Static/crackling noise

gwi42

I noticed after a week with the pro sometimes my TV sound makes a static/crackling noise for about 5-10 seconds. My connection is optical in/optical out and it happens I tried optical in / rca out and it happens. Optical setting is 192/24 could this be it? I did lower it but Its hard to tell since it may not happen for hours but it's everyday. What's going on here Wiim? Is it a bad unit?

I noticed after a week with the pro sometimes my TV sound makes a static/crackling noise for about 5-10 seconds. My connection is optical in/optical out and it happens I tried optical in / rca out and it happens. Optical setting is 192/24 could this be it? I did lower it but Its hard to tell since it may not happen for hours but it's everyday. What's going on here Wiim? Is it a bad unit?
Hi Team, if you have random issues with your SPDIF input of the WiiM Pro, please send us a feedback with the WiiM Home App. If possible, please also let us know your brand/model of the TV, Blue-ray that provides the optical input. We have some test firmware that fixes this issue and we can whitelist to your device to try. Thank you!

Experienced same stuttering/crackling issue. Fixed it by resetting the DAC. But there may be a reason for the issue. Sent you feedback via the WiiM app with equipment details.

I do not think this is a WiiM issue. It also happens connecting the toslink from the TV directly to the DAC. It may have to do with TV audio out format configuration. I suspect it should be strictly 2-channel PCM.

For me this is as I’ve previously had my Samsung qn90b hooked up via toslink to my Kef ls50 wireless for weeks before I added the wiim pro and there were no issues.

I do not think this is a WiiM issue. It also happens connecting the toslink from the TV directly to the DAC. It may have to do with TV audio out format configuration. I suspect it should be strictly 2-channel PCM.
It’s 100% a WiiM issue. I’ve always had my TV connected to an external DAC without this issue. Both to a Minidsp 2x4 HD and to a Schiit Modi. Neither ever had static issues.

I’ve tried multiple different optical cords, including a glass based one. As well as multiple playback quality settings. Issue remains. I also went back and tested the issue on both the previous mentioned DACs, and again no issue.

🤞on this update correcting it.

I also have this issue using optical in from tv and optical out to Kef ls50 wireless.
It happens randomly watching Netflix and YouTube so far.
Noticed this as well. Regular tv programs don’t seem to have this issue but any streaming service like Netflix hulu and or Amazon video cause static within 5 minutes. Opening the WiiM app on phone stops it. 5 minutes later happens again

Ok just tried something out of the blue. I’ve been trying this out running the streaming apps from my Samsung tv. Getting static on all apps. Decided to see if maybe this was an issue with just the apps on tv. I also have a fire stick connected so thought I’d try the apps run from fire stick instead. Guess what, no static after 30 minutes. So perhaps this is an issues with Samsungs OS and the WiiM pro. If others possibly have same setup can they try? We may be able to help the WiiM team diagnose the issue. I’ll update if the static comes back.

Ok just tried something out of the blue. I’ve been trying this out running the streaming apps from my Samsung tv. Getting static on all apps. Decided to see if maybe this was an issue with just the apps on tv. I also have a fire stick connected so thought I’d try the apps run from fire stick instead. Guess what, no static after 30 minutes. So perhaps this is an issues with Samsungs OS and the WiiM pro. If others possibly have same setup can they try? We may be able to help the WiiM team diagnose the issue. I’ll update if the static comes back.
Okay okay…We’re getting somewhere. I also have a Samsung Smart TV.

Has not fixed the issue with Samsung tvs and their apps. Still sounds cracking and digitally distorted. Opening the app fixes it right away.

Has not fixed the issue with Samsung tvs and their apps. Still sounds cracking and digitally distorted. Opening the app fixes it right away.
If you haven’t already, send them a feedback with MAC address and they will do a firmware update. They did for me and it’s so far solved it

If you haven’t already, send them a feedback with MAC address and they will do a firmware update. They did for me and it’s so far solved it
Yep, I have a Samsung and the flash update fixed the issue for me.

Please check the firmware - WiiM App - Device - Settings (gearwheel) - Info - Firmware version.

It seems that the 'whitelisted' version is 4.8.503951.

Please post your firmware version and what you hear - solved or not. Also post TV brand/model.

See below… garbling continues.

Last edited:
Firmware - 4.8.503951
samsung tv>pro via optical>powered speakers via rca and optical (24/96).
only apps run via Samsung native OS show the behavior. Anything streamed via other source ( in other words same apps via fire stick) are fine. Even though the fire stick is going through tv via hdmi > pro via optical. Music via Ethernet is fine.
samsung set to pcm output

opening the WiiM app on phone immediately fixes the sound distortion, as soon as app is closed 5-20 mins later distortions happen again.

not sure a could give any more info :). All this has been sent through in app feedback already, but hopefully we may be able to help them diagnose.

taking WiiM pro out of tv>speakers loop has no issues at all.

I experienced this with my LG TV but haven’t tested it in a while. Somewhat related, has anyone had the same issue using the rca analog in? I tried to hook up the tape out of my stereo to this input so I could play the sound of the turntable to a WiiM mini in another room and I get a constant low frequency feedback sound.

Back