Just Delivered Amp - Ethernet Port Faulty

JohnW

Major Contributor
I bought my first Wiim Amp the other day and after trying it decided to buy another. I've just plugged the new one in and the app found new device Wiim Amp BED2?

Why would it be called BED2 at first start up. Have I been sent someone else's return?

@JohnW My WiiM Pro has a SSID which can not be changed and has nothing to do with the name I gave her. Can you check "device info" in the app to see if it is so? If it is BED2 I wouldn't worry.

My WiiM Pro has a SSID which can not be changed and has nothing to do with the name I gave her. Can you check "device info" in the app to see if it is so?
When I installed the first one, it found the Ethernet and didn't ask for WiFi. This one has had to be connected by WiFi. There's no link on my switch and I've just tested the cable and the cable is fine.

I bought my first Wiim Amp the other day and after trying it decided to buy another. I've just plugged the new one in and the app found new device Wiim Amp BED2?

Why would it be called BED2 at first start up. Have I been sent someone else's return?
I think it's the SSID assigned to your device. After the setup is complete, try checking the SSID in "device info" in the device settings.

EDIT: I was late.😭

I think it's the SSID assigned to your device. After the setup is complete, try checking the SSID in "device info" in the device settings.
You're right, just me being suspicious. Though it doesn't explain the lack of wired ethernet? The first one just chose the ethernet when it saw it. This one went straight for WiFi and there's no link on the switch (cable and switch port are fine). It's doing it's firmware update now so we'll see....

Why is there no setting anywhere in the apps device settings to force ethernet connection? I don't want it on WiFi. Thanks.

BED2 is probably the randomly generated hexadecimal value as part of the SSID/name.
Yeah we've established that - my bad. I need it on ethernet though. I can't find a setting to activate that. If it's not auto sensing then it's faulty

When I installed the first one, it found the Ethernet and didn't ask for WiFi. This one has had to be connected by WiFi. There's no link on my switch and I've just tested the cable and the cable is fine.
Then Ethernet on WiiM Amp might be broken. If it doesn’t work after resetting the device I would return it as faulty device (or contact seller).

Why is there no setting anywhere in the apps device settings to force ethernet connection? I don't want it on WiFi. Thanks.
If I remember right I asked me the same question. But after the installation was done I switched off the wifi under "network status".If that is not possible in your case that does mean there is definitively an issue with your or the WiiMs ethernet.

My WiiM Amp is connected via Ethernet and I have the option to enable or not enable WiFi in the setting “network status”.
I've got that option for my other one that is successfully connected via ethernet. This one is now on WiFi but I want it on Ethernet. The port seems to be down as there's no link but there's no option to turn WiFi off once its on

If I remember right I asked me the same question. But after the installation was done I switched off the wifi under "network status".If that is not possible in your case that does mean there is definitively an issue with your ethernet.
As I've said there is no issue with my Ethernet. Cable and switch port are fine. It looks more like the Wiim is knackered from new. That's a concern as I've just removed my 18 year old Sonos thats never missed a beat

As I've said there is no issue with my Ethernet. Cable and switch port are fine. It looks more like the Wiim is knackered from new. That's a concern as I've just removed my 18 year old Sonos thats never missed a beat
Ok, no more ideas from here. I would suggest what @Brantome normally does. Submit a ticket via the app and let WiiM have a look on the log.

Are your wired switch port and WiFi given DHCP addresses in the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x/24)? If they're in different subnets, they won't talk together.

Are your wired switch port and WiFi given DHCP addresses in the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x/24)? If they're in different subnets, they won't talk together.
Everythings on one flat network. The ethernet on the device is faulty. Cable is fine (I've tested it) and I've tried multiple switch ports and can't even get a link light

Everythings on one flat network. The ethernet on the device is faulty. Cable is fine (I've tested it) and I've tried multiple switch ports and can't even get a link light
Make sure the LAN cable is fully inserted into the socket and try rebooting both the router and the WiiM.

OK what I've done so far:
  1. Lost my s**t
  2. Submitted a ticket as I thought it was second hand (BED2 sounding like Bedroom 2 rather than hex - doh)
  3. I've checked the cable with my tester all pins connected straight through (it was previously used by a Sonos Amp)
  4. Checked the ethernet switch port with another device - it's fine
  5. Full reset on the unit by pressing and holding the control button until I got the voice confirmation.
  6. Lost my s**t a second time when Amazon sends me around in a webpage loop saying it's unreturnable? It's DOA and they won't take it back!
  7. Finally spoke to Amazon by phone and lost my s**t a third time (you would think that by the age of 53 I'd calm down to protect my health but the toys still get thrown out of the pram)

If it’s been bought from Amazon via the WiiM Store, then Amazon only ship it, they’re not the seller so I guess that’s why they’re saying it’s not returnable - not returnable to them, but hopefully to WiiM. Actually, their product page says “Eligible for Return, Refund or Replacement within 30 days of receipt”…

Initial recourse is normally thru messaging the third party seller on Amazon and I’m surprised the webpage didn’t lead you thru that. It’s maybe worth another try.

Notwithstanding that, hopefully WiiM have picked up your ticket and will get in touch. It might be worthwhile updating the ticket with your order details. If you send me the ticket number, I’ll try and escalate it to WiiM on your behalf.

Back