WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Your lack of self awareness is remarkable.
Look, you said I’ve had a ‘balanced connection shopping list’. I’ve posted where I’ve said in most cases they won’t be necessary.

I don’t mind debating with you in a lively and friendly manner. But the bottom line is that I’ve quoted what I’ve posted.

Perhaps you’ve mistaken me with someone else. I’m not going to say that makes you an idiot. Indeed, I’d be the first to say it’s easily done.

Where did I say you couldn’t hear it?

Read my comments again.

You may well be able to hear it. To prove to yourself this isn’t confirmation bias, do a controlled test.

You appear to be desperate to avoid checking for yourself.

Suggesting you check for confirmation bias isn’t rude or insulting, as 100% of human beings are susceptible to it, me included.
You said "if you think you can" implying that I can't. Believe me when I first got into this hobby I was skeptical about many audiophile claims. Some of them I still think are snakeoil. I finally bit the bullet and bought some highly resolving headphones, the Hifiman Arya Organic. These headphones enable me to hear soundtracks as I've never heard them before. Live performances sounded as if I was in the audience. Separation of instruments to each other and the placement of vocals was a revalation to me. So I started testing my system with different components. I have spent many hours evaluating equipment in blind tests with a friend of mine. I know what I hear and I'm not alone.

Look, you said I’ve had a ‘balanced connection shopping list’. I’ve posted where I’ve said in most cases they won’t be necessary.

I don’t mind debating with you in a lively and friendly manner. But the bottom line is that I’ve quoted what I’ve posted.

Perhaps you’ve mistaken me with someone else. I’m not going to say that makes you an idiot. Indeed, I’d be the first to say it’s easily done.
It‘s not a debate. There’s no point in asking questions on things that don’t exist. Once things are confirmed to be implemented in the unit then it makes sense to ask more information about it. I’m not going to say that makes you an idiot but I can see how sometimes we can get ahead of ourselves.

Yup, those Organics are really great headphones if you suffer from age-related hearing loss. (Note: this is not sarcasm, nor do I mean anything offensive - they really are awesome headphones if your ears aren't what they used to be, and I like a bit of treble boost myself, too.)

Yup, those Organics are really great headphones if you suffer from age-related hearing loss. (Note: this is not sarcasm, nor do I mean anything offensive - they really are awesome headphones if your ears aren't what they used to be, and I like a bit of treble boost myself, too.)
Yes I love the Organics. I agree that they are a little bright. However with my R2R Dac, the Musician Draco, the treble is just right. It is a beautiful combo IMHO.

Anyone familiar with the CYP DCT-37? It is about the only fully fledged audio and video (4k) component device, other than a av preamp, that I can find BUT it does not do streaming. Maybe the ultra could emulate this in terms of connectivity. If anyone uses this item your thoughts would be interesting.

Listen buddy, I can hear the difference in DACs, cables, and bit rates. If you can't that's fine. Please don't tell me what I can and can't hear because you can't hear any difference. Don't forget that in order to hear differences in audio you need to have a good resolving system. If you're listening through Sonos bluetooth or the like then yes lots of equipment sounds the same.
A very, very, excellent resolving system at that too. :)

Listen buddy, I can hear the difference in DACs, cables, and bit rates. If you can't that's fine. Please don't tell me what I can and can't hear because you can't hear any difference. Don't forget that in order to hear differences in audio you need to have a good resolving system. If you're listening through Sonos bluetooth or the like then yes lots of equipment sounds the same.
I believe what you said and in fact I get criticized by that user name and other two trolls. Because they can’t hear it, they think we’re bias and we don’t know what we’re talking about. They will keep pushing what they think and paint everyone a bias. I believe these user names has problem on their ear or using cheap gear that are not revealing. There was a topic linear power supply and they surely made this person look bad. Some of them even say how can you make 1 and 0 clean. My ear can hear that many ear would missed and that’s how I know which gear that made little difference or significant.

I believe what you said and in fact I get criticized by that user name and other two trolls. Because they can’t hear it, they think we’re bias and we don’t know what we’re talking about. They will keep pushing what they think and paint everyone a bias. I believe these user names has problem on their ear or using cheap gear that are not revealing. There was a topic linear power supply and they surely made this person look bad. Some of them even say how can you make 1 and 0 clean. My ear can hear that many ear would missed and that’s how I know which gear that made little difference or significant.

That’s not the case at all.

The limits of human audibility are well established, and unchallenged.

It’s not that I doubt whether you can hear it because I can’t. It’s because you being able to hear it would contradict decades of scientific research.

Pointing this out is not trolling.

That’s not the case at all.

The limits of human audibility are well established, and unchallenged.

It’s not that I doubt whether you can hear it because I can’t. It’s because you being able to hear it would contradict decades of scientific research.

Pointing this out is not trolling.
Look cd frequency response is above what human can hear let alone high resolution. If it’s makes you feel better that you think you can well that’s on you. Can you hear above 20khz? Animal can but human no.

1707395142732.png

So the benefit of high res is not hearing more frequencies obviously.... It is the easier job of the reconstruction filter of the dac allowing to apply a far gentler slope while converting the signal to the audible range with less artefacts.

Look cd frequency response is above what human can hear let alone high resolution. If it’s makes you feel better that you think you can well that’s on you. Can you hear above 20khz? Animal can but human no.

Erm…yes, that’s what I’m saying. I agree.

Given that even cheap DACs these days go way above 44.1 (more than double Nyquist for 20khz) I’m more than happy with this.

Now. If we only had 44.1khz DACs, and someone brought out a 96khz DAC costing £5,000, we might feel a need to test that theory.

I wouldn’t automatically accept it, just because I’ve seen it on the internet, and I’d be sceptical, but more than happy to see what transpires.

If someone had one of these super DACs and said it sounded better, but refused to even do a controlled test on themselves, my scepticism would remain.

I hope you agree that this would be a logical approach.

the difference is more pronounced in cheaper dacs. you did not understand anything about how this works

Here’s a cheaper DAC. It’s clearly transparent to the source.

Please explain how it could sound more accurate.

You said "if you think you can" implying that I can't. Believe me when I first got into this hobby I was skeptical about many audiophile claims. Some of them I still think are snakeoil. I finally bit the bullet and bought some highly resolving headphones, the Hifiman Arya Organic. These headphones enable me to hear soundtracks as I've never heard them before. Live performances sounded as if I was in the audience. Separation of instruments to each other and the placement of vocals was a revalation to me. So I started testing my system with different components. I have spent many hours evaluating equipment in blind tests with a friend of mine. I know what I hear and I'm not alone.

If you performed a controlled test, you must think that’s valid.

If it’s valid, why do you call people who ask you to do one ‘trolls’?

Please post details of the test (how it was conducted, etc.) and the results, so others can see if your results can be replicated.

Here’s a cheaper DAC. It’s clearly transparent to the source.

Please explain how it could sound more accurate.

Yes that DAC is well known to be a really good DAC for the price. But why did you pick that one? There are hundreds of DACs out there. If you picked this one then my reasoning is that you must realize that it is better than most. Therefore there is a difference in sound.

Back