WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
For the reasons I stated. Can't play DSD 128, 256. The DAC has to use an ASRC to reclock the data. Asynch USB does everything correctly.
The DAC cannot receive DSD stream over spdif (except DoP64), so there is nothing to reclock on the DAC side.

The DAC cannot receive DSD stream over spdif (except DoP64), so there is nothing to reclock on the DAC side.

Inability to play DSD natively and high sample rate DSD is another problem but that's beside the point. All S/PDIF data has to be reclocked. Wiim Pro Plus is currently having an issue with S/PDIF clock differences. Async USB is currently the best DAC interface that takes care of all those issues.

BTW, DACs with an ASRC are quite rare. And the ones without any reclocking engine can still handle spdif transmission.

BTW, DACs with an ASRC are quite rare. And the ones without any reclocking engine can still handle spdif transmission.
Why? What would be the reason?

Some let's say issues when its spdif input is used, but it's not related to the spdif output.

S/PDIF has to be reclocked because the send and receive clocks are different. Every DAC chip has an ASRC bult-in to handle S/PDIF. Actually AKM makes a separate ASRC chip now. Presumably to cut cost if you're using a USB receiver, because you don't need to resample. S/PDIF needs to be retired because band-aid patches are needed to fix technical issues. USB is better in every way.

Last edited:
S/PDIF has to be reclocked because the send and receive clocks are different. Every DAC chip has an ASRC bult-in to handle S/PDIF. Actually AKM makes a separate ASRC chip now. Presumably to cut cost if you're using a USB receiver, because you don't need to resample. S/PDIF needs to be retired because band-aid patches are needed to fix technical issues. USB is better in every way.
PS Audio & Denafrips users along with both companies, say that I2S sounds better.

PS Audio & Denafrips users along with both companies, say that I2S sounds better.
Two audiophile brands that need to give you a reason to buy their expensive components. And using reviewers like Hans Beekhuyzen. What a joke. I find it hard to believe using an external box that converts USB>i2S or S/PDIF>i2S will work better than an internal Async USB solution using XMOS.

S/PDIF has to be reclocked because the send and receive clocks are different.
No. Using an ASRC to reclock the incoming stream is just a possibility. The most common way is to lock and sync with the clock recovered from the spdif transmission. This way one clock can be followed through the digital audio chain giving the possibility to keep the stream unaltered and bit-perfect.

Every DAC chip has an ASRC bult-in to handle S/PDIF.
Not really. ASRC blocks inside DA chips are used during DA conversion and this is not related to spdif. There are usually separate chips for I/O interfaces.
S/PDIF needs to be retired because band-aid patches are needed to fix technical issues. USB is better in every way.
No need to retire. Both solutions have advantages and disadvantages.

About DAC, are you shure? 🤔🤔🤔 Mhhhh…..
Audiophile? 😝😝😝

That is my opinion after comparing against D90SE on USB. Wiim is a little better so the Topping was sold.
I suppose because of the short paths of the all in one unit...
Of course you may hear thing differently, but please share your impressions.

Can't wait for this. Hope it's still cheap as I may end up getting three of these...

Very interested in Dolby Atmos from Tidal over the HDMI ARC connection. And personally I would use the phono input if it proves to be decent.

It would also be great to see a clean Wiim power amp in the future. One designed to stack underneath the Ultra.

Quick question for those of you with existing WIIM devices - do the Wii devices enable multi room in combination with Tidal Connect at hi res?

Can't wait for this. Hope it's still cheap as I may end up getting three of these...

Very interested in Dolby Atmos from Tidal over the HDMI ARC connection. And personally I would use the phono input if it proves to be decent.
WiiM devcies don’t currently support Dolby Atmos streams.

It would also be great to see a clean Wiim power amp in the future. One designed to stack underneath the Ultra.

Quick question for those of you with existing WIIM devices - do the Wii devices enable multi room in combination with Tidal Connect at hi res?

As I understand it, Tidal Connect is a single point to point connection and doesn’t support multi room playback. If you were to use Tidal within the WiiM app to play to multiple other WiiM devices, the best you will get is 16/48 although Wii have said in the past they might look at developing hi res multi room.

