WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Same here. All I need is control from my phone and high quality analog output. The Pro Plus does both, so that what I plan to buy soon.

I have no problem with them introducing the Ultra though, I'd love to see the more expensive streamers get some direct competition
I am very much a fan of the pro plus and the amp. I use both in different rooms and I love them

I was referring to the WiiM Amp, mock-ups of which we saw at the start of Aug ‘23, with its eventual release 4 months later in Dec‘23. See this original post in Thread 'WiiM Amp'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/

As for the Ultra, as I’ve already commented a few times, I’m guessing Jun/Jul i.e. the end of Q2‘24, but happy to be proved wrong.
Someone on ASR quoted they’d been told June in a response from WiiM, so my guess is looking good ;)

Edit: the response from WiiM actually said “The WiiM Ultra is set to be available for purchase around June 30 this year. One of the standout features of the WiiM Ultra is its compatibility with the same DAC as used in the WiiM Pro Plus. ”

2nd Edit: it appears this info was incorrect. Apologies - see post #750

Last edited:
To Recap
The WiiM Support Admin has been kind enough to post 9 times to date about the Ultra. I’d say we know quite a bit about it already.

Post #195 had the most info.

By feature
- USB out - Post #195. Additionally, the USB out will 1) support room correction EQ functionality - Post #239, 2) be able to split off the low end output to the sub out - Post #239, 3) serve as a media server - Post #199
- USB media server - Post #195. It will have an onboard music server which will be DLNA/UPnP compliant - Post #241
- Sub out - Post #195
- HDMI ARC - Post #195
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio - Post #195.
- A display - Post #195. The display will be touch screen with a custom UI providing access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself - Post #707
- Integrated power supply - Post #195
- Phono input - Post #195
- 12v trigger - Post #203. It will be 3.5mm - Post #208
- Form Factor similar to WiiM Amp - Post #707
- Price - the most economically accessible option in its class - Post #707
Add #742 ;)

Edit: see post #750

Last edited:
Feb 24 WiiM Ultra Recap

Sourced Directly From WiiM

- USB out - Post #195. Additionally, the USB out will 1) support room correction EQ functionality - Post #239, 2) be able to split off the low end output to the sub out - Post #239, 3) serve as a media server - Post #199
- USB media server - Post #195. It will have an onboard music server which will be DLNA/UPnP compliant - Post #241
- Sub out - Post #195
- HDMI ARC - Post #195
- A display - Post #195. The display will be touch screen with a custom UI providing access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself - Post #707
- Form Factor - similar to WiiM Amp - Post #707

3rd Party Intel*

- Release Date - June 30 via ASR forum claim sourced from WiiM - Post #742
- DAC - Same as WiiM Pro+ via ASR forum claim sourced from WiiM - Post #742

*Not sure how I feel about second hand claims regarding Ultra intel, especially since the admin has been pretty open with us about information for an unreleased product. I’ll add some of the more credible ones as we go but would feel much better about sourcing from Posts in this forum directly from the WiiM admin.

Edited by moderator: Apologies - it appears this information under ‘3rd party Intel’ which I related from a bona fide source on ASR is in fact wrong - see post #750.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 24 WiiM Ultra Recap

Sourced Directly From WiiM

- Sub out - Post #195
- HDMI ARC - Post #195
- Form Factor - similar to WiiM Amp - Post #707

3rd Party Intel*

- Release Date - June 30 via ASR forum claim sourced from WiiM - Post #742
- DAC - Same as WiiM Pro+ via ASR forum claim sourced from WiiM - Post #742

*Not sure how I feel about second hand claims regarding Ultra intel, especially since the admin has been pretty open with us about information for an unreleased product. I’ll add some of the more credible ones as we go but would feel much better about sourcing from Posts in this forum directly from the WiiM admin.
All looks good and moreover if the integrated power supply is well designed and HDMI ARC would means x.x.x downmix & DTS/Dolbys codecs support.

will be 3rd generation after "pro"" "pro plus" is still no symmetrical output... ???
( very) surprising...

(maybe it will be on “the ultimate intergalactic” ;-) )

(phono input on a "source" streamer remains surprising but it wouldn't have been so much on "amp"... and if replacing the line entry , would be stupid)

(new aop like 1611in the akm dac part?)

Last edited:
“- DAC - Same as WiiM Pro+ via ASR forum claim sourced from WiiM - Post #742”

Is this source from WiiM or a random ASR member?

