My WiiM Pro Plus 2nd sample test

Main post updated.

And something quite interesting, I think. getStatusEx method of http api returns "PCB_version": "3" for the new unit. For the old one it's "PCB_version": "2".

This is good news. It must be remembered that the new version of the PCB does not only solve the problem with low tones that we wrote about earlier. There are other fixes, improvements, etc. This means that Wiim is actively working on its hardware. Thanks to them for this!

As you can see I finally got the second sample of the Pro Plus with promised improvements of measurements, especially in low frequencies. Time to find out what has changed.

I will use mostly the same gear as before. The biggest change is an introduction of the Cosmos Scaler, a buffer with variable gain to help get more precise results in stepped measurements. And to attenuate the impact of ESS hump for ADC Cosmos.

My methodology will differ a bit. This time I'm gonna use also DeltaWave software to investigate an impact of different interconnect cables as well as power sources.

At the moment just one graph to show distortions vs frequency for -3 dBFS sweep signal:

View attachment 2644

As both units behave very similar in many aspects (for example output voltage levels) I will focus on differences only.
Both units were powered by Allo Nirvana SMPS unless otherwise noted.

I suggest to look here for details on previous measurements of the first unit:

FFT single measurements

Visible advantage in multitone measurement:
View attachment 2652

Reduced second harmonics level gives slightly better results with 1 kHz sine wave:
View attachment 2654

SINAD increases by 3 dB from 112.8 to 115.8. Dynamic range keeps the same level in range 118.8 - 119 dB.

As improvements are mainly for low frequencies, differences are clearly visible in the SMPTE test for IMD / low frequency distortions:
View attachment 2655

IMD reduced from -93,8 dB to -105.6 dB. TD+N reduced from -99.8 dB to -112 dB.

Stay tuned.
thanks! and I know this is just the beginning!
(will be interesting to see if there is an impact of the power supply choices in this case... impact of a bad power supply with a very good one..)
;-)

(ps... I imagine that all this will now be included in the data of the DAC machines that we come across with this chip akm-approach... so more interesting for me is if you have the opportunity to compare with somes external DACs. ..subjectively.. yes , true... ;-) )

Last edited:
They never got into the details of what was changed, right? A better oscillator, or voltage regulator, or opamp, etc?
And, there are plenty of Wiim Mini and Pro internals (PCB) photos on the web, but none for the Plus analog board, let alone Plus V2…

I wouldn't ask, but a few days ago there was a link to "getStatusEx method of http", but it's gone...
It's moved here:

I've added a note to the stepped measurements in the main post. As the behavior is different on 1V rms output, it's possible that the current behavior on 2V rms output is not intentional.

I've added a note to the stepped measurements in the main post. As the behavior is different on 1V rms output, it's possible that the current behavior on 2V rms output is not intentional.
What do you mean by saying the behaviour is not intentional at 2v rms?

Back