WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
removing it from the project now would cost him nothing just as it would cost him nothing to remove the useless DAC or phono

removing it from the project now would cost him nothing just as it would cost him nothing to remove the useless DAC or phono
I agree, I don’t understand the phono integration. The majority of owners won’t use it. Only a small percentage will benefit from it and even within that group they already have a solution.

Hopefully Wiim will upgrade the DAC to something like a ES9039MSPRO or AK4499EX to live up to the “Ultra” name.

The two things I’m hoping for is a better DAC and expanded PEQ capabilities with room correction. I’m more of a meat and potatoes type of person but don’t mind the gravy. The screen isn’t necessary but I don’t mind it being there.

I'm all in for USB out and aluminium case! (nice USB DAC and all silver components around here)
The screen is nice, but I won't kill or break the bank for it.

I read in a review over the weekend, that the new, FiiO R9 (all-in-one), will retail for $2,300USD. Yes, you read that right! So we know that whatever the WiiM Ultra will have, it won't be that costly!

I read in a review over the weekend, that the new, FiiO R9 (all-in-one), will retail for $2,300USD. Yes, you read that right! So we know that whatever the WiiM Ultra will have, it won't be that costly!

Agreed. Though I have just a little concern that the ‘ultraness’ of this product, and its place in WiiM’s line up, might result in a price which is hiked higher than necessary.

Adding a screen, and headphone/balanced outs really shouldn’t add more than £150-£200 to the price of the Pro Plus.

After reading most of the wishes for the WiiM Ultra, people must be ready for a $2000 pricetag to fulfill what many want. It seems that many want the functionality from a high end streamer + high end processor, and believe that WiiM can make it for 10% of the price. Its time to wake up and be realistic 🙈

After reading most of the wishes for the WiiM Ultra, people must be ready for a $2000 pricetag to fulfill what many want. It seems that many want the functionality from a high end streamer + high end processor, and believe that WiiM can make it for 10% of the price. Its time to wake up and be realistic 🙈

Could you tell me how you’ve reached that price point?

The WiiM Pro Plus is already a world-class streamer at £220, so it doesn’t need a better streamer or DAC. It already has 4 bands of PEQ, with more to be added (for free). Room correction is coming soon to all WiiM streamers (for free), including the £90 Mini. The £300 Amp already has a sub out and bass management.

The shopping list for the Ultra amounts to adding a screen (maybe £100-£150), and balanced outs (around £50). Include a decent headphone amp for £150 if necessary. Have I missed anything?

Where do you get £2,000 from?

Last edited:

The WiiM Pro Plus is already a world-class streamer at £220, so it doesn’t need a better streamer or DAC. It already has 4 bands of PEQ, with more to be added (for free). Room correction is coming soon to all WiiM streamers (for free), including the £90 Mini. The £300 Amp already has a sub out and bass management.

The shopping list for the Ultra amounts to adding a screen (maybe £100-£150), and balanced outs (around £50). Include a decent headphone amp for £150 if necessary. Have I missed anything?

Where did you read that Ultra includes a balance out? (Could that be your wish?)

I've never heard a team mention a balance out. 🤔

I havent been doing an excact calculation, just an estimate for what other gear of that specs would have been sold for.

I dont think you can get a screen like the Eversolo for that kind of money, maybe £200.
And it has been wished for fully balanced circuity, not just adding XLR-outs to a single ended circuit - that will not cost £50.

Just to take some wishes I have seen:
- Fully balanced circuit with XLR outputs
- Internal slot for M2 SSD
- AES/EBU output
- USB output
- USB input with possibility to operate as NAS/server
- High end internal DAC
- HDMI ARC input
- HDMI inputs and output, buypass 4K
- XLR inputs and more RCA inputs than one
- Way better ADC with good RIIA for turntable
- Screen like Eversolo
- Good preamp section for 2channel with analog volume control
- 8 channel DAC with outputs so it can be used as a prosessor direct to multichannel power amp
- Roomcorrection and bassmanagement from Dirac
- Linear powersupply (some want inside, other outside)
- Good headphone amp

There has also been more wishes, but i cant remember everything from the top of my head.

