WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Are there any more or less concrete price predictions confirmed by WiiM? I am too lazy to recapitulate 45 pages still increasing. Or will there be a wailing and gnashing of teeth when it will be not as cheap as many think?

Are there any more or less concrete price predictions confirmed by WiiM? I am too lazy to recapitulate 45 pages still increasing. Or will there be a wailing and gnashing of teeth when it will be not as cheap as many think?
As far as I know, WiiM Support has never mentioned the price of Ultra.
Would you like to hear my predictions?
Yes, $400.

If really all this features will appear ≈ 450 €/£/$ will come near to a miracle ;-)

Last edited:
I have a WiiM Mini and, Pro Plus, but I‘d love something with a decent screen again (had a Squeezebox Touch aeons ago) - that one is much, much too small though (for me personally).

Very nice device though.
Who knows, as some have requested, maybe they could use the screen for VU meters or spectrum analyser instead of just album art. Or have an option to simply display larger text track info 🤷‍♂️

No price forecasts mentioned at all by WiiM, so any figure quoted in this thread is entirely speculative.

Who knows, as some have requested, maybe they could use the screen for VU meters or spectrum analyser instead of just album art. Or have an option to simply display larger text track info 🤷‍♂️
They can use the RME ADI-2 DAC as a reference for a highly useful display, and perhaps use the HDMI output for the artwork and song metadata to drive a display of our choice.

P1278739.jpg

I agree. I rather have better hardware than a tiny little screen.
Who knows, maybe the screen could be used to display the track info in a large font rather than album artwork. That’s what my Linn amp does and it can be handy to check what’s playing, its resolution etc without an album cover.

Last edited:
My DSP wish list for the Ultra if it's a pre-amp:
- 10 band EQ to tailor the sound to my likening
- 10 band PEQ for room modes
- Bass management for subwoofer use
- Loudness control for low level listening

Who knows, maybe the screen could be used to display the track info in a large font rather than album artwork. That’s what my Linn amo does and it can be handy to check what’s playing, its resolution etc without an album cover.
Yes, with the remote control and it's preset functions, I often don't bother reaching for my phone.
A screen would be handy when choosing what to listen to.

So the Ultra is a mix of current streamers and the Amp, but with a display instead of the amplifier module. And no XLRs unfortunately :(

If really all this features will appear ≈ 450 €/£/$ will come near to a miracle ;-)

It would be ironic that a product primarily requested by Pro users to include a USB port will be passed by those customers who see no justification to pay much more than the Pro price (US$150) for a product with that extra feature.

I guess it will make sense to those that have active speakers or a power amp only or a turntable

Balanced output would've been nice because I'd use it, but not a deal breaker for me.
I'm hoping for the same or better AKM dac as the Pro Plus and not ESS, with 2 or 3 input selectable 10 band PEQ's, and a very good room correction system.
So great dac, more PEQ, and room correction, and it's supposed to have all 3 right?
Are they going to upgrade the Pro Plus to have more PEQ's and room correction?

How beneficial would XLRs have been in your opinion/ experience?

I have ground loop issues with my current equipment and DAC. Like trying to get rid of turntable hum back in the day. Any new equipment(DAC/Preamp/Amplifier etc.) I get will be balanced. I see it as another tool to help resolve technical issues. Also, XLR jacks and plugs are mechanically better than RCA connectors. Just a better way to do it.

Back