Wiim Amp bookshelf speakers

harkpabst I said something funny?!
  • Thread title: Wiim Amp bookshelf speakers
  • You: You should try standfloor speakers, can go very low (30-40Hz).
  • Me: 🤣
If somebody is explicitly asking for bookshelf speakers, he probably has his reasons. Why would you recommend floorstanding speakers, then? This is kind of funny to me.

Also, the WiiM Amp offers pretty good subwoofer management. Choosing smallish main speakers and a sub will often result in even better around performance. And even if there is no room for floorstanders, a sub might still fit.

Anyway, it doesn't look like @paoloco is still following this thread. No hard feelings, I didn't mean to bother you.

Last edited:
I want to invest in a subwoofer too. Any suggestions?
Is it difficult to set up the sub in that manner you wont be able to say one has a subwoofer integrated?
And is it possible to set it up in this way one can listen to music and watching movies too? I mean you dont want to set it up each time again..
Any help,suggestions about this would be highy appeciated.
I want to invest about 200 or some more but 500 would be to much.
What subs are you using and again how difficult was it to set it up correctly?
Thanks in advance for you,re reply.

Have you tried these speakers yourself? How does the amplifier reveal them? I wanted to buy them for this amplifier. But I was told that he might not pull them and it's better to take Dali
Dali is known for playing well with a lot of amplifiers, this is not Dynaudio.

I'm very happy with my Q Acoustics 3030i.

Seconded

It’s great recommending multi-thousand euro speakers - but it’s a chip amp in a €300 box

The Q Acoustics 3020i or 3030i won’t disappoint, nor would Monitor Audio Silver 50s or 100s or Elac Debut 5.2N IIs or their 6.2B and all are within your budget

They all make affordable subs that match their bookshelf speakers

But, your amp is small enough to take with you to an audio store and listen for yourself, so why not do that?

I want to invest in a subwoofer too. Any suggestions?
Is it difficult to set up the sub in that manner you wont be able to say one has a subwoofer integrated?
And is it possible to set it up in this way one can listen to music and watching movies too? I mean you dont want to set it up each time again..
Any help,suggestions about this would be highy appeciated.
I want to invest about 200 or some more but 500 would be to much.
What subs are you using and again how difficult was it to set it up correctly?
Thanks in advance for you,re reply.
Discussion got distracted fast on the other thread (and why not, a dedicated subwoofer for WiiM Amp thread would make sense), so I'll give my opinion here.

Chances of good and easy integration of mains and sub are much better with the Amp than with many other amplifiers. The myth of sub integration being a black art mainly stems from the period when amplifiers would not apply proper high pass filtering to mains speakers. The WiiM can do that.

Don't waste money on features you don't need. The ideal cheap sub for the WiiM Amp should have an LFE input (you don't want to use the sub's filtering anyway), continuous phase adjustment (not just a 0/180⁰ switch) and no DSP functions, remote control, high-level inputs, app support or other unnecessary crap. You probably won't find that in the price point you've looking for.

Also, don't worry about subs better "for music" or "for cinema" in this price range (and even generally, I would say). If you really want more oomph when watching movies, simply make aand save custom EQ in the WiiM Home App with some bass boost (or pick one of the default EQ settings).

Given the money you have to spend, reasonable subs will either have 8" or 10" woofers. Since you have a very energy efficient amp I would recommend to go with an efficient sub, too. Avoid models with visible cooling fins on the back.

Closed box designs can potentially provide tighter bass than ported designs, but a) it depends mostly on the implementation and b) they are usually rather found with more expensive subs. They need a lot more electrical power for equalisation.

Last edited:
A good sub when set up right should be felt, not heard.

Bookshelves are wonderful if space is an issue. I enjoyed many of them in the past. For larger space, you benefit with floor standers But there's something elegant seeing a pair of high quality bookshelves on solid stands flanking a neatly arranged audio rack.

Whatever there is to be felt, playing a concerto for cembalo, recorder and triangle. ;)

In a stereo system, the subwoofer is not an effects channel. The ability to shake walls or dislocate furniture wouldn't be prime priority on my personal list ... but a nice bonus.

Last edited:
What would help me is to understand your current speaker setup, location and what is powering it. Based on some of the threads of the members and elsewhere where their speakers are shoved in a corner and obstructed by some sort of furniture or tucked within literal book shelf or poorly spaced. No amount of high quality speakers will alleviate bad placements and room attenuation.
Also make sure the front face of the speaker cabinet is flush with the edge of the shelf.

I just bought some second hand Revel M16 for my Wiim amp. These speakers are the real deal. Although if you want bass and treble emphasis then you might not like the beautifully accurate midrange of the Revels, even though they do have excellent bass and treble as well. They’re just very linear and realistic sounding.

Back