Integrating Music Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiiM Team

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, we'd like to see what music services you want integrated into our WiiM Home app.

Please note, we hear you on Apple Music and YouTube Music as those are two we would love to integrate, but aside from these two, please post which ones you'd like to see and please vote up the ones you want. We are curious about what our community wants, and we'll see what we can do!

--
2/13/24 - We closed this thread and want to move the conversation to this thread where there is a poll. https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/integrating-music-services-poll.2816/

Thanks!
WiiM Team

Last edited:
Hi, we'd like to see what music services you want integrated into our WiiM Home app.

Please note, we hear you on Apple Music and YouTube Music as those are two we would love to integrate, but aside from these two, please post which ones you'd like to see and please vote up the ones you want. We are curious about what our community wants, and we'll see what we can do!
Bandcamp !

Probably posting this in the wrong place but I have been playing around with Plexamp as it is Apple CarPlay capable. Does anyone know how it works from a security viewpoint? Google is surprisingly quiet on the subject.

@d6jg, Doesn't it relay through the Plex servers? I thought they limited your bandwidth based on your membership. I'll try and find a link.

I found this:

Last edited:
Doesn't it relay through the Plex servers? I thought they limited your bandwidth based on your membership. I'll try and find a link.

I found this:
Plexamp client seems to be different to the Plex client in this respect and I don’t think it uses this mechanism at all.

Inside the Plexamp app you can set bandwidth usage from 128kbps upward. Given road noise etc 320kbps is more than adequate for me.

BTW the UPnP/DLNA interface in Plex is very basic. I’d say unusable. Plexamp is better which I guess is why people want WiiM to incorporate it as an Endpoint. There is a Raspberry Pi endpoint image but I imagine it’s too large to accommodate along with Roon, Squeezelite etc

Plexamp client seems to be different to the Plex client in this respect and I don’t think it uses this mechanism at all.

Inside the Plexamp app you can set bandwidth usage from 128kbps upward. Given road noise etc 320kbps is more than adequate for me.
Unless you're connecting directly (port forwarding) then it has to be using some kind of relay. I'd be surprised if they use a different tech for each.
The bandwidth specified in the app will be so you can limit the data further, maybe because you have poor reception.
Wil have a dig

Unless you're connecting directly (port forwarding) then it has to be using some kind of relay. I'd be surprised if they use a different tech for each.
The bandwidth specified in the app will be so you can limit the data further, maybe because you have poor reception.
Wil have a dig
It must relay yes but don’t think I left Remote Access switched on. I’ll need to check.

BTW the UPnP/DLNA interface in Plex is very basic. I’d say unusable. Plexamp is better which I guess is why people want WiiM to incorporate it as an Endpoint. There is a Raspberry Pi endpoint image but I imagine it’s too large to accommodate along with Roon, Squeezelite etc
I on the other hand assume that they will be incorporating the PlexAmp client (endpoint) as it'd be madness to build a UI just for Plex :)
Having said that, Plex have some shady deal with Sonos so this could be another.

I on the other hand assume that they will be incorporating the PlexAmp client (endpoint) as it'd be madness to build a UI just for Plex :)
Having said that, Plex have some shady deal with Sonos so this could be another.
Remote Access is indeed off.
PlexAmp seemingly doesn’t need it.

They wouldn’t need a UI the Plexamp app can act as a controller for another device like Spotify does. It already supports Bluetooth, Airplay and Chromecast.

They wouldn’t need a UI the Plexamp app can act as a controller for another device like Spotify does. It already supports Bluetooth, Airplay and Chromecast.
I think I misunderstood your rpi comment. I guess you meant that whilst the rpi mage won't fit on the WiiM they'll come up with another way?

Endpoint = Yes
UI in WiiM app = No

I think I misunderstood your rpi comment. I guess you meant that whilst the rpi mage won't fit on the WiiM they'll come up with another way?

Endpoint = Yes
UI in WiiM app = No
Reading elsewhere I discovered that the player part is MPD

I'll try it tomorrow as I'm behind CGNAT, so if it works then it's going and staying through Plex.
I have seen comment that it won’t work though openwrt routers. I’m sure you are right that it must relay. I’ll have to make my password more complex - no 2FA that I’ve seen.
It is the only CarPlay client that gives me access to my library :(

Reading elsewhere I discovered that the player part is MPD
If it ain't broke.

The only thing that makes me think that there might be some further UI integration is that there's a Search bar after you've selected Plex through HMS.
Plex doesn't support UPnP search, and this doesn't appear for any of the other servers I've tested.

If it ain't broke.

The only thing that makes me think that there might be some further UI integration is that there's a Search bar after you've selected Plex through HMS.
Plex doesn't support UPnP search, and this doesn't appear for any of the other servers I've tested.
I hadn’t noticed. It’s not in mconnect which otherwise shows the same structure.

It is the only CarPlay client that gives me access to my library :(
I tried something similar with Android Auto.
Whilst BubbleUPnP doesn't work with AA the MediaMonkey app does, but the app UI and AA integration are pretty basic.

On the odd occasion that I need it I find myself downloading to the phone using. BubbleUPnP then playing to AA with Poweramp.

I hadn’t noticed. It’s not in mconnect which otherwise shows the same structure.
The server doesn't have the ability to control the UI in that way so it's bespoke functionality for Plex.

I tried something similar with Android Auto.
Whilst BubbleUPnP doesn't work with AA the MediaMonkey app does, but the app UI and AA integration are pretty basic.

On the odd occasion that I need it I find myself downloading to the phone using. BubbleUPnP then playing to AA with Poweramp.
I am spoilt by the fact that there is a superb LMS app for iOS called iPeng and it works perfectly with Tailscale so all my mysic including anything I can get via LMS eg Qobuz can accompany me while I am walking the dogs. Unfortunately it is unlikely to ever be CarPlay enabled so Plexamp seems to be my only alternative other than a USB stick.
The inbuilt media interface for the USB stick isn’t great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back