Burn In - Pro Plus

There are actually good reasons to believe in this burn-in theory. I recommend burning in for *at least* 5000 hours before coming to any conclusions or making any other changes which might alter your system and destabilise the burn-in patterns. That should ensure you don't waste money purchasing mythical products or upgrades that make no sonic difference for a good long time :)
Is your name Russel or Teapot? :D

There are actually good reasons to believe in this burn-in theory. I recommend burning in for *at least* 5000 hours before coming to any conclusions or making any other changes which might alter your system and destabilise the burn-in patterns. That should ensure you don't waste money purchasing mythical products or upgrades that make no sonic difference for a good long time :)

Is that method effective for me?
I can't stop shopping a new WiiM every time it's released.

Screenshot_2024-05-02-23-15-40-656_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Why they do not exist? It shouldn't be difficult, for example capture twice the output when device is new, and again after few days/weeks/months, then the comparison and looking for differences which can prove something.
If I remember correctly some work has been done in measuring the subatomic changes in conductors/dielectrics after currents have been flowing through them. If I find it again I'll post it here. But it makes sense that these physical changes can cause conductors to change in behaviour over time (albeit in a subtle manner) even using traditional cable metrics - inductance, capacitance, impedance...

In the mean time, here's a snake oil salesman to explain the concept as it applies to power cables. 😉 Full video is worth a watch!!

Similarly crystal oscillators also can have an adjustment period because the crystals physically change shape during their normal functioning, and so it's similar to a break-in of your speaker drivers...

I'm not sure why but people seem to forget that there are still physical and chemical processes underlying all of our electronics. 🤔

Last edited:
If I remember correctly some work has been done in measuring the subatomic changes in conductors/dielectrics after currents have been flowing through them. If I find it again I'll post it here. But it makes sense that these physical changes can cause conductors to change in behaviour over time (albeit in a subtle manner) even using traditional cable metrics - inductance, capacitance, impedance...
Yes, there can be measurable changes in capacitors with burn in. But fortunately that burn in just takes fractions of, or a small number of, seconds so it happens straight away at first use without anything special being done :)

No need burn is needed since I only use Chromecast in and TOSLINK out. I already played more than 100 hours so it doesn't matter.

Back