WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Just think back a few short months to the launch of the WiiM Amp.

Universally acclaimed across the hi-fi world by objectivists (Amir at ASR, Erin at Audio corner) and subjectivists (Darko, Randy the Cheap Audio Man) - and how often do we get that level of unanimity - as an absolute game changer for the whole audio industry.

One small caveat about the amp section.

How the hell is this going to go down? BTW, have you seen the reviews (again objectivist and subjectivist) of the new Fosi Audio V3 mono blocks? I think we’re going to see set up after set up of this combination.

The world of hi-fi turned on its head.

I think when you talk about specs..wiim knows what they are doing.
Look at the price point af there products and what they are offering in that price range..other products would cost way more.
It's not only about specs..look at the support and the app it's also important.
One could look at the dac and so on but in the end it's how a device sounds.... ,the options of such a device available,the support.. and so on.

The ultra will be a great product Im sure of it..

I would personally easily fork over £1000, or perhaps more, for a product as long as said product offers better value than others.

Wiim has nailed the functionality, the streaming and the support categories.
Only lacking slightly in build and perhaps higher end power and parts.
Though they've always been way cheaper than the closest competitors.

Where I'm from, you can't usually get fosi, topping, fiio, or other such brands, leaving the bluesound powernode as the only competitor for the wiim amp.
And that is an £800 product here, with the wiim amp sitting at £320.

I'd happily get the wiim over the powernode, even if they were at the same price point.

If the ultra offers the same bang for your buck, it doesn't need to have all the most expensive features, it just needs to be competitive.

I would personally easily fork over £1000, or perhaps more, for a product as long as said product offers better value than others.

Wiim has nailed the functionality, the streaming and the support categories.
Only lacking slightly in build and perhaps higher end power and parts.
Though they've always been way cheaper than the closest competitors.

Where I'm from, you can't usually get fosi, topping, fiio, or other such brands, leaving the bluesound powernode as the only competitor for the wiim amp.
And that is an £800 product here, with the wiim amp sitting at £320.

I'd happily get the wiim over the powernode, even if they were at the same price point.

If the ultra offers the same bang for your buck, it doesn't need to have all the most expensive features, it just needs to be competitive.

I’d be genuinely interested to hear what features people would like, and which are on other high end devices, which are not on the Ultra.

For me it's only balanced outputs at this point

Yup. If you want to push me, maybe a coax input too.

Maybe 2 sub outs.

Maybe stereo PEQ/room correction, though I’d note the text of what we’ve said says ‘advanced room correction’, so who knows.

Maybe dedicated calibration mic to hook up to the USB input (still possible this will come with one, or be able to be upgraded to one).

And I’m really stretching now.

Last edited:
Maybe if you look at the pictures of the Ultra it's good as it is.
A great device with lots of possibilities..

In the hardware section we can trust wiim and certainly also on the software , support side. Both very important.

Last edited:
on the other hand we are here on the "wiim" forum...
a bit normal I imagine being a bit irrational, dithyrambs etc even a bit of bad faith, etc .... hihi

sprinkled with asr mantra.. and wow....
🤩🤩
;-))

So much looking forward to the new Ultra, it has almost everything I want (need), optical- and HDMI input, USB- and optical output. A second HDMI and/or optical input would have been welcome in my case, but is no dealbreaker to me.
Together with the very useful app, including EQ and PEQ makes it almost surely my next streamer.
Now the question is, when will it be available for purchase in Europe? Patience is a virtue.

For me it's only balanced outputs at this point
Absolutely agree on this, very disappointed if no balanced outs or AES dig in/out (to drive fully active speakers only with AES input). A major missed opportunity here @WiiM Support @WiiM Team

Without the above mentioned capability, this is certainly not an “Ultra” level product IMHO and I will have no choice but to go with one of your competitors (and yes, I know I will pay more).

Also the screen smaller than I expected, was looking forward to some dual “virtual” VU meters :)

Signed “A now disappointed current user of the Wiim Pro” :(

Last edited:
Absolutely agree on this, very disappointed if no balanced outs or AES dig in/out (to drive fully active speakers only with AES input). A major missed opportunity here @WiiM Support.

Without the above mentioned capability, this is certainly not an “Ultra” level product IMHO and I will have no choice but to go with one of your competitors (and yes, I know I will pay more).

Also the screen smaller than I expected, was looking forward to some dual VU meters :)

Signed “A now disappointed current user of the Wiim Pro” :(
switching from spdif to aes is not that complicated or delicate...the solutions are found quite easily
,-)

Reactions: RKM
switching from spdif to aes is not that complicated or delicate...the solutions are found quite easily
,-)
Sure, but why not just include the capability in the unit to begin with if it is “so easy”?

Back