No MQA after last update

Not realy. I was listening on wiim home app and it was working OK (my Yamaha was showing 96kHz from a file that in wiim home app was 48kHz).

Not realy. I was listening on wiim home app and it was working OK (my Yamaha was showing 96kHz from a file that in wiim home app was 48kHz).
Surprising as WiiM have not released MQA unfolding from the WiiM app, just via Tidal Connect as stated…

Are You kidding me? I had it all the time. Unfortunately I deleted many screenshots recently and cannot proof it now.

WiiM Home app would show 96 kHz for unfolded 48 kHz content as it does show when Tidal Connect is used.

And WiiM Home app will not reflect any changes done after the audio stream leaves WiiM, for example unfolding on the DAC.

But yamaha musiccast was showing it as 96kHz while wiim was showing 48kHz. I had an issue with tidal app and was using wiim home only most of time.

So your Yamaha was unfolding itself or was just lying about the resolution as WiiM is not capable of unfolding yet when Tidal Connect is not being used.

Thought I'd post something that *might* be useful...
As noted, the options in WHA have changed.
Seems to me there are just 3 combinations now.
1. Mqa beta: off
2. Mqa beta: on, mqa capabilities: no mqa
3. Mqa beta: on, mqa capabilities: mqa

Maybe wiim need to clarify exactly what each combination does.
But here's one possible, hopefully logical, answer.

1. If everything else is set up to allow bit perfect, then surely this would mean an mqa-able signal is going to the dac? i.e. if the dac is a decoder, or decoder and renderer, then it could do so with this signal?
2. Wiim does the first unfold (decode), and that's it. Post processing, such as EQ, could still be done before output.
3. Choosing this says it will change the settings to enable bit perfect, except for max output resolution. The only thing that makes sense to me is that this is effectively stating that the dac is a renderer, so wiim does a decode and it automatically sets up the other settings to present that as bit perfect to the dac, i.e. no post processing.

Now, if only I leant the other way and had Tidal hifi plus to test any of this...
You were correct. From WiiM support. "Your DAC only supports render only and now we don't support the MQA option for that. We will update our app to support it.
Meanwhile, please select the NO MQA to workaround this issue because our device will unfold the MQA file first and then your DAC can unfold the MQA file twice. Please tell us if this works for you." IT DID!

You were correct. From WiiM support. "Your DAC only supports render only and now we don't support the MQA option for that. We will update our app to support it.
Meanwhile, please select the NO MQA to workaround this issue because our device will unfold the MQA file first and then your DAC can unfold the MQA file twice. Please tell us if this works for you." IT DID!
Interesting. If so I have no idea what the combination "mqa - on, dac - mqa capable" was supposed to do.

First unfold in wiim, second in DAC?
WiiM support said:
"Your DAC only supports render only and now we don't support the MQA option for that."

That's the case I'm taking about. Any DAC with render only mqa support will require first unfold on the WiiM.

Interesting. If so I have no idea what the combination "mqa - on, dac - mqa capable" was supposed to do.
I'd assume it's like automating my option (1), simply setting up the wiim to allow a bit perfect signal to go to a decoder or decoder/renderer dac.

So for now, to get a renderer only dac to work it seems you need to choose option (2), and manually set things for bit perfect.

Can only confirm. I just checked and mqa unfolding is working only when playing on tidal app. What a mess...
Why are you not using tidal connect? Curious, as it works perfectly fine with me. Also I like the native app more than custom 3rd party in general.

Why are you not using tidal connect? Curious, as it works perfectly fine with me. Also I like the native app more than custom 3rd party in general.
It looses wiim on my smartphone. Must restart phone or on/off plane mode to bring it back alive...

Thats indeed frustrating. To be honest, this was the key feature why I bought it. If it were not running on my side, I would have send the device back. Hope it gets cleared for you quickly.

I would therefore assume the App update has caused these issues then?
The old App I downloaded has these options

nbNhHsMki9sL_4mCRV8vNiHNoj1T1CPvmnqdFQU2bmgmfyB7pjKGNeUO1-wtZvomNuXqAEQswuPMytsPfKt9t52STgGNB9a-kI8pjG-YDe9H1QgJtNl4juYEjcuzr6gVuCn2FCIIVjLHF0ddqNPbO5OXPidaOv75VM_On_FYbSDUW6B-eeUKnEV3gcb3Q_gYH7c3Q9KcyOGm4h5ktpGsIsaoR68qKPEjYCC8cAOMfFRzMzdeblUr5rH8SSMVzgIsLwxmJ82K8CoxU8fa5uW1bFwkHzBHwpdzTcTgWOAb5rkb3ghZkZ0u8OQE0C1bf9bMaj5ABWcYVVJynqIwTNgnKx_833UPbpOmydDTtuTm4uiEkBF_uvvdfxkUky3uxOTbDZ_yhrSE7b3pth0Z9uY93AkM57vXzxF8REwv6Fl9R15HeT6bSq3-uGCPSQ5du2zGJ0_tNnL8CPxwMPIAItHKCCBlNsZTe0IRidD5x1_7Uoc86_tIlOZlsldOy4aMi3s_RM505BKBaqSVYFgV3k7WMnq6oapXlND5N6JrIDxL5s8kOkBEK0FtRd2OpwGkpAfZiO5iiV16Lr0CrmyOn0uOZ_pi7ad1Z-lMRDTniBnx7zHDequlUQP0G8GvEgdG4KrCV4XZFPENHvTKM81I9gjgI55ovnbF0TJtiuQSdpGSyefmxnnLoF1qpxUwxiUX8p2Fd5SJJkQHU9pjiXA98lColNQaiNZMhLt5ItgpYVFfZRn9AAsmpCteRMj_F11MtDSvavStLbSDawmdkmoLfoc5GlIvMHejnBmDjRDR23sHD6jmzjq6vjxvOrMRYj3Bmfs66bNx7beFGTeXHvFPjomwlexq2kPDezLMyVxOWXnnAtII8dUTqjQKognNQb4JDhHM89tlRm5E7dT0gHFcSpsERMbVqqBDghEWUy3BuJ3CgyBVAgVs0Q=w763-h952-s-no
You could go back (forward?) to the new app again now, although the old one's options are certainly simpler.

Back