Casting with Chromecast versus Wiim app.

audiobliss

Major Contributor
I tried Chromecast to cast to my Pro for the first time today using the Amazon app.
All the supposedly UltraHD tracks only displayed 44.1k on my dac, as opposed to 96k or 192k when I use the Wiim app.
I have the highest quality settings selected on the Amazon app, but the app only shows HD for whatever it plays.
So I guess I will just stick with the Wiim App, although the 44.1 still sounds good.
Any ideas.

Link Alexa as a source in the Wiim app and then use Alexa cast from the Amazon music app to send the full quality files.

I tried Chromecast to cast to my Pro for the first time today using the Amazon app.
All the supposedly UltraHD tracks only displayed 44.1k on my dac, as opposed to 96k or 192k when I use the Wiim app.
I have the highest quality settings selected on the Amazon app, but the app only shows HD for whatever it plays.
So I guess I will just stick with the Wiim App, although the 44.1 still sounds good.
Any ideas.
The Amazon Music app doesn't support ChromeCast beyond HD 16/44.1. Either use AlexaCast (if available in your region) by linking your WiiM Home app to your Amazon account under the Alexa section of the WiiM Home app, or use Amazon Music from within the WiiM Home app itself.

On a sort of related note (well, it matches the thread title, if not the amazon specific question within), I note that the latest Tidal app update says it now supports hi res flac over chromecast.
No idea whether it's capped at 96 like qobuz, and I don't have tidal plus to test it.
Oh, and bubble upnp now supports hi res flac too.

Guess that's instead of Tidal Connect for devices that don't support that? Does the WiiM Pro/Plus/Amp appear twice as a target then, one Connect and one ChromeCast, much like the Amazon Music app?

I "borrowed" a Tidal login and yes, it works and there are still two entries. Cast and Chromecast.

IMG_2082.jpeg

Does the WiiM Pro/Plus/Amp appear twice as a target then, one Connect and one ChromeCast, much like the Amazon Music app?
In the Tidal app for a wiim? No, you still only get one choice, being tidal connect if that's working, or chromecast if, for some raeason, it's not.
In bubble for a wiim you always had two options for a pro (if chromecast enabled) - upnp and chromecast.

The Amazon Music app doesn't support ChromeCast beyond HD 16/44.1.
Not only that, but the original Chromecast audio only supports 96 kHz - not sure if the protocol supports 192 kHz.
Also, there is no provision for gapless playback with Chromecast audio playback (except with Roon, I don't know how they got this to work).
Best to use the WiiM app and enjoy 192 kHz gapless playback.

(except with Roon, I don't know how they got this to work)
I understand that Roon proxies/plays and sends a continuous stream, rather than the separate tracks.

The Chromecast Bridge plugin in Logitech Media Server also supports this method using transcoding with the "flow" processing mode.

Transcode
  • In this mode, the tracks are decoded and resampled (if needed) by the bridge and either sent as uncompressed PCM or re-encoded using flac or mp3
  • This mode provides much better compatibility as the same format is sent to the ChromeCast player all the time
  • Replay gain, fade in/out/in-out are supported
  • Supported codecs are ogg,mp3,aac,flac,pcm
  • There is a special option named "flow" to send all the tracks as a long single stream to enable true gapless and crossfade (you'll lose metadata display on the ChromeCast player)

FYI the LMS Chromecast plugin supports up to 192KHz so this must be supported by some devices, I've seen conflicting reports on the CCA regarding whether it is limited to 96 or 192KHz.

Last edited:
Any ideas.
If i remember well, it's a limit imposed by Amazon. Same thing with Qobuz. If you use Qobuz's native App you are limited to 24/96 and no gapless.
If you use Bubble you have 24/192 and gapless

Back