WiiM Pro Plus

WiiM will announce the ProPlus soon and Roon Readiness will be delivered via an OTA update after that, hopefully in a matter of weeks.
Can't wait, finally we can experience the "velvet" AKM sound without breaking the bank with expensive DACs.

The last time I checked, even those AKM "hats" for RiP boards are more expensive than Pro+ itself but without all the convenience and features of Pro+, so I think the Pro+ will be another winner by Wiim!

Can't wait, finally we can experience the "velvet" AKM sound without breaking the bank with expensive DACs.

The last time I checked, even those AKM "hats" for RiP boards are more expensive than Pro+ itself but without all the convenience and features of Pro+, so I think the Pro+ will be another winner by Wiim!
There are inexpensive DACs with velvetsound line chips from AKM, like SMSL PO100 AK or SU-1.

Velvet sound :)
They were hardly going to call it corduroy were they, despite both deriving from the same weaving technique.

There are inexpensive DACs with velvetsound line chips from AKM, like SMSL PO100 AK or SU-1.
And there are relatively expensive amps/streamers like those from Linn that use(d) AKM4493EQ DACs as well - those might even be what are used in my £3k Linn MDSM/4, but has been said before there’s more to DAC kit than just its core chip.

Some might even argue that the chip itself isn't particulalry important at all.
There are a number of quite expensive, well regarded dacs that use 'old', M designation (mobile) chipsets.
We all want the latest, highest numbers for everything ;)

I just hope WiiM has implemented everything well including a “linear power supply” upgrade option which I read may make a big difference?

The power supply is external, so you can add one at your whim, though it will make a difference only in the imagination.
If it doesn’t make a difference, then it’s great news. More money saved with the new Pro+ path.

But lots of YouTubers and forums claim power supply make a HUGE difference, why is this the case?

If it doesn’t make a difference, then it’s great news. More money saved with the new Pro+ path.

But lots of YouTubers and forums claim power supply make a HUGE difference, why is this the case?
There are a lot of know-nothings out there. See ASR for science-based information on why this doesn’t make a difference.

@WiimFan
Do yourself a favor and beware of Amir's children's playground. You will certainly be confused by a lot of know-nothings but feeling-important-writings with their oscilloscopes and their great vocabulary of what they call science. 😉

add. Of course not every ASR participant is as I wrote, but also not every "Youtuber" or whatsoever is dumb. Also it is a big difference for me between users following the measurement way and doing great jobs here and give daily proofs of what they do. But only writing "look at ASR" and get smart is cheap and too easy. There are as many charlatans as on every other platform. The absolute number will differ. One is a for many people relevant platform and the other is.....the tiny refuge of the enlightened?

Last edited:
And there are relatively expensive amps/streamers like those from Linn that use(d) AKM4493EQ DACs as well - those might even be what are used in my £3k Linn MDSM/4, but has been said before there’s more to DAC kit than just its core chip.
Yes, but the answer was about the possibility to get a "velvetsound" solution already "without breaking the bank with expensive DACs", nothing more.

If anything is missing from the Pro, and I understand it will be missing from the Pro+ as well, is the volume control (physical, analog) and the headphone jack. For the rest I think that at this price you really can't ask for more.
These two absences are actually quite annoying, but not to the point of causing its value to plummet.

If anything is missing from the Pro, and I understand it will be missing from the Pro+ as well, is the volume control (physical, analog) and the headphone jack. For the rest I think that at this price you really can't ask for more.
These two absences are actually quite annoying, but not to the point of causing its value to plummet.
The top buttons can control volume, can't they?
Or prev / next track.
But not both!

Hopefully a next battlefield will not be opened 😉 digital vs analog volume controls. Another never ending story about pros and cons...

Back