DAX and Filters - PCM & Others

Maurizio

Major Contributor
In the thread about WiiM Pro+ jumped out the question about PCM’s filters.
Result was that many of us don’t perceive any audible difference changing filter. If someone has something to add this could be the right place ;)
While we're at it, I have another question. Many SMSL DAXs have an additional set of "filters" called Sound Color Precisely :
Standard - No Color
Rich x 3
Tube x 3
Crystal x 3
In my opinion here the difference, very subtle, is however perceptible by ear.
What do you think about it? Do you use these Sound Color filters? Which? Which is the best in your experience?
I'm curious to hear comments and impressions which, of course, will be personal. None better than the other.
Everyone feels in his way and has his own tastes ;)

These "effects" add different levels of harmonics:

These "effects" add different levels of harmonics:

Thx, me too i have that article and luckily in english. Tomorrow i will link it ;)
Interesting article, but i would have impressions from real life or..listening.

Same article in english

I've got an smsl su-9, with all those options.
Tried all the filters and colours, but not all combinations!
Maybe I was expecting an immediate and obvious difference. Most likely I was too impatient, and didn't spent enough time actually listening to a number of different tracks, or living with each config for a period of time.
I'd have to check to see what I left it on, as they all sounded the same with such a cursory listen.

I've got an smsl su-9, with all those options.
Tried all the filters and colours, but not all combinations!
Maybe I was expecting an immediate and obvious difference. Most likely I was too impatient, and didn't spent enough time actually listening to a number of different tracks, or living with each config for a period of time.
I'd have to check to see what I left it on, as they all sounded the same with such a cursory listen.
Well, i'll tell my opinion. I have a SMSL 500 MKIII. I think it can be comparable to SU-9.
In the case of the Sound Colors the differences, in my opinion, are audible. Mind you, they are very thin, they don't distort anything. Nothing comparable to a tone control or an equalization.
Rather, they slightly accentuate one type of sound. I use Standard, of course, and Clear 1. This last, for me, is good to makes sounds like cymbals and hi-hat drums a little more audible, Just a bit more in evidence. I have chosen Clear 1 so as not to increase the intervention too much. With 2 and 3 I have the impression that other instruments are also affected, and i don't like this .
Let me know your impressions if you will do some more tests ;)

Sorry, @Maurizio. I do not know where I can place this interesting video better.
Ex ante, because I can predict the mocking returns from the OAs.
I know that JD is one of many reviewers who earns good money with such videos.
Nevertheless, even if he normally gives a sh... for measurements, he has an incredible look on and experience with so much items. Because he gets it if he wants. Big advantage in relation to the small focus most of us have.
Of course I only share this video because he has the same opinion about the importance of a DAC related to amps and speakers as me: It is homeopathically small 😂

Last edited:
Sorry, @Maurizio. I do not know where I can place this interesting video better.
Ex ante, because I can predict the mocking returns from the OAs.
I know that JD is one of many reviewers who earns good money with such videos.
Nevertheless, even if he normally gives a sh... for measurements, he has an incredible look on and experience with so much items. Because he gets it if he wants. Big advantage in relation to the small focus most of us have.
Of course I only share this video because he has the same opinion about the importance of a DAC related to amps and speakers as me: It is homeopathically small 😂

Thx, but…..do you never change? 😂 😂 😂 😂

DACs? Not very often, most of the DACs in use are internal ones. The Cambridge is the exception from the rule. 😇

I think that anything other than speakers and their relationship with room, position and reflections, could fall at various level, in the homeopathic range.
At least, filters response can be easily measured and theoretically best set up found.
Instead I'm amused by miracle power cords impressions made by someone, especially in bare rooms. Once theirs RLC equivalent network are as required, nothing more is needed...

Back