Popping/clicking when switching tracks

AdieH

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian

thought i'd said to you never to reply to me again unless you've something constructive to say.

i'm not replying to you. i'm in a conversation with someone else. so off you pop. and seriously stop replying to me.

for the avoidance of doubt and for all on here: i'm more than happy to share my experiences with those who've been on a similar journey and more than happy to monitor from this day forth, if the wiim guys fix the issues raised by those on here. i've no skin in this game.
i've now "ignored" accounts who are being ostensibly and unnecessarily rude. be better.

thought i'd said to you never to reply to me again unless you've something constructive to say.

i'm not replying to you. i'm in a conversation with someone else. so off you pop. and seriously stop replying to me.

for the avoidance of doubt and for all on here: i'm more than happy to share my experiences with those who've been on a similar journey and more than happy to monitor from this day forth, if the wiim guys fix the issues raised by those on here. i've no skin in this game.
This is a discussion forum and anyone is free to respond to any comment. Your previous comments are still available and everyone can read about your experience with WiiM - it didn't work for you and you've returned the unit. It doesn't need constant repetition nor embellishment.

This constant bickering is getting tiresome - please desist.

This is a discussion forum and anyone is free to respond to any comment. Your previous comments are still available and everyone can read about your experience with WiiM - it didn't work for you and you've returned the unit. It doesn't need constant repetition nor embellishment.

This constant bickering is getting tiresome - please desist.
i'm discussing the end to end experience. as others have. i think thats important.

those who've parted with money need a sense if it will ultimately work for them. raising tickets that are responded to in kind within 24hrs, but little to no project management thereafter needs highlighting.

i was asked by wiim why i called them out and this goes toward that.

i'm discussing the end to end experience. as others have. i think thats important.

those who've parted with money need a sense if it will ultimately work for them. raising tickets that are responded to in kind within 24hrs, but little to no project management thereafter needs highlighting.

i was asked by wiim why i called them out and this goes toward that.
As I said, you've made your point on more than one occasion and constant repetition only weakens it.

As I said, you've made your point on more than one occasion and constant repetition only weakens it.
and until yesterday i remained largely quiet whilst trying to resolve on the ticket to no
luck. it was wiim who asked me to explain and others started replying. i'm not responsible for their actions.

you may say it weakens the argument, but when customers are seeing intransigence on their tckets and come back on here to update the community, i happen to disagree.

if more people did it, they may see more resource applied, more transparency and increased resolution.

There are issue that are being reported here every now and then but we need to understand some issue are difficult to fix and takes some extended time to get it fix. There’s no magic formula that it can be fix overnight. All we can do is wait but if can’t tolerate of waiting you did the right thing that you return and purchase a device that suite your need.

There are issue that are being reported here every now and then but we need to understand some issue are difficult to fix and takes some extended time to get it fix. There’s no magic formula that it can be fix overnight. All we can do is wait but if can’t tolerate of waiting you did the right thing that you return and purchase a device that suite your need.
thank you for your measured and adult response.

The next streamer that I could think of would be nad cs1 followed by node. Try to order those and like any vendors there’s a window return policy. Let us know if those product are good on their asking price.

The next streamer that I could think of would be nad cs1 followed by node. Try to order those and like any vendors there’s a window return policy. Let us know if those product are good on their asking price.
thanks. i'll be once again be taking a wider look and will review those you've mentioned, but not least i'll also be contacting the vendors before purchase, to ensure they will behave in the way i need.

i don't happen to think a basic streamer, no dac / basic onboard dac should be anymore than £200 and that would require it to be super robust. as i mentioned i paid £70 for an airport express some 20 years ago. its served me incredibly well and its main function wasn't even a streamer it was an access point.

what we come to see today with streamers in an audiophile environment, is an excessive price margin for no justifiable reason. it's important for the makers of wiim to show the big boys they can do it and pull customers to them.

you know i've auditoned hundreds of pieces of audio kit and expensive too. including all manner of cables in my 50years. i've been fortunate to be able to do that at home, where it matters. so i've only purchased what made sense too me. what i felt was my sound. some speaker cables made a world of difference some hyperbole.

the key is, keep moving forward. i'll stay on this forum, my tickets remain open and if wiim can tick my boxes without upsetting everyone elses i may come back and take a look. there's no rush. all my listening is 44.1/16bit and i've a decent solution already in my a.e.

i'm not 100% convinced of higher sampling rates for legacy material as it really depends on the masters and remastering and engineering process. for the most part i've a fairly good vinyl set up and i enjoy that format more, which ironically is quite the opposite to streaming.

