What's your setup/configuration look like?

Using my WiiM mini with a whole home audio system. Liked it so much I added a Pro for my ‘big’ stereo in the basement!

WiiM mini via line out to Monoprice 10761 whole home audio system with in-ceiling speakers

View attachment 1293
Now that’s the sort of system I’m trying to replicate. Do you have remote controls and in-wall controllers in each of the rooms to activate a zone? I’m trying to replace an old Systemline s4.3 system where the zone amps have given up the ghost. Thought I might be able to do it with 6 Wiim mini’s and 6 Fosi audio v3 amps, but just can’t find a solution to use remote controls from each of the zone to activate, do volume and skip tracks.

Now that’s the sort of system I’m trying to replicate. Do you have remote controls and in-wall controllers in each of the rooms to activate a zone? I’m trying to replace an old Systemline s4.3 system where the zone amps have given up the ghost. Thought I might be able to do it with 6 Wiim mini’s and 6 Fosi audio v3 amps, but just can’t find a solution to use remote controls from each of the zone to activate, do volume and skip tracks.
If you swapped 6 x Mini's for 6 x Pro's then addition of 6 x WiiM Remote should do it but you probably will have sync issues if you tried to play the same thing in each zone using WiiMs group mechanism - it relies on "listening mics" to keep the sync and my, albeit limited, testing suggests this isn't ideal.

I have this sort of multi room setup using LMS which uses a different sync mechanism. The server tells each player what and when - no listening. For control I can use any number of Squeezebox remotes or more typically old phones/tablets left in convenient places running Material HTML5 skin.

As an example.
In my Living Room I have a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer (player only mode) which is connected to my main HiFi via a DAC. This is named "Living Room".
In my Kitchen (recently made open plan with my Dining Room) I have a WiiM Pro connected to some nice B&W in ceiling speakers. This player is nameed "Kitchen".
They can play independently or as a "Downstairs" group.

If you swapped 6 x Mini's for 6 x Pro's then addition of 6 x WiiM Remote should do it but you probably will have sync issues if you tried to play the same thing in each zone using WiiMs group mechanism - it relies on "listening mics" to keep the sync and my, albeit limited, testing suggests this isn't ideal.

I have this sort of multi room setup using LMS which uses a different sync mechanism. The server tells each player what and when - no listening. For control I can use any number of Squeezebox remotes or more typically old phones/tablets left in convenient places running Material HTML5 skin.

As an example.
In my Living Room I have a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer (player only mode) which is connected to my main HiFi via a DAC. This is named "Living Room".
In my Kitchen (recently made open plan with my Dining Room) I have a WiiM Pro connected to some nice B&W in ceiling speakers. This player is nameed "Kitchen".
They can play independently or as a "Downstairs" group.
That’s useful info, I didn’t know about the sync issue with multiple devices. In my plan, all the WiiM’s would be located in a cabinet in the lounge along with the Fosi v3 amps, which is where all the ceiling speaker cables route back to, so the Wiim remote controls wouldn’t work from each of the zones because of the distance. One of my wishes is that Wiim do a wifi enabled remote control, but I don’t think that’s ever going to happen. …I miss remote controls especially when you have different family members wanting to change volume, skip tracks or turn the zone off… phones and the apps are just too fiddly, need charging, signing into etc…. Sounds like you’ve got a good workaround with the squeezebox remotes!

If the WiiMs are close together should be no sync issue but if you had 6 remotes they would be no use in a different room.

If the WiiMs are close together should be no sync issue but if you had 6 remotes they would be no use in a different room.
If the WiiMs are close enough so that their mics can hear one another, then they’ll be in sync. If they can’t hear one another, then does it matter if the WiiMs are not 100% in sync (which I don’t think anyone has said)?

If the WiiMs are close enough so that their mics can hear one another, then they’ll be in sync. If they can’t hear one another, then does it matter if the WiiMs are not 100% in sync (which I don’t think anyone has said)?
Yes the WiiM’s will be able to hear one another as they’re all in the same cabinet, so hopefully they’ll all be in sync. I just need to find a remote control solution. I’ve looked extensively at whole home audio systems with inwall controllers that accept remote control input to activate the zones and control volume etc, but they’re mainly US supplied systems, and the inwall control units aren’t that elegant…. If you know of anything I could consider that’s available via UK suppliers I’d be happy to hear about it.

Yes the WiiM’s will be able to hear one another as they’re all in the same cabinet, so hopefully they’ll all be in sync. I just need to find a remote control solution. I’ve looked extensively at whole home audio systems with inwall controllers that accept remote control input to activate the zones and control volume etc, but they’re mainly US supplied systems, and the inwall control units aren’t that elegant…. If you know of anything I could consider that’s available via UK suppliers I’d be happy to hear about it.
Surely these days the trend is to IP based solutions not speaker cables to a central location which is a bit 20th Century? I'm not sure that clustering 6 devices and 6 amps is going to work all that well. Unless you put the devices onto the wired LAN they are going to fight with each other for WiFi bandwidth. In fact I would go as far as saying that it would only work properly if it was wired to the LAN.

As to remotes there are some quite elegant wall mounts for iPad's and other Tablets and if you know what you are doing these can be locked to one app.

Surely these days the trend is to IP based solutions not speaker cables to a central location which is a bit 20th Century? I'm not sure that clustering 6 devices and 6 amps is going to work all that well. Unless you put the devices onto the wired LAN they are going to fight with each other for WiFi bandwidth. In fact I would go as far as saying that it would only work properly if it was wired to the LAN.