Last edited:
I havent been doing an excact calculation, just an estimate for what other gear of that specs would have been sold for.

I dont think you can get a screen like the Eversolo for that kind of money, maybe £200.
And it has been wished for fully balanced circuity, not just adding XLR-outs to a single ended circuit - that will not cost £50.

Just to take some wishes I have seen:
- Fully balanced circuit with XLR outputs
- Internal slot for M2 SSD
- AES/EBU output
- USB output
- USB input with possibility to operate as NAS/server
- High end internal DAC
- HDMI ARC input
- HDMI inputs and output, buypass 4K
- XLR inputs and more RCA inputs than one
- Way better ADC with good RIIA for turntable
- Screen like Eversolo
- Good preamp section for 2channel with analog volume control
- 8 channel DAC with outputs so it can be used as a prosessor direct to multichannel power amp
- Roomcorrection and bassmanagement from Dirac
- Linear powersupply (some want inside, other outside)
- Good headphone amp

There has also been more wishes, but i cant remember everything from the top of my head.

As has been said many times, balanced circuitry isn’t necessary. If the output is good, that’s what we listen to - how the manufacturer get there is their business.

It’s amazing just how many of the things in your list are already on the WiiM Amp. But some of the things you mention are simply not on the cards, they’re not what the Ultra is ever going to be about. An 8 channel DAC for an AV processor? You might as well ask for a frother for your coffee. This is a stereo product. USB in and out us already on the WiiM Amp. A transparent DAC is already on the Pro Plus. HDMI ARC input already on the Amp. Bass management already on the Amp. Room management already on its way.

It’s almost as if you made a list of wants which was two items long, and irrelevant/unnecessary, and beefed the list up by adding a long list of items we already know will be on the Ultra.

🤷‍♂️

Like @Wiimer, I’m losing the plot over what people have wished for (and are still wishing for), what WiiM have actually said they’ll deliver and which comments refer to what…🤷‍♂️

KEEP UP! 🤣

Only kidding.

The sooner the full specs are out, the better.

All we know so far is in post 1:

“…(the Ultea) will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output.”

It’s probably safe to assume it’ll also have the features on (and ‘coming soon’ to) the Pro Plus and Amp.

As has been said many times, balanced circuitry isn’t necessary. If the output is good, that’s what we listen to - how the manufacturer get there is their business.

It’s amazing just how many of the things in your list are already on the WiiM Amp. But some of the things you mention are simply not on the cards, they’re not what the Ultra is ever going to be about. An 8 channel DAC for an AV processor? You might as well ask for a frother for your coffee. This is a stereo product. USB in and out us already on the WiiM Amp. A transparent DAC is already on the Pro Plus. HDMI ARC input already on the Amp. Bass management already on the Amp. Room management already on its way.

It’s almost as if you made a list of wants which was two items long, and irrelevant/unnecessary, and beefed the list up by adding a long list of items we already know will be on the Ultra.

🤷‍♂️
I just listed wishes I have seen - take it for what it is.

Totally agree that many is ridicolus on a stereo-product

Like @Wiimer, I’m losing the plot over what people have wished for (and are still wishing for), what WiiM have actually said they’ll deliver and which comments refer to what…🤷‍♂️
There is also another wish list, contradicting a bit - let's add usb audio and remove everything else.

Fair play mate, best wishes.

My own ‘shopping list’ is basically a Pro Plus with full bass management/sub out and room correction/dsp that so many are using AV receivers for.
Yes I am very satiesfied with my WiiM Pro and NAD Masters M51 combo, so dont need a lot extra.

The perfect streamer for me would be (with WiiM Pro as starting point):
- Adding a AES-EBU output
- Chassis in aluminum
- Internal linear powersupply (to get rid of the iPad-usbsocket/powersupply)
- HDMI-out only for a "Whats playing screen"

Actually I dont need any ADC, DAC or Bluetooth built in, but I guess this is good to have for the majority (y)

Back