WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Hello,

will the Wiim Ultra have DSD support?
Will .dsf files be playable?

Can it convert DSD to PCM on-the-fly in order to be able to use the room correction and digital volume control for DSD playback?

Best regards
Will it be able to recognize and stream an SACD ISO image and play it natively? Same with a CD image? I prefer ripping some discs as ISO images.

....and USB audio output...

I hope this is a typo. We don't need (or want) USB audio output. We need a normal USB-C data port!
Not a typo.
Many do want usb output, so they can use an external dac.
The wiim products are not really (or so it seems to me) intended to be used as dacs for an external source. They are, after all, streamers, not dacs per se.
Yes, they can take in an optical signal, but (again my inference) this seems to be mainly aimed at connecting a tv.

I read somewhere that the Ultra would have a USB port that is multi use, it could be connected to a hub.

This is a quote from WiiM support in this Forum. Post# 199

"Similar to the WiiM Amp, the USB port serves as a USB out or media server with the new firmware. Additionally, you can connect multiple USB DACs using a hub."

Last edited:
A Tidal connect streamer with bitperfect USB output would be much appreciated! There's only the IFI Stream option at reasonable price out there, but it is not cheap for what it delivers.
Really interesting!

Hi Steve, Team

Here are the upgraded features of the WiiM Ultra.

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Integrated power supply
- Phono input
Hi Steve,

These features will definitely raise the class level of the WiiM streamer, along with price. :) They are welcome features that hopefully many users and potential new customers will appreciate. Can you provide details of the screen, specifically, size and how it will be used? Will it be for information/display purposes only, or fully touch-enabled to provide complete access and user interaction to all the Ultra's functions and features? Depending upon how this(the screen) is implemented, it would certainly go a along way in enhancing the user experience. While I don't need another streamer, these features - if implemented in the final product - will get my attention! This is such a popular product, the Ultra will make it that much better, but clearly at a new price point.

I’m ambivalent about a screen.

Don’t get me wrong, I know others will appreciate it, and it’s already announced, so I’m not one of those who’s going to say it shouldn’t have one.

But from my perspective, I have an iPhone and there’s no more the Ultra’s screen could add in functionality. All the screen can do is to sit there, attached to the front of the streamer. I can’t imagine a circumstance where this would be better, easier, or more comfortable or convenient than holding the phone in your hand.

It might have been better, if this is what people want, to just add a cradle to the front of the Ultra to put your mobile phone on.

But if anyone wants to explain why it’s better to have a fixed screen, rather just using the one you already have in your hand, I’m all ears.

Hi Steve,
Can you provide details of the screen, specifically, size and how it will be used? Will it be for information/display purposes only, or fully touch-enabled to provide complete access and user interaction to all the Ultra's functions and features?
Steve is just a user like the rest of us and the questions you ask can really only be answered by WiiM, but given the product is still at some early point in the design and production stage, we're unlikely to hear specifics at this point beyond what WiiM have already said,

Last edited:
I think the reason to add a screen could be that the Eversolo and other streamers have one. I hope that doesn't mean Eversolo prices.

I wonder how many will use a phono input? Did they actually get that much demand for it? Or are they using the kitchen sink approach for their Ultra product? I see streaming as a tool to make digital files more convenient. I have no desire to play vinyl records over streaming. Especially new records which are mostly cut from the the same digital files as the digital releases.

I wonder how many will use a phono input? Did they actually get that much demand for it? Or are they using the kitchen sink approach for their Ultra product? I see streaming as a tool to make digital files more convenient. I have no desire to play vinyl records over streaming. Especially new records which are mostly cut from the the same digital files as the digital releases.
Since the WiiM Mini first hit the shelves, there have been regular questions about doing exactly that…

To my view, screen not needed because I’m 10 foot away from the listening area. Screen make sense if you use at close range. This device will allow me to use my mono block as its streamer/dac/pre amp all in one box.

I would use the WiiM Ultra to replace as many Devices as possible (including a Phono Preamp).

I think that many people use older turntables that do not fall into the high-end category and do not have built-in Phono stages.
From what I've read so far, WiiM might as well go ahead and design a full-fledged, old-school preamp, with all the digital luxuries we enjoy on other modern audio equipment. Streamers seem to be moving in that direction already. With that approach, they could satisfy just about everyone! :) But, then it would likely not be a 'budget' audio appliance.

most cheap but properly designed sources are much better than even the best amplifier. for example this one is only $80:
i dont have a problem if people like tube amps etc,(as long as they dont pay multiple thousands for them) but by far the most important thing is to get the speakers right. some are extremely bad and sold on marketing claims alone instead of the science of sound reproduction.
so i wouldnt worry about sound quality from a source. often irritations with electronics is actually an issue in the speakers.
The SMSL SU-1 USB DAC is a very capable little player for $80. I bought one to try out in one of my computer work areas. I use it as Roon end-point, as roon immediately recognizes USB DACs. Most of my DACs use ESS based chips, but I have 3 AKM based chips as well. The SU-1 uses a Ak4493S chip and is very nice to listen to. The SU-1's diminutive size make it work just about anywhere. The best $80 dollars you can spend on a DAC.

Sorry, not meant to diminish what this thread is all about. The WiiM Pro+ has a nice compliment of features for $220 as well. I have no financial interest in SMSL.

Back