risk-taking propensity 😉

None of "us" will have a crucial impact on WiiM's policy and decision.
WiiM's polite answering to many suggestions, questions and a few developments makes me feel once again some people losing grip on reality. WiiM found their mostly satisfied customers because they offer extremely affordable price-worthy builds and they are playing the social media card quite well. They jumped on the train of this "audiophile" and hi-res nonsense at the right moment.
I wonder (and I doubt) if they will succeed once they chose to compete in higher price ranges with the longer established and well regarded competition. The market for the people with money for the bigger toys is competitive and not known for risk-taking propensity 😉

No matter where I look in this post, I won't find any jokes! Have you already given up on joking here? 🤔🤔🤔

Or are you just not drinking enough? 🤣🍻
I am very worried. 😱

(However, what you say is true.)

No matter where I look in this post, I won't find any jokes! Have you already given up on joking here? 🤔🤔🤔

Or are you just not drinking enough? 🤣🍻
I am very worried. 😱

(However, what you say is true.)
No alcohol before 16:00, no brown shoes after 18:00 and don't f*** the company 😉
Golden Rules from a Scottish mother!
I fear always the topic police when I post a joke...but anyway, there is a huge collection.

IMG_2167.jpeg

As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details and images in due course.
amazing! Wiim if you're listening a high quality digital transport with native Qobuz (app) support with Dirac is the dream

Just my 2c, but I dont care about and just bypass the dacs in these kinds of products, but if Wiim put out a model with some cool 'pro' features on the streaming transport side, like more output options that some people want or could improve the digital passthrough to hang with the overly expensive competition (ie, the holo reds and denafripses of the world, which I assume largely rests on improving the power supply), I'd buy one quick

Last edited:
Just my 2c, but I dont care about and just bypass the dacs in these kinds of products, but if Wiim put out a model with some cool 'pro' features on the streaming transport side, like more output options that some people want or could improve the digital passthrough to hang with the overly expensive competition (ie, the holo reds and denafripses of the world, which I assume largely rests on improving the power supply), I'd buy one quick
Not expensive at all, now this is expensive
Comes in at €67000,-

Not expensive at all, now this is expensive
Comes in at €67000,-
two things can be expensive 🥵

a grand for a streaming component that doesn't have wifi is still expensive in my books, and if you combo it with a dac then the sky is the limit in pricing from the A6 all the way to that $75,000 monstrosity

Why would you bypass an objectively transparent DAC as integrated in the WiiM Pro Plus? Just to burn money by buying a more expensive DAC which is also transparent? Or do you want to purposely introduce coloration by DAC?

For digital transport a WiiM Mini is enough.

Last edited:
Well, you'd be incorrect in my case. I rarely use the WiiM app at all, greatly prefer using my Chrome extensions on the big 27" screen in front of me. Also, I've had a screen sitting on my DAC (within arm's length so I can easily use its volume control) for years, starting with LMS; it's the perfect position for optimal viewing, and displays the date/time when no music is playing. Any streamer with a screen and volume control would also be optimally placed. I've yet to find a phone or tablet app that can do what this does - they always need to be fiddled with, as they time out the screen, whether music is playing or not.

BTW, I'm currently using an HDMI screen - the 8" display I've chosen is the perfect size for this purpose.
Interesting viewpoint.

As you know I’m LMS through and through so I only ever open the WiiM app on anything to change a setting but that aside my listening falls into 2 categories and I have a different approach for each.

Worktime. Small HiFi with streamers (WiiM mini and a Pi) connected to tiny Wharfedale Cubes on my desktop with a sub woofer under the desk. Here I control my listening via web browser but also have an O2 Joggler as a Now Playing/Touch Screen Controller. I don’t often actually touch the screen and never control by phone.

Leisure. Either Raspberry Pi and DAC via main HiFi or headphones. All control via my phone although I do have another O2 Joggler as a Now Playing display in my Living Room. Never control via web.

As someone said. Horses for courses.

Why would you bypass an objectively transparent DAC as integrated in the WiiM Pro Plus? Just to burn money by buying a more expensive DAC which is also transparent? Or do you want to purposely introduce coloration by DAC?

Please don't use 'transparency' as a measure of quality, you didn't stumble onto a unicorn. A good low cost option, absolutely, that's what Wiim's goal is and they're doing it well.

I had a Mini once, it failed to do its job as a transport and went back.

Please don't use 'logic' or 'good sense' in a discussion, it's not as if WiiM hardware can possibly be as good as other options costing tens or hundreds of times as much. If that were the case, why would people possibly be charging so much money for them? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and reboot my audiophile ethernet switch.

Back