WiiM Amp

Hi Joffy1780, Team

The volume knob doubles as a 'Play/Pause' button – a single push toggles playback, while a longer press initiates network setup or restores factory settings. This functionality aligns with the 'Play/Pause' button on other WiiM devices for consistency. Thank you!
Thank you, I knew the knob was also a button, but just thought the fact that the symbol rotates looks a bit strange.

I feel a little bit co-guilty that this "static issue" and the thing I've noticed have probably been mixed up.
What I mentioned was this prickling in the fingertips and a multimeter showing a little electric voltage between
a. grounding and RCA, which is kinda normal. The reason why even with no audible impact the correct phase is important for me and is checked for every new item in my chain and
b. a little, but measurable voltage between grounding and housing of the amp, which is for me a stopper and was the reason to give it back and let my contact decide what to do. Especially when it comes to 230 V in a metal case. Even an eventually pre-production item should not show this.
No idea if this was singular with my sample. No idea if it is reasoned by the dedicated German power net. No idea if it was reasoned by our home power installation, what I can not imagine. But I highly recommend a look on it by the consumers and by the manufacturers. This is my definitive last statement regarding this point. The two last things I want is blaming WiiM and/or getting between fronts.
So the Wiim Amp case is made on metal, non plastic? I've read conflicting information about it after the Wiim Amp was announced, someone was also saying that they cannot use metal for the case unless they add external antennas for WiFi and Bluetooth (which are absent in the final version of this little amp).

So the Wiim Amp case is made on metal, non plastic? I've read conflicting information about it after the Wiim Amp was announced, someone was also saying that they cannot use metal for the case unless they add external antennas for WiFi and Bluetooth (which are absent in the final version of this little amp).
The shell of the WiiM amp is aluminum. Due to the use of plastic in the frame, it does not require an external antenna.

Mine has been connected on wifi since day one with no issues. The base is plastic and raised by almost a centimetre so perhaps the antenna are housed around there.

Hi Team,

As for the static issue, rest assured that our device has successfully passed ESD tests as per UL and FCC/CE standards. These tests include 4Kv contact and 8Kv air tests, ensuring robust electrostatic discharge protection. I hope it helps. Thank you!
Two of the earliest people to get their hands on the WiiM amp experienced such issues. Having passed the necessary tests wouldn't seem to preclude the possibility of there being a genuine issue here.

Two of the earliest people to get their hands on the WiiM amp experienced such issues. Having passed the necessary tests wouldn't seem to preclude the possibility of there being a genuine issue here.
Hi Hashkey, Team

We'll certainly investigate this issue further. However, we'd like to clarify that products with metal surfaces are more susceptible to static electricity compared to those with plastic surfaces when touched. This effect is often more pronounced during winter and in dry conditions. Thank you!

Thanks, but I'd like to hear from @WiiM Support as UK retailers have been taking preorders saying they will be shipping end of Nov / start of Dec. They must have got this info from somewhere, unless they made it up. I'd like to cancel my preorder if your account is correct.
Raise a ticket direct to them then - they only occasionally drop in here so won't necessarily pick up your tagging them. I'm only quoting what I've seen and from my experience with Pro and Pro Plus delivery dates which were similarly optimistic. Alternatively, you could try contacting Henley Audio who will be WiiM's lead distributor in the UK (outside Amazon) to see if they have any better news.

Seemingly there’ll be an app update this week to reveal the Audio Output settings for the Amp.
What do you mean? That there will likely the possibility to use the current version of the Wiim Amp as a preamplifier/streamer using the existing RCA connectors as output instead as input?

Raise a ticket direct to them then - they only occasionally drop in here so won't necessarily pick up your tagging them. I'm only quoting what I've seen and from my experience with Pro and Pro Plus delivery dates which were similarly optimistic. Alternatively, you could try contacting Henley Audio who will be WiiM's lead distributor in the UK (outside Amazon) to see if they have any better news.

I appreciate your response mate. It's just not what I'm after. A public announcement from Wiim would be fitting here or there could be a lot of disappointed people come Christmas day. There has been no news from Wiim or retailers in the UK that support your view, therefore, @WiiM Support need to set the record straight here for all concerned, not just me.

I just ordered a WiiM amp and have some functionality questions. I realize that the product is new, but I think my questions are more toward the streaming portion anyway.
I have several Amazon Echo devices throughout the house and setup as multi-room music using Prime Music. I use the Echo devices as the source for a couple of stereo systems. Replacing Rotel amp and pre-amp with the WiiM amp to drive a pair of Theil 3.5 speakers.

Getting to the question, will the WiiM show up in the Alexa app as another Echo device and work seamlessly in multi-room like an Echo does now?
My goal is to simplify my setup and make more use of the Thiels vs having to power up the Rotel setup etc.
The WiiM will also be providing sound from LG TV as well with a Directv box.
What's the best way to connect HDMI? Sat box>tv>WiiM? I suppose that might be my only option unless there is wireless or other audio port to use.
Sorry for all the newbie questions but trying to sort things out in preparation to changing my whole audio setup for one room.

Getting to the question, will the WiiM show up in the Alexa app as another Echo device and work seamlessly in multi-room like an Echo does now?
Yes, all WiiM devices appear under Echo&Alexa devices in the Alexa room and can be added to a multiroom music group. WiiM devices in such a group don't support lossless Amazon Music, but that won't matter for you as only have Amazon Music Prime which is lossy MP3 anyway.

Edit: note that you can't use the WiiM Amp to send its audio to the echos in a multi room music group, it just supports playback of whatever Alexa has sent to the group

What's the best way to connect HDMI? Sat box>tv>WiiM? I suppose that might be my only option unless there is wireless or other audio port to use.
Sorry for all the newbie questions but trying to sort things out in preparation to changing my whole audio setup for one room.
The WiiM amp also has optical input, but HDMI would be the obvious way to connect your TV if it has an HDMI ARC socket

Yes, all WiiM devices appear under Echo&Alexa devices in the Alexa room and can be added to a multiroom music group. WiiM devices in such a group don't support lossless Amazon Music, but that won't matter for you as only have Amazon Music Prime which is lossy MP3 anyway.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking down the road I would upgrade my Amazon Music to the HD version, but you say that won't work for multiroom. Will HD work when streaming to WiiM only, even though it might be part of a multiroom group?

Seemingly there’ll be an app update this week to reveal the Audio Output settings for the Amp.
Can you elaborate this? Audio out? As far I’m concerned all connection on wiim amp are all inputs. If what you’re saying is indeed true, this is the function I rather have to connect my mono block amp. If wiim can reverse engineering function of the rca that can be use either in or out via firmware update many will be floored.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking down the road I would upgrade my Amazon Music to the HD version, but you say that won't work for multiroom. Will HD work when streaming to WiiM only, even though it might be part of a multiroom group?
On checking the app to refresh my memory, I think that restriction might now only apply to the WiiM Mini, so you should be OK with the Amp in a MRM group with Amazon Music Unlimited. However, from what I've seen, I think Alexa MRM is restricted to 24/48 anyway.

Not sure what you mean with your second comment - even though the Amp might be part of a multiroom group, like any echo/alexa enabled device it can still play independently of the group, so yes it will support Amazon Music Unlimited up to the full 24/192 resolution

Back