I don't have static noise and clicking in my setup with today new firmware,also i scrolled in songs and it's silent,i streaming from server...

Last edited:
thats good to hear. is your dac locked with no airplay signal or straight after it boots up ?
I streaming from server only and i use net radio,sometimes i use Spotify, I don't use Bluetooth,Airplay and another service so i really can't tell you nothing more, before i have white noise , screeching sound and pop sound,i have couple of Dac converter but now is connected with Ayino wd850 streamer with dac with wm8805 from Cirrus logic inside.i didn't try another setup.

I streaming from server only and i use net radio,sometimes i use Spotify, I don't use Bluetooth,Airplay and another service so i really can't tell you nothing more, before i have white noise , screeching sound and pop sound,i have couple of Dac converter but now is connected with Ayino wd850 streamer with dac with wm8805 from Cirrus logic inside.i didn't try another setup.
well either way that's a good result. i was provided a whitelist firmware over 10days ago that sort of solved the album track skipping, but that is only a quarter of my particular issues. the other 3/4's remained a problem and all relate to the same underlying logic/ functionality.

i hope the wiim guys can fix them, it looked like a good product.

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian
You can try the new ares 2 firmware and see if it fixes the issue for you.

I just recently started using Qobuz through the WiiM Home App and a loud popping sound occurs between track transition, and if skipping tracks. The Pro has not acted this way with any native streaming previous to the most recent firmware 4.8.515159 that I received yesterday. I don’t play music loud and the popping sound is very intense.

I’m currently using optical out at 24/192 to my Schiit Modi 3 and have not had this problem before. This problem does not exist at all if I use the Qobuz iOS iOS app and connect my iPhone or iPad directly to my Modi via lightning cable.

I’ve submitted a ticket, but this popping essentially renders my WiiM Pro useless as far as I’m concerned until this issue gets fixed.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just recently started using Qobuz through the WiiM Home App and a loud popping sound occurs between track transition, and if skipping tracks. The Pro has not acted this way with any native streaming previous to the most recent firmware 4.8.515159 that I received yesterday. I don’t play music loud and the popping sound is very intense.

I’m currently using optical out at 24/192 to my Schiit Modi 3 and have not had this problem before. This problem does not exist at all if I use the Qobuz iOS iOS app and connect my iPhone or iPad directly to my Modi via lightning cable.

I’ve submitted a ticket, but this popping essentially renders my WiiM Pro useless as far as I’m concerned until this issue gets fixed.

Does it happens when you use ChromeCast from the Qobuz app to your Pro?

do not accept any pop or noise between any transistion. it is fundamental regression. in a 100 years of musicology. never has there been such a state.

it must not exist and it is beyond reason that it should. no matter who says what on here.

do not accept it. send it back.

Does it happens when you use ChromeCast from the Qobuz app to your Pro?
Hi Brantome, I can’t replicate the popping with chromecast because when I skip tracks the play stops and I must manually press play again for the next track. This also happens when a track finishes as it does not automatically begin the next track, I’m not sure why this is the way it functions for me.

Edit/Update - I restarted my playlist and it does skip/transition through the tracks as it should with an infrequent pop that is much more quiet. Although this is a better scenario, the issue of popping while using the WiiM Home App Qobuz option needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
do not accept any pop or noise between any transistion. it is fundamental regression. in a 100 years of musicology. never has there been such a state.

it must not exist and it is beyond reason that it should. no matter who says what on here.

do not accept it. send it back.
there are people on here willing to hand over £200 and accept all the faults and misbehaviours of a product that is ostensibly not fit for purpose.

for whatever reason they are beholden to the manufacturers and are clearly flush with so much cash, actual right first time is a gimmick for them; a plaything to be tossed around. it is not.

value your time. value your money and value your passion. everything else will follow.

Does it happen when songs sample rates are different? The same? Doesn't matter?

Back