As to remotes there are some quite elegant wall mounts for iPad's and other Tablets and if you know what you are doing these can be locked to one app.
I take your point, I’ve got a Gigabit switch in the same cabinet so can wire in some Wiim Pro’s rather than the minis, I’ve also got Cat5 from here to each of the old inwall controllers in each zone, so I’ll look into the wall mounts for small tablets to see if there are any suitable replacements.

If the WiiMs are close enough so that their mics can hear one another, then they’ll be in sync.
Isn't the mic in each WiiM used to detect the delay in the equipment between it and the speaker that's connected directly to it? I don't think it matters if it can hear other speakers.
I don't know if each WiiM then accounts for that offset from the master clock itself or if they're all taken into account through a group clocking.

Regarding synching, I quite often have 3 pros grouped together in different parts of the house and have no sych issues at all, even after a few hours of playing.
Whenever the wiim app asks me to perform auto / manual sync I just click no.

The Monoprice product is a 6x6 matrix amp kind of thing. 6 inputs and 6 stereo zones, you can use the keypads to select any input on any zone, or same input to any number of zones. In my case I have the wiim mini running on one of the analog inputs, although SPDIF digital is available as well if you prefer to go into a digital input. Then I have my TV audio run to a different input. So that way I can send the TV or wiim to the ceiling mount speakers. You could have multiple wiims if you wanted to be able to have different streaming audio on different zones.

The keypads are intended to be wall mounted, they connect via cat 5 (ethernet) cable, and there's a remote that you can use with the keypads. In my case the whole-home audio system dates back to 2001 or so, so I just have speaker wire running to my existing wall mount rotary volume controls for each zone. Since I don't have cat 5 run to the wall controls, I couldn't replace my existing volume controls with the monprice keypads. So I just mounted up the keypads on a rack mount panel with decora cutouts which is located in the same place as the amp. If you have cat5 going to your wall controllers then you could easily mount the keypads at the wall.

If you are in the UK I don't know if ordering internationally from monoprice would be a problem? But it does have a switchable mains voltage to allow 115 or 230 volts so you should be good there.

The Monoprice product is a 6x6 matrix amp kind of thing. 6 inputs and 6 stereo zones, you can use the keypads to select any input on any zone, or same input to any number of zones. In my case I have the wiim mini running on one of the analog inputs, although SPDIF digital is available as well if you prefer to go into a digital input. Then I have my TV audio run to a different input. So that way I can send the TV or wiim to the ceiling mount speakers. You could have multiple wiims if you wanted to be able to have different streaming audio on different zones.

The keypads are intended to be wall mounted, they connect via cat 5 (ethernet) cable, and there's a remote that you can use with the keypads. In my case the whole-home audio system dates back to 2001 or so, so I just have speaker wire running to my existing wall mount rotary volume controls for each zone. Since I don't have cat 5 run to the wall controls, I couldn't replace my existing volume controls with the monprice keypads. So I just mounted up the keypads on a rack mount panel with decora cutouts which is located in the same place as the amp. If you have cat5 going to your wall controllers then you could easily mount the keypads at the wall.

If you are in the UK I don't know if ordering internationally from monoprice would be a problem? But it does have a switchable mains voltage to allow 115 or 230 volts so you should be good there.
You've got a really neat and tidy setup, my Systemline multiroom setup is also from 2000/2001 installed by the previous owner of the house...it was a really nice setup. A bit like you I had a Echo Link and more recently a Wiim Mini connected to a single input and then daisy chained that input to all the other zones... the in-wall controllers and the remote controls in each of the rooms just allowed you to activate the zone and control volume. Alexa devices in each room allowed you control what played. It was brilliant. The in-wall controllers were just small+discrete LCD displays which displayed the time when the zone was not active or the volume level when it was....luckily they are CAT5 controllers so I could wire in a more modern controller.

Anyway, I've implemented a Wiim+Fosi Audio V3 amp x 4 to get 4 zones working again and I'll see how I get on with that and use phones or tablets to control the volume, but I (+my family) miss the simplicity/convenience of remote controls for volume and zone activation, so I might do something similar to you using the Dayton Audio DAX66 (or DAX88) which do offer the in-wall controllers and remotes....picture attached. The only thing that's holding me back is that the amp is only available as an import from the EU into the UK (as is the monoprice range of amps)... in fact having researched this for a while it seems nobody in the UK supplies your sort of whole home audio setup with the IR in-wall controllers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 17.54.42.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 17.54.42.png
    612.4 KB · Views: 48
IMG_8874.jpeg
Very happy with my new minimal living room setup. I mean, the living room is not minimal, but the hifi setup is super simplified thanks to the Wiim Amp. Amp, old cd player connected with optical, Q Acoustics speakers on the wall.

The turntable is connected to nothing at the moment, I’ll replace it with one that has an onboard amp soon.

I had floorstanding speakers and a big amp and a streamer and a dac. The new setup is more user friendly, takes up WAY less space, needs less cables and sounds FANTASTIC.

What sort turntable is that @Flo ?
Do you not worry about dust?
Yes, it’s very dusty. One of the reasons I’m getting a different model with a lid. I also wanted direct drive and a built in preamp.

The one in the picture is an old ProJect RPM 1.3.

Back