WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I don't know, I just say that someone is wrong when I think that he is wrong. You can tell it about me as well, I will just ask you to prove that I'm wrong.
You have decided what I think and then proclaimed I am wrong, that is not proving anything.

It's good enough in common situations, although there is a room for improvements.
No. Your "shape of signal" thing is nonsense. It absolutely doesn't matter as long as the voltage transitions are within specs. The end result as decoded by your DAC will be identical. As for Jitter is almost always entirely irrelevant at those frequencies, I think the whole Jitter story was invented by the snake oil merchants trying to sell you $10000 CD transports :) There is nothing for WiiM to "improve" in digital signal quality that will result in an audible difference at this point.

No. Your "shape of signal" thing is nonsense. It absolutely doesn't matter as long as the voltage transitions are within specs. The end result as decoded by your DAC will be identical. As for Jitter is almost always entirely irrelevant at those frequencies, I think the whole Jitter story was invented by the snake oil merchants trying to sell you $10000 CD transports :) There is nothing for WiiM to "improve" in digital signal quality that will result in an audible difference at this point.
So much this, I have a cd player from the 1980s that cost I think me I think $100, might be less, and the digital output on it is perfect.

Good morning, gentlemen.
Let's agree that designing and manufacturing a Swiss army knife that adapts to each of the needs of each user is impossible (Mr. EE, I completely agree). Personally, I believe that the particularities should be put aside and the general characteristics and comprehensive design of the product should be evaluated. Also, keep in mind that the photos are promotional (as is done in almost any other marketing department). I also don't think this product is aimed at the audiophile segment. They consider that a high price is also part of the quality and exclusivity of the product. Rather, I understand that this is aimed at people like us who appreciate music and listen to it in a decent way. That's why predicting a sale price seems very random to me. It must be taken into account that although a screen was added, the amplification stage was also removed (I strongly agree with Smart Plug and Matterhorn, the price is mandatory). In my opinion, the price should not differ with the WiiM Amp. Let's hope LinkPlay continues to target the same market segment.
Having said all this, I just subscribed to the Kickstarter for V3 mono (48v 10A) and I am happy to apply again as a Latam beta tester for the WiiM Ultra! @WiiM Team @WiiM Support

I would not hessitate to hit the Kickstarter button on the V3 Mono, if it weren't for the possibility of us seeing a V3 Version 2 Stereo amp, offering the functionality of the Mono in one enclosure - something that Matt Coykendall more than hints at at the end of this video. That would truly be the perfect companion for the Ultra. Unless of course Wiim is to also release an AMP Pro. We will see May 9.

I would not hessitate to hit the Kickstarter button on the V3 Mono, if it weren't for the possibility of us seeing a V3 Version 2 Stereo amp, offering the functionality of the Mono in one enclosure - something that Matt Coykendall more than hints at at the end of this video. That would truly be the perfect companion for the Ultra. Unless of course Wiim is to also release an AMP Pro. We will see May 9.

I think, looking at the specs of previous models, and the new monos, you might be well served by the Topping PA5 II, or PA5 II Plus.

What's interesting about the Ultra's screen is whether it simply displays data received from the network or whether it has built-in software like the WiiM home lite app.

In the latter case, this means that it expands the functionality of the WiiM remote, and has a setting menu similar to that of WiiM home, in addition to 12 preset selections and output switching.

Also, the screen size is probably around 4 inches, which is quite large for a device like this. I'm sitting 2 meters away from the WiiM amp, but it's visibility enough. 🙂

I've seen a lot of videos about this amp, and pairing with an ultra is an exciting option. However not many people have talked in simple direct terms about it sounds. I appreciate asking youtubers to talk about sound quality without using a word salad isn't realistic, but when you're buying an amp blind, some words that make sense with regards to the tonality and sound quality would go a long way.

I've seen a lot of videos about this amp, and pairing with an ultra is an exciting option. However not many people have talked in simple direct terms about it sounds. I appreciate asking youtubers to talk about sound quality without using a word salad isn't realistic, but when you're buying an amp blind, some words that make sense with regards to the tonality and sound quality would go a long way.
Right now both the Ultra and the Fosi aren't on the market yet. So we will just have to wait. I would still use a dedicated pre-amp between a streamer and a power amp though.

Right now both the Ultra and the Fosi aren't on the market yet. So we will just have to wait. I would still use a dedicated pre-amp between a streamer and a power amp though.
Simplicity in this space is certainly not easy to achieve. I started out wanting a sleek setup with just a power amp (stereo) and the Ultra. Now I am being told that I need to add yet another box in between my power amp(s) and the Ultra 🤣

Simplicity in this space is certainly not easy to achieve. I started out wanting a sleek setup with just a power amp (stereo) and the Ultra. Now I am being told that I need to add yet another box in between my power amp(s) and the Ultra 🤣
You could get an integrated instead, or active speakers. Then you would have even less boxes

Why would you need a preamp for a device with a built-in phono preamp?

It should be either - the amp for example can support attached drives and has an update coming to enable usb audio out, so the Ultra will be the same.
Really?
If the Amp will get an update to enable the USB out, then the lack of XLRs on Ultra/Amp wouldn't matter at all:
Amp->usb out->external dac->XLR out->external power amp
Just saying...

Back