This is interesting because using the same DAC as PRO+ will be highly disappointing. Although the AKM 4493SEQ is a decently transparent DAC as far as “measurements” go, overall it isn’t great but just good enough.

For example, a piano sounds like a keyboard. It doesn’t offer natural tonality with instruments. It also lacks soundstage, it’s a narrow sound. However, the DAC does sound good with Rock and EDM genre music.

I’m not sure how you can achieve “a new benchmark for sound quality” using the same DAC. Maybe a dual DAC setup but even then it doesn‘t help the overall tonality. Maybe a bit better soundstage and SINAD. Hopefully WiiM can shed more light on the Ultra DAC specs.

It seems there’s more focus on the touchscreen while maybe using the same single chip DAC. Looks like I’m keeping the PRO+ paired with an external DAC. The Ultra might be geared towards desktop users with an arm reach length.

If has the same DAC, it just makes my decision to go with the Pro Plus even easier.

This is interesting because using the same DAC as PRO+ will be highly disappointing. Although the AKM 4493SEQ is a decently transparent DAC as far as “measurements” go, overall it isn’t great but just good enough.

For example, a piano sounds like a keyboard. It doesn’t offer natural tonality with instruments. It also lacks soundstage, it’s a narrow sound. However, the DAC does sound good with Rock and EDM genre music.

I’m not sure how you can achieve “a new benchmark for sound quality” using the same DAC. Maybe a dual DAC setup but even then it doesn‘t help the overall tonality. Maybe a bit better soundstage and SINAD. Hopefully WiiM can shed more light on the Ultra DAC specs.

It seems there’s more focus on the touchscreen while maybe using the same single chip DAC. Looks like I’m keeping the PRO+ paired with an external DAC. The Ultra might be geared towards desktop users with an arm reach length.
I’ve reached out to WiiM, and while the information was quoted from an email from their support team which I’ll admit to reposting here, WiiM have since said that information was wrong and that the Ultra will have “an upgraded DAC compared to the WiiM Pro Plus, enhancing sound quality significantly”. They’ll inform their front line support accordingly.

Guess the hunger for pre release information will result in the occasional misstep…

Edit: I’ll amend the relevant posts accordingly.

I’ve reached out to WiiM, and while the information was quoted from an email from their support team which I’ll admit to reposting here, WiiM have since said that information was wrong and that the Ultra will have “an upgraded DAC compared to the WiiM Pro Plus, enhancing sound quality significantly”. They’ll inform their front line support accordingly.

Guess the hunger for pre release information will result in the occasional misstep…
Well that's definitely good news. The Ultra is looking better and better for my use.

Edit: I’ll amend the relevant posts accordingly.
Ok, that makes much more sense. It‘s tough to claim a new benchmark in sound quality while integrating the same single DAC chip. Thank you for clarifying.

Ok, that makes much more sense. It‘s tough to claim a new benchmark in sound quality while integrating the same single DAC chip. Thank you for clarifying.
Thanks - and apologies again for relaying that email even though WiiM have admitted it came from then, albeit with wrong info.

I disagree . Piano sounds fantastic. Listen to Ibrahim Ferrer - Quizas , quizas. What is your system?

Honestly while ASRs goal is laudable in terms of the pursuit of excellence. Remember that music is about fun, if you enjoy the quality to the point where you can focus on the music, rather than how good it sounds, nothing else matters.

This is one reason I love my Lintons, are they the most accurate speaker I own? No, not by a long shot, but they made me fall in love with music again, and for that I love them.

But it makes pianos sound like keyboards, man! And it messes up your stereo sound!
I want to be very clear. The WiiM Pro+ is an unbeatable value at $219 for a streamer with a DAC. It’s a great unit because it offers a fantastic UI with good and clean sound. I’m able to tap in to all my streaming services and apply a mild PEQ. However, if you think it’s the most resolving sound in the industry, then you could be fooling yourself. There’s only so much that can be done at that price point. WiiM has gone far and beyond with this unit. I’m very happy with my Pro+. However, this is the WiiM Ultra thread.

My intention isn’t bashing the Pro+ or to be overly cynical. It’s pointing out what aspects I’ll like to hear from a higher tier unit as a WiiM Ultra. My only two suggestions are a better DAC that can offer natural and richer tones with better soundstage. Expanded PEQ capabilities with room correction. Based on information provided this is all happening along with a slew of goodies like USB/Sub out/touchscreen and so forth. Hopefully the price point is between $299-$399.

Last edited:
Back