We cannot define a static IP address for the device in Wiim apps to avoid a re-discovery?

I noticed that IPv6 seems to cause problems (even if Avahi is properly configured to reflect IPv6 as well), and I'm experimenting turning off IPv6 everywhere, to see if it makes a difference. Need more tests, though
I have IPv6 disabled on the router.

When I said 'dropped packets' I meant that they were being dropped through firewall rules (originating from iot toward lan and not an established connection).
With the firewall rules in place can you log the packets that are being blocked, causing the "discovery" to fail?
Got it now, sorry.

I can only log rejected packets, not dropped, so I will have to change my settings and play with it, but need to ensure I don't break what's working for the family https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/firewall/fw3_configurations/fw3_traffic_logging

Right now, with IPv6 disabled everywhere, things seem to work. Too early to tell for sure, but that could explain why I'm having problems you and others don't have...

Right now, with IPv6 disabled everywhere, things seem to work. Too early to tell for sure, but that could explain why I'm having problems you and others don't have...
Fingers crossed!

As an update, it looks like I solved my problem and things have been working reliably for a couple of days now. I waited until things were working long enough, because in the past I had periods of working followed by refusal to work.

After trying all the mDNS reflectors/repeaters in the OpenWRt opkg repository, it looks as if there is some sort of obscure problem with Avahi 0.8-8 and the WiiM app. Everything else works with Avahi, including all apps using the WiiM Pro, just not the WiiM app. Weirdly, WiiM support blamed UPnP for my problems, but I explicitly disallow UPnP in my network environment, yet everything works now. I wish they spent a bit more time looking at the logs instead of blowing it off.

The only thing that works is the mdns-repeater app (https://openwrt.org/packages/pkgdata/mdns-repeater), it's 4 years old and not updated anymore, but it works by simply adding the below to the mdns_repeater configuration file.

With that, everything else works like before, but now the WiiM app also works. I don't have the time/skills to check how various packets are impacted by Avahi vs the mdns-repeater, so why Avahi doesn't work in my specific case but seems to work for others is going to stay a mystery. Also, Avahi seems to work for a variable amount of time if I restart the service, but that's not a long term option (it caused a lot of false hopes, though 😁. Every time I changed a setting, it worked for a while.

If anyone else sees this in the future with a discovery problem even with the Avahi redirector installed, try mdns-repeater instead. It's more lightweight than Avahi, as an added bonus for router with fewer resources than mine

Thanks to the various folks (esp @simbun) for all the suggestions.

Code:
config mdns_repeater 'main'
    list interface 'br-lan.1'
    list interface 'br-lan.101'
    list interface 'br-lan.102'

As an update, it looks like I solved my problem and things have been working reliably for a couple of days now. I waited until things were working long enough, because in the past I had periods of working followed by refusal to work.

After trying all the mDNS reflectors/repeaters in the OpenWRt opkg repository, it looks as if there is some sort of obscure problem with Avahi 0.8-8 and the WiiM app. Everything else works with Avahi, including all apps using the WiiM Pro, just not the WiiM app. Weirdly, WiiM support blamed UPnP for my problems, but I explicitly disallow UPnP in my network environment, yet everything works now. I wish they spent a bit more time looking at the logs instead of blowing it off.

The only thing that works is the mdns-repeater app (https://openwrt.org/packages/pkgdata/mdns-repeater), it's 4 years old and not updated anymore, but it works by simply adding the below to the mdns_repeater configuration file.

With that, everything else works like before, but now the WiiM app also works. I don't have the time/skills to check how various packets are impacted by Avahi vs the mdns-repeater, so why Avahi doesn't work in my specific case but seems to work for others is going to stay a mystery. Also, Avahi seems to work for a variable amount of time if I restart the service, but that's not a long term option (it caused a lot of false hopes, though 😁. Every time I changed a setting, it worked for a while.

If anyone else sees this in the future with a discovery problem even with the Avahi redirector installed, try mdns-repeater instead. It's more lightweight than Avahi, as an added bonus for router with fewer resources than mine

Thanks to the various folks (esp @simbun) for all the suggestions.

Code:
config mdns_repeater 'main'
    list interface 'br-lan.1'
    list interface 'br-lan.101'
    list interface 'br-lan.102'
I don't have a network that is at this level of complexity, but as we all seem to have to troubleshoot wifi connection issues at some point, I am curious about a couple things regarding your issue and solution - why does enabling/disabling IPV6 make a frequent difference to connectivity with the Wiim streamers? And for @robca , what exactly did Wiim suggest to you about Upnp being the problem (even though it did not appear to apply in your case)? i.e. Why/what aspect of Upnp would likely cause a connection problem. Thanks for any thots!

IPv6 or not made no difference, it was just another random dead end due to the weird interaction between Avahi and the WiiM app. Nothing else was impacted anyway.

WiiM told me to either put my phone on the IoT segment or move the WiiM Pro into the main lan. Put it another way, they did not diagnose, tried to understand or suggested anything useful. From the log they saw that the SSID name of the phone and WiiM were different, and made up some technobabble about "using UPnP", which is not the case unless you consider something like http://192.168.10.170:49152/upnp/control/rendertransport1 to be UPnP.... but that is just a control point, and requires no special consideration at the router/switch level: just the IP being reachable with a TCP packet. WiiM does not use the problematic part of UPnP, discovery and ability to punch thru firewalls (and the only parts that require specific router configuration)

The official answer is that they require the devices to be on the same wifi SSID, which is technically inaccurate not to mention a real issue for anyone with a big enough house and in need of more than one access point. I can understand trying to minimize their support costs, but frankly I was disappointed not as much by their unwillingness to help, but by the misleading answer just to blow me off and pretending to have looked at my logs.

As a side note, my network is not complex in any way. It's a simple wifi network with a vlan with a few traffic rules to improve security. It's something that can be done with almost any consumer router (and should be done by anyone who knows enough about IoT to know that those devices should never be on the main network). The only "difficult" part is to enable the mDNS reflector, which these days is more and more common, too, to the point that Avahi is enabled by default in most routers (with reflector disabled by default, but easy to enable)

Hola, a mí me pasaba los mismo, tengo un swicht conectado a un router que me amplía la señal en la buhardilla. El cable salía del swicht y la WiFi la daba el router, hasta que me probé sacar un cable del router y fin del problema.

Back