Room correction

I have room correction on my Onkyo AVR and I never agree with the sound it decides on.

Let's see how good the mic in the remote can work.

If you have a calibrated mic like UMIK-1, you can connect it to the laptop with REW software and perform the measurements using REW sweeps via Bluetooth connection to the WiiM Amp. And then manually enter the filter settings for correction calculated by REW into the WiiM PEQ section. This should already give you a decent bass mode correction for anything below 300 Hz.

This is a nice tutorial:

Maybe I can generate a short tutorial for REW/UMIK-1 with the Wiim Amp when my replacement unit arrives.

Last edited:
having an enriched and powerful peq mode, as well as a much richer sub mode would be a good thing.. rew, a micro 8000, a decent sound card, or a umik usb, would already allow a lot of things
;-)

There has been some talk of somehow enabling a sub out option on the streamers (I’m not sure how, presumably digital out to a DAC for mains, analogue out for the sub). Any sign of this - I was thinking particularly it might be tied in with room correction.

There has been some talk of somehow enabling a sub out option on the streamers (I’m not sure how, presumably digital out to a DAC for mains, analogue out for the sub). Any sign of this - I was thinking particularly it might be tied in with room correction.
I asked a question along these lines to WiiM a long while ago, perhaps with more of a focus on simultaneous multiple outputs and they said they’d get their engineers to look into it. Darko alluded to it in his review of the Amp, but iirc in the context of two grouped WiiM devices with one delivering the main audio and the other the sub audio. I don’t recall seeing any firm commitment from WiiM to actually implement it.

Based on what the support team recently said here, it's highly unlikely that sub-outs will be implemented on the WiiM Pro or pro plus.

Based on what the support team recently said here, it's highly unlikely that sub-outs will be implemented on the WiiM Pro or pro plus.

Yeah, you could take option 1 as being what Darko was alluding to. As mentioned elsewhere by @Mr Ee iirc, you might be able to implement some sort of filter for the sub by agressively applying some PEQ on the WiiM device it's attached to.

Yeah, you could take option 1 as being what Darko was alluding to. As mentioned elsewhere by @Mr Ee iirc, you might be able to implement some sort of filter for the sub by agressively applying some PEQ on the WiiM device it's attached to.
Yes, I've tried 1 method here before. 🙂

Post in thread 'Can MRM play 24/192kHz?' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/can-mrm-play-24-192khz.1164/post-15799

Unfortunately, the WiiM's output signal level was too loud for my SW. And I thought it would not be easy to maintain MRM all the time. This method is not practical for me, so I will wait for the Ultra to come. 🤗

Cheers everyone.

We’re certainly waiting for the Ultra, then.

Such a shame there aren’t RCA outs on the Amp so you could use it as a pre amp.

Indeed, it’d be nice to be able to buy it as a pre amp, without the amplification stage.

Once room correction is sorted, possibly a few extra bands of PEQ, that’d be it for me * - forget the Ultra.

* As long as the DAC measured closer to the Pro Plus than the Mini.

What you could do is use the PEQ on both devices, one acting as a high pass filter, the other as a low pass filter, when this facility becomes available, of course.

What you could do is use the PEQ on both devices, one acting as a high pass filter, the other as a low pass filter, when this facility becomes available, of course.
I can’t see what’s stopping that being done already given that PEQ is available on all models - apply PEQ to two WiiM devices and group them. You will have restrictions like Linkplay grouping maxing out at 24/48 iirc but you should be able to try it and see if it works. Unless I’m missing something…

already first of all, enriching the peq mode would be good..
it's been expected for a while now

I can’t see what’s stopping that being done already given that PEQ is available on all models - apply PEQ to two WiiM devices and group them. You will have restrictions like Linkplay grouping maxing out at 24/48 iirc but you should be able to try it and see if it works. Unless I’m missing something…

Have high/low pass filters been activated on PEQ yet?

See bottom bullet point.

IMG_1528.jpeg

Last edited:
PEQ 1 can be LS or PK, 2 & 3 PK, and 4 HS or PK, while the GEQ has ten frequency settings.

Couldn’t you in effect use those as filters by modifying the gain either side of your desired frequency? Maybe not entirely effective or purist, but perhaps worth a try?

PEQ 1 can be LS or PK, 2 & 3 PK, and 4 HS or PK, while the GEQ has ten frequency settings.

Couldn’t you in effect use those as filters by modifying the gain either side of your desired frequency? Maybe not entirely effective or purist, but perhaps worth a try?

You could try. But when high and low pass filters proper are enabled, that’d be better.

Better still a crossover, so that these can be set together accurately (above 80hz on one and above 80hz on the other isn’t correct, due to the roll off in each), but I appreciate that’s not going to happen.

Back