I’m quite surprised that we haven’t seen more discussion of the Fiio R7 so far, especially as it’s a streamer with a display.

It also has a headphone amp (which people have mentioned), balanced outs (which people have mentioned), and the facility to connect to a large screen (which people have mentioned).

I’m sure the new WiiM will be in competition with this model, as (so far at least) the WiiM looks like it’ll be similar, and that they’ll be in the same section of the market.

I’m quite surprised that we haven’t seen more discussion of the Fiio R7 so far, especially as it’s a streamer with a display.

It also has a headphone amp (which people have mentioned), balanced outs (which people have mentioned), and the facility to connect to a large screen (which people have mentioned).

I’m sure the new WiiM will be in competition with this model, as (so far at least) the WiiM looks like it’ll be similar, and that they’ll be in the same section of the market.
Not enough details on the WiiM ultra yet - I would have imagined it would go up against the EverSolo DMP-A6 rather than the FiiO as the FiiO R7 is more a desktop headphone amplifier that happens to be great at other things and has a vertical screen rather than an horizontal.

For people who've paired a Mini or Pro (and Pro+) with a dedicated DAC costing north of $1,000, I'm wondering how the Ultra will be viewed as a replacement for this combo. I wonder because at some point, I would guess that people now using a Mini or Pro for an all-in value system costing less than $1,000 total might see these as 'plenty good enough' for Streaming DAC services. And they very likely could be. I can also envision those DAC owners who've set up a system for dedicated listening at a significantly higher cost might also see the Mini or Pro as an incredible value for just digital delivery (and they are) but maybe not as a one box Streaming DAC ready to displace their Denafrips Pontus or Chord Quetest or in my case a Gustard.

And I'm not saying that there isn't new market to gain with an improved Pro. I'm just curious as to how those with an affinity for WiiMs gear at different ends of the music consumer spectrum - current owners - will react to a new device that seems to better the Pro+ in some respects but might be pushing features that don't compel upgrades for the 'office system' audience. And for those using the Mini or Pro as strictly a digital front end, will the Ultra push far enough into the audiophile hobbyist space to be a strong consideration for use as Streaming DAC, as designed. As much as I'd like to play with room correction and have a USB out, I'm also not sure if those things are enough for me to ditch the Pro.

I think at the moment the Pro and + are a great value as a digital transport for higher end DACs. I seriously doubt that WiiM will rise up to the level of a high end DAC with the built-in. I hope they surprise me but I'm not holding my breath. If the USB output of the Ultra works well and the price is still reasonable I will probably buy one. If it gets too expensive, I'll most likely keep using the the Pro.

I think at the moment the Pro and + are a great value as a digital transport for higher end DACs. I seriously doubt that WiiM will rise up to the level of a high end DAC with the built-in. I hope they surprise me but I'm not holding my breath. If the USB output of the Ultra works well and the price is still reasonable I will probably buy one. If it gets too expensive, I'll most likely keep using the the Pro.

The WiiM Pro Plus has already been measured as transparent to the source. You can’t get better than that.

It can be better in many aspects. And in fact it is, because the mentioned device comes from the previous HW revision.

It can be better in many aspects. And in fact it is, because the mentioned device comes from the previous HW revision.

No. Bigger doesn’t = better.

Example - humans can hear 20hz to 20khz. If one DAC can produce that (they all can), and the next one can go up to 30hz, that’s not ‘better’.

All of the measurements of the WiiM Pro Plus are up to the limits of human hearing. You can get ‘bigger’, but you can’t get ‘better’.

No. Bigger doesn’t = better.

Example - humans can hear 20hz to 20khz. If one DAC can produce that (they all can), and the next one can go up to 30hz, that’s not ‘better’.

All of the measurements of the WiiM Pro Plus are up to the limits of human hearing. You can get ‘bigger’, but you can’t get ‘better’.
the distortion rate was anormal under 1k...and the rapid hardware revision, its important impact, is the proof...

Back