WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Look if this is coming in under 500, with pre-amp functionality, bass management, improved DAC, room correction, streaming and a touchscreen it’s a value that can’t be matched by any other product on the market.
500 is high knowing it’s similar to amp without amp and few additional connections. Just the added screen and maybe little better dac doesn’t call in for additional 200 on top of amp cost.

500 is high knowing it’s similar to amp without amp and few additional connections. Just the added screen and maybe little better dac doesn’t call in for additional 200 on top of amp cost.

It depends on the internals. If quality components have been used..

Looks like the same size/shape as the Wiim amp. Since I already have the Wiim amp, it would be great if Wiim came up with a way to connect the two together to use the Wiim Ultra as the DAC and the Wiim Amp as the amplifier (without going through the DAC or ADC of the Wiim AMP). Would make a nice looking stack.

Balanced connections have much higher common mode noise suppression and are giving a flexibility in handling with ground loops. And XLRs have no "hot first" issue of RCA plugs.
RCAs should die long time ago imo.
Mostly agree. I don't think common mode noise rejection is a big issue for home user but better to have it than not. And not all balanced is differential.

Last edited:
I hope it doesn’t look like that in final product. Most turntables have a spade shaped end on the ground lead that needs a suitable peg.
Yeah, it's probably just because it's a rendering. Final product will no doubt have a screw.

We’re all wondering if ultra will use ess or akm. The only thing that will benefits me on ultra is that I will able to use my mono block amp.

Mostly agree. I don't think common mode noise rejection is a big issue for home user but better to have it than not. And not all balanced is differential.
Well, having a high CMRR is the feature of balanced connections. Differential signalling is not relevant here.

it's quite surprising...
but still, often, this way of emphatically listing the list of functions, while it seems to me, the question is to know if they are qualitative...

wait and see-head
;-)
(honestly at least the "pro plus" model, we could have hoped for symmetrical, at least in jack...so...):(

Last edited:
@WiiM Team great news on the Ultra!

Whilst the team is still developing the new product. Can you please earnestly consider the following if you haven't already done so?

-Implement a low latency kernel.
-Keep iterrupts to an absolute minimum.
-Disable system services for the various music services when toggled off under the GUI.

Thank you for the consideration!

I am not comparing it to the Wiim Amp. I am saying name another company making a comparable product anywhere under let’s say $800. I can’t think of a single two channel preamp/dac/streamer that checks all those boxes.

I am not comparing it to the Wiim Amp. I am saying name another company making a comparable product anywhere under let’s say $800. I can’t think of a single two channel preamp/dac/streamer that checks all those boxes.

It’s a streamer and nothing more. The add-on freebies are there for the ride and are below average. YMMV, of course.

The ground is for turntable use
Turntable with integrated amp: Ground to power amp or integrated amp
Turntable and phono amp: Ground to phono amp
Ground from Ultra: Ground to power amp or integrated amp
Ground from a turntable to a streamer: ?
I guess the reason for this connection are a few silly experiences with the recumbent eight and the WiiM Amp.

Last edited:
Just getting aware that there are users which want to bring their turntables in the WiiM system for multiroom or things like that. May be for those the ground in the Ultra is helpful. Sometimes it might be good for me to look outside my box before posting ;-